Felt Z45 Road Bike

Our most affordable carbon fiber frame is made with High Modulus carbon fiber, a no compromise material that yields plenty of comfortable vertical compliance and vibration damping without surrendering all-important torsional stiffness for efficient power transfer. A full carbon fiber fork adds additional comfort and precise handling. A 27-speed Shimano drivetrain gives solid performance along with great value.

Submitted by dliska a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame, attractively priced, good looks

Weaknesses:    Will require some upgrades to be a true race bike, but it is well worth it and the same is true for most sub $4000 bikes.

Bottom Line:
I do 400 miles a week and my F1 was a little too rough for such work, so I wanted a comfortable bike for training that could also be raced if the need arose. I was originally looking at the Z35, but the shop had a Z45 in the same size and I liked the yellow/ carbon look much better. I planned on upgrading the gruppo to RED 2011 when it comes out anyway, so that fact that it is a Tiagra/105 mix vs. pure 105 does not really matter to more anyway. That said I was very surprised at the shifting quality once dialed in. Rear shifting feels just as good as my old 9 speed Dura ace, probably due to the 105 rear. Front shifting is decent, though a little slow, but I hardly user the small ring anyway so it’s not much of an issue for me. Going with the Z45 also allowed be buy some upgrades immediately. Time carbon Ti pedals/ SLR seat/Arundel bottle cages/Zipp slc2 bars. So it is now actually lighter than the Z35. I also tried the Z15, but did not like the UHM frame as it was less comfortable and only saves 100 grams or so. I think it’s more for marketing than anything. My F1 is a nano hybrid frame which is the best of both worlds although very expensive. It’s surprising that felt uses HM carbon on even their entry level bikes as most manufactures use standard modulus carbon, and only use HM on higher end frames. The frame is really what makes this bike. One of the best frames on the market, the components I admit are a little hit and miss, but that is to be expected at this price, and frame is well worth upgrading. In fact I liked the bike enough that I started using it in longer races and climbing stages as the longer wheel base and more stable platform is more suited for this than my F1. I had to switch out wheels as the stock ones are bricks, but it performed great. Two wins, including a state climbing championship, and a third place in four races. I’m going to do some more upgrades in the off season and will race it a lot more next season.

Similar Products Used:   Felt F1

Giant carbon BC (on DT)
Thompson masterpiece seat post
Zipp carbon spacers
Steerer tube cut
3T ARX team stem (-17 degrees)
Conti grand prix 4000s tires

Submitted by erockem a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, color, fit, and style.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are not fantastic, they could use a $600 upgrade.

Bottom Line:
God I love this thing. The 2009 Z45 is all carbon fiber, it's light and fast. Being a 200 lbs. guy this bike still rocks. Very little effort is needed to move the bike. Ergonomically speaking, this bike fits the body well for tours where you spend long hours in the saddle. My shortest ride was 62 miles and my longest has been 100 miles back to back for 200 miles in two days. The bike never left me sore or tired after these rides.

The seat is fair, no padding but it does the job with little discomfort.

Wheels may be the weakness. I realize because of the price point it has what it has, invest in a good set of bontrager someday.

Favorite Ride:   All of them

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   1982 Huffy 10 Speed.

Bike Setup:   Stock with SPD-L pedals.

Z45 carbon ride question

I am looking at an 09 Z45 for $1500. I am comparing it to a Specialized Roubiax base carbon frame for $1700. The base carbon of the Roubiax does not look as good as the felt frame, but I am no expert on carbon. The geometry seems to be close on both and I like the more upright position of the Roubia ... Read More »

09 Felt Z45 vs Roubiax compact base(Synapse)

I am in the market for a road bike to do fitness and social rides, no racing. I was first looking at the aluminum framed bikes that seem to be the rage right now. After talking to people and reading the fourums, I am concerned that the ride of those may be to rough for what I want and I am looking f ... Read More »