Felt AR5 Road Bike

• Tektro Quartz R741 SuperLight dual pivot brakes
  • Felt AeroR3 700c 30mm deep Aluminum

Submitted by Andrew Pierce a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    Review for the 2012 AR5. Super stiff and responsive when you get out of the saddle. The aero frame looks slick and there's probably a true advantage over flat long courses.

Weaknesses:    I'm 80kg/180lbs and 6' and the bike feels to climb okay. I previously owned an 08 Felt F1, and the 2012 AR5 doesn't climb anything compared to that, granted there's a 3.5 pound difference between the two bikes. Not a fan of the Shimano 105 5700, upgrading to Sram Force. Stock seat gave me some troubles so I changed to a specialized Romin. Wheels could use changing as well.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. And the frame is beautiful. I've ridden trek and kuota, and this has by far been my best bike. The frame is a lot stiffer and responsive than my 07 Felt F1. Don't know why that is but the difference was quite apparent. From what I can discern on Felt's website the AR5 down to the AR2 is the same exact frame, just different paint schemes, and the bikes are built w/ different wheels and components. The AR1 gets you into higher carbon-territory and lightness. For me, the 2012 AR5 paint scheme looked great and I've got Zipp 404 clinchers and Sram Force groupset. No arguments with the frame. Completely satisfied. Upgrade quickly from the 105 group set if you're concerned with weight. With my zipps and 105 group, the bike weighed around 18lbs flat (56cm frame). I'm hoping my force group will take off 1.5-1.25lbs.

Favorite Ride:   Flat and Fast