FOCUS Bikes Izalco Ergo Ride Road Bike

The Izalco Ergo-R offers a fined tuned balance of speed comfort and performance. An ideal bike for your next Gran Fondo or demanding century ride.

Submitted by redcon1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff yet compliant frame, quality of materials.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest at 17.4 lbs stock.

Bottom Line:
The Focus brand has suffered in the USA mostly due to it's early relationship with Performance bike, so it is seen as a discount brand. Nevertheless, some excellent bike shops are now selling Focus and recongize them as a quality brand. I'm glad I was able to find such a shop and ride an Izalco Ergo demo bike.

I had previously looked at Trek Domane and Specialized Roubaix and demo'd an SL3 Roubaix before trying out the Focus Izalco Ergo. To me the Roubaix was compliant but too Flexy for my 175lbs while sprinting out of the saddle. The Ergo is very comfortable over rough pavement with the built in compliance from the frame, but plenty stiff when I hammer out of the saddle. For me this was a perfect compromise.

The 3.0 factory spec of full SRAM Force (including compact crankset) is excellent and the FSA cockpit seems perfect for me. Wasn't thrilled about the Fizik Alliante saddle but have grown to like it. The Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset, although not the lightest, is adequate, and I love the spec'd 24mm Conti Grand Prix tires... not sure you can buy them in this size, though?

The build quality, and fit & finish is impeccable. Overall I love the bike and with a wheelset upgrade it is perfect for me. At a price cheaper than a similarly spec'd Roubaix or Domane, I think I made the right choice.

Favorite Ride:   South Central PA routes