Felt F85 Road Bike

Red

WEIGHT
19.4 lbs.

FRAME
Felt Exclusive 7005 F-Lite custom-butted aluminum tubing. Externally relieved integrated head tube, forged dropouts with replaceable hanger

FORK
Felt Carbon Fiber Fork with Aluminum Steerer

DRIVETRAIN
Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur/105 20-speed Shifters and Front Derailleur, FSA Gossamer Aluminum with ISIS BB with 50/36T Chainrings, 650c 53/39

WHEELSET
Alex AKX 700c R2.0 wheelset, 700 x 23 Vittoria Action HSD Folding Tires; 650c Alex AKX R2.0TRI, 650 Felt Inertia

COMPONENTS
Felt Aluminum Bar with Ergonomic Drop, Felt 1.2 3D-Forged Stem, Felt 1.2 Saddle with Carbon Injected Base, Felt 1.3 Carbon Seatpost, Dual Pivot Aluminum Brakeset with Koolstop Cartridge Pads

Submitted by Nigel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2013

Strengths:    Finish is first class and the frame is by far the best in this price bracket in terms of build quality. The wheels are pretty good at this price point and the general ride quality is very good, if not a little harsh being all AL. Looks far more expensive to the untrained eye.

Weaknesses:    Not sure when Felt moved from Shimano 105 to Tiagra on this model but I'm about to upgrade back to 105 as the Tiagra components spoil a good bike. I changed the saddle after about 30 miles as again this is a budget component. I had a couple of spokes loosen off but my LBS fixed those.

Bottom Line:
Bought in January of 2013, I've been riding this bike for close to a year and as a first bike after many decades off two wheels it's a good place to start. It's not the best climber and the frame geometry is aimed at the road racer rather than the century rider but I've been generally pretty impressed with the bike. I rode my first century on it this Fall and had no issues. Nothing has broken and for the $1000 I paid this makes a great training or first road bike. My next bike will probably be a Felt and the F85 will be the indoor trainer

Purchased At:   WheelWorks, Davis, C

Bike Setup:   Fizik Aliante saddle, everything else original (upgrading drive chain and BB to Shimano 105 this winter)

Submitted by steve shepherd

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2013

Strengths:    Very light and good spec

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Having been a mountain biker for 20 years i decided to buy a road bike..I did my homework and whittled it down to 3 models and opted for the felt F85 in white...a cracking bike..fast and responsive...saddles seems a tad hard but it is new so i'll give it some more time to bed in. So far all good.

Submitted by Jonathan Ku

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2012

Strengths:    I brought the Felt F85 whilst on a budget and looking for a starter road bike, originally I had intended to purchase a Giant defy 3 or 4, which is approximately the same price in Hong Kong, however, after looking at the build quality of the Felt, and the use of components, I immediately dropped all notions of getting a Giant bike and instead focusing on the Felt. I've had the bike for a few months now, and it has been an absolute joy to ride, especially on flat or uphill/downhill, even roads. Had no problems whatsoever with the bike and am mightily impressed. I get all sorts of looks whilst riding, as the bike is indeed a very attractive one.

Weaknesses:    The brakes pads need changing, as these are relatively weaker than most other bikes I've rode on. The front derailleur also requires significantly more strength to shift, and does not change gears easily while travelling at medium pace. Generally, before the uphill part, I go as fast as I can and change the gears instead of a gentle ride uphill.

Bottom Line:
Great value for money, excellent base model to start upgrading from, no problems or major causes of concern. In all, an excellent bike for training and the occasional race here and there.

Submitted by Jay Habit

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great bike. The other bikes I looked at were a bit more expensive but offer less. I feel this is a solid road bike. After bike fitting it was amazing. I would buy again.

Weaknesses:    At this point weaknesses are minimal. I have logged 80 miles in four days and don't have a complaint.

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money. My riding partner is impressed with looks as is everyone. I would buy again. I saved 800 dollars from the carbon I was looking at with inferior components. Buy the Felt.

Submitted by Hans

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    Great over all bike for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Anything negative about the bike would be the gear changers, it takes a lot of pushing to get the gears changed but it one of these things that one gets what one pays for.....or maybe get use to it....

Bottom Line:
First of all I have to say that this is my first road bike and I have only put less than 20 hours on it. However as a first experience, this bike is great!! Fast, stiff, strong and very light (at least to what I am use to)

2012 F85 Bottom bracket upgrade

Hi, I would like to upgrade my chainset and have the choice of two different bottom brackets. The first is a PF30 and the second a BSA Thread. Would either of these choices fit my Felt F85, which is currently fitted with an internal square taper BB Many thanks JamieRead More »

Felt LBS in SoCal for F85/Z85

Does anyone know (assuming living in Southern California / LA area) where there's an LBS with any Z85 or F85 bikes _in stock_? Almost every local LBS I've visited (which had Felt or not) only has road bikes > $2000 in price. All the ones I've visited who have Felt bikes only have one or two on the ... Read More »

Felt f85 2013

Hello everyone, im looking into buying an f85, as a first road bike does anyone have any experience with this model or have any words of encouragemnt for this particular model ? thanks in advance!Read More »

2012 Felt F85 for $700 cash? Is this a good first road bike?

This will be my first road bike. I've been riding a Trek 7.2 and loved it, until my riding buddy went and bought a Specialized Allez. Now I've got to get a new bike. :) I had never heard of Felt bikes but another friend of my just picked up a Felt F85 for $700. I did some reading about Felt and ... Read More »

Canyon Roadlite AL 6.0 vs Felt F85 vs Giant TCR 1

Which? All are on sale for around £600-£900, but which is better? All seem to run 105 throughout or at least some parts, but which should I choose?Read More »