Fuji Bicycles Altamira Special Edition Frameset Road Bike

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

This Fuji Altamira Special Edition is the same 'pro-level' frameset that was designed to win Grand Tours, which means that it is seriously comfortable for long miles, but light and responsive enough to climb like a banshee when you put the power to the pedals.

Submitted by Rick Studley a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2014

Strengths:    Very strong climbing bike and relatively comfortable for a full-on race bike. The bike seems to let you maintain a higher power output for a longer duration. Last ride was 73 miles at an average of 202W, and we weren't killing it by any means.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't feel natural, or comfortable, when sprinting out of the saddle, while in the drops... (maybe some flex somewhere in the frame?) Feels best when climbing in the saddle, but I can live with that.

Bottom Line:
I'm 5-11 & 3/4" tall, weight 190lbs, and bought the size 55 frameset (57.5cm top tube)... Although I probably could have sized down, I'm happy with the fit.

I've got the black-on-black frameset, which I'm slowly warming to (hey, looks are important too). I built up the frame with Ultegra 6800 components, including a mid-compact, and 11-32 rear cassette (a good combination). I don't think I've ever used the 32t cog, but it's there for the odd 15% section. rounding out the build is a very nice FSA SLK carbon fiber handlebar (short/shallow), Fizik Aliante saddle, and a set of Mavic SL wheels. My old bike is a 2007 Look 585 Pro Team, which I liked very much, but set it aside when I got a great deal on a 2013 Fuji Altamira 3.0 from Performance Bike ($1,299)... It was double-points weekend, so I scored an Ultegra 10-speed groupset w/ my points, a D/A 7900 crannkset on EBay, and the PB mechanic installed everything for free. While the Altamira 3.0 built up to over 20lbs it became my go-to bike for its combination ultra-stiff bottom bracket and comfortable seat stays (they're like springs). After riding the 3.0 for six months, I decided to build up a (much lighter) Special Edition frameset... I bought all components at sale prices (I purchased the entire groupset and bars from Performance Bike). The new bike built up to 16.8lbs with all the usual stuff included (Shimano D/A pedals, bottle cages, Lezyne frame pump, saddle bag, mini-tool, spare tube, tire wedge, front & rear flashing lights).

How does it ride? In a word, "awesome"... I put in 200 miles & 16,535' of climbing on the bike this past week, and set Strava PR's on each of the three days I rode. I'm not a Strava fanatic, and use it mostly to record my efforts (for myself). I've not done any long (> 3 miles steep climbs), but a bunch of long 5 - 7% climbs and shorter 10%+ climbs of 1-1/4 mile or less, and the feeling is amazing. The first thing you notice is that you can maintain a constant effort, and where you might expect the speed to start tailing off, it just keeps humming along. If you cannot climb on this bike, it's NOT the bike.

Finally... the Ultegra 6800 groupset is pretty nice... The chain switches between cogs with little effort or drama - it's really nice. The Front Derailleur is another story. When shifting from the big ring (52t) to the small ring (36t) it takes a good 1/4 revolution of the chainset to drop the chain to the smaller ring. I'm also trying to get used to the the shift timing to avoid unseemly clunking of the drive train... My Ultegra 6700 groupset seems to shift quicker, and is more intuitive in letting off and reengaging pedal force when shifting. The 6800 also has a huge sweep to move the chain from one ring to the next... Kind of odd, but I'm getting used to it. I may swap the 6800 FD for a D/A.

In summary... Highly recommended and you won't see yourself coming and going.

Favorite Ride:   Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway

Purchased At:   Ebay & Performance B

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Altamira 3.0 (Ultegra 6700), Serotta HSG-IT, Look 585 Pro Team

Bike Setup:   Fuji Special Edition Frameset, Ultegra 6800 (mid-compact), Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset, FSA SLK Carbon short/shallow bars, D/A carbon pedals, Fizik Aliante saddle, Fizik R3 shoes (really, really nice)

Submitted by Francisco Ortiz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    comfort, looks, stiffness,

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
From the moment I rode this bike I liked it, it felt very comfortable. Last week I put it to the test riding my first century. I tell you folks I now love this bike. On the uphills I was passing Pinarellos, Treks and Specialized. I was shocked. I could have rode more than a hundred miles. This bike in nowhere in the price range of the other bikes but is the same quality. I am so glad I bought this frame. I mounted Ultegra components and reynolds carbon wheels.

Favorite Ride:   horrible hundred Florida

Purchased At:   competitive cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel Talon

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, reylnolds wheels

Submitted by ACar a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Seriously love this bike!!! The ride quality is so smooth and the frame eats up road vibration so well its amazing. I was shocked to feel the difference going from an aluminum frame with carbon fork/seat tube to this frame. I also have a carbon TT bike and again the ride quality on this frame is awesome in comparison. This bike flies up hill, the frame handles the power transfer very well which just makes it so much fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found so far.

Bottom Line:
My first ride on this bike was a fifty mile ride and I could easily kept riding for another fifty miles. Great frame you will not be disappointed.