Felt F90 Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless OS Aheadset
Front Der: Shimano Sora Triple
Crankset: FSA RPM Alloy, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Tiagra
Pedals: aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 25c Felt w/Kevlar belt

Submitted by Thomas P a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    A good base for starting off. Carbon fiber in the necessary places (fork legs and seat post), I actually prefer the 8 speed components to the Shimano 9 speed.

I've built bikes on my own for less, but none had the subtle feel of quality that this bike has.

Weaknesses:    Seat is pretty uncomfortable. "Ergonomic" bend on handlebars not long enough for my medium sized hands, so it made riding in the drops more undomfortable than it should have been. Heavy cheap parts (crank, bottom bracket, handlebars). Chain has no quick link. Top bar brakes get in the way of shifting in the drop bar position. Frame is aluminum, so it's not quite as comfortable as my steel counterparts, but still not so horrible that I don't want to ride.

Bottom Line:
I tried a couple of different bikes in the price range (mostly Raleigh bikes), and the total package on this bike tended to feel better than on other ones stocked at my local bike shops.

Purchased this bike as a training bike to build up my legs and to hopefully last a while even if I crashed. The bike is actually pretty stable and predictable compared to what I am used to. Changing lines mid turn is not very difficult and I have yet to have a crash on this bike. A lot of the components are on the heavy/cheap side, which is to be expected. Felt did a good job putting money in the right places (derailluer, wheels only needed minor truing and not that heavy), but cheapened out on the handlebar and crank, which I was fine with considering the cost. When I decided to fork out for an upgrade the new parts were truly an upgrade as opposed to a change in parts. Some components, such as the wheels and crank, ended up being transferred to another bike once they were upgraded on the Felt.

I never had a flat with the tires that came stock. I haven't worn them out yet, but they have been transferred to a set of really heavy, cheap wheels that I have for training sessions where I want to torture myself.

Favorite Ride:   Oxygen rich northern Wisconsin

Purchased At:   Triathlon World, Ken

Similar Products Used:   Various 80's road bikes in various forms from completely vintage to old steel frames with all modern components.

Bike Setup:   Oval Concepts R500 handlebars & Slam Aero bars, Speedplay X5 pedals, Shimano 105 5603 crank, Shimano WH-R560 wheels, seat that I have had for ages.

Submitted by BikerXJ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    It does everything well for the lower-end category of road bikes.

Weaknesses:    I got numerous flats at first because the rims were cutting the stems on the tube. After a little bit of filing and new rim tape, I've not had a single flat.

Crankset is not very stiff.

Bottom Line:
Overall, very impressed. Great Value for the $. With other brands you pay for the name; with Felt you just get a great bike. Put over 1700 miles on it just riding it 3 months during the summer.

Favorite Ride:   Smooth roads with long climbs

Purchased At:   Carolina Fatz

Submitted by todd a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    Responsive, predictable, and comfortable

Weaknesses:    cost, but you get what you pay for !!

Bottom Line:
Eddy builds the best bikes, period. I've ridden a 7-11 TSX Merckx sine '88 and tried two different rides due to finances and was disappointed. The craftmanship and ride quality are amazing and consistent from bike to bike.

Favorite Ride:   Eddy Merckx

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5900, Colnago C40, Klein Team Carbon, Specialized Works, and Giant TCR

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium SSL, Merckx seatpost/saddle, Arundel H20 cages, Dura-Ace pedals

Submitted by jinman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great value for a beginner

Weaknesses:    Seat is horribly uncomfortable
Sora Shifters hard to reach from the drops

Bottom Line:
I was amazed at the difference between my old mountain bike and the Felt. First road bike I have ridden for a significant amount of time, and I am very pleased. The only problem I have had so far was the stock seat. It was terrible...replacing it with a Koobi AU Enduro solved the problem. Since I'm a biking noob, I don't much else to say except that as a biking noob, I have been more than satisfied with the Felt.

Favorite Ride:   MCT Schoolhouse trail