Fuji Bicycles Newest 4.0 Road Bike

• Shifters: Shimano SL-R400 down tube shifter, 24-speed
  • Chain: KMC Z-72
  • Spokes: 14G Stainless Steel
  • Brake set: Tektro R-310A Forged AL dual pivot
  • Headset: Ritchey LB 1 1/8"
  • Stem: Fuji Adjustable Road Aluminum

Submitted by John M. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Very nice looking bike.

Weaknesses:    As noted in review summary

Bottom Line:
From the beginning the tubes on the bike kept exploding by filling the tire to recommend pressure engraved on the tire. It wasn't until I went online and purchased after market tires and heavy duty tubes that the problem stopped. Then, the spokes on the bike started breaking. At this point I called Fuji and said how disappointed I was in this most expensive bike. Fuji sent me upgraded wheels to rectified this problem. By the way the steering of the bike is very much inferior to other bikes I have owned that were much cheaper. Due to the geometry of the offset handle bar that causing the bike to over steer and in turn the rider looses the their balance and sometime crashes is something to always watch out for.

Purchased At:   Sport Challel

Submitted by TheComplementor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is very durable and could take a beating. Its also light, fast, smooth, and affordable.

Weaknesses:    Down tube shifters are a hassle at times, but not too hard to use after a while. Chain clanks onto the front derailleur, but easily avoided by tapping on the shifter(might just be out of tune) and catches my shorts as I take off or get off. Nothing too bad. Easily avoidable and fixable.

Bottom Line:
Im a newcommer into this whole road bike thing and I must say its very addicting.I was looking around craigslist for a beginners bike and saw this Fuji Newest 4.0 Its a nice entry level bike,frame very durable, light, fast and eye candy as well.

Favorite Ride:   Wherever the sun shines

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   CST slick tires, and a bottle cage. Other than that its stock.

Submitted by Ian a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Very durable frame. Bike can take a lot of punishment. Comfortable ride for the price

Weaknesses:    Shifting is a little clackity but it works fine. The shifters take quite a while to adjust to. You are shifting with the same leavers as when you brake. Braking is very good.

Bottom Line:
I have not had a road bike for quite a while. This bike has been performing great. It is durable. It took a couple of weeks for me to adjust to it but once I did I had no problems with it. I have put on it about 1000 miles on it thus far.

Favorite Ride:   Road

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Performance bikes set me up with it. They had measured me properly.

Submitted by Reclaim3r a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    The number one strength is the price of this bike. MSRP is 500$, I got it for 429 (455 after taxes). Other than that, as a first time road bike rider, it seems to be a smooth ride for the most part... feels light.

Weaknesses:    The number one weakness of this bike is the down tube shifters, but as another reviewer pointed out, that is what makes this bike so affordable. When I was looking at this bike and considering buying it, this was a big turn off at first. In the past, I had problems of bumping the down tube shifters with my knees. But luckily, I do not have that problem with these down tube shifters. As an inexperienced down tube shifter, I was easily distracted while changing gears and I popped the chain a couple of times. The gears are also a little clanky, but this might be due to improper set up... I'm getting it readjusted in the near future. I also plan at some point to upgrade the shifters to STI.

The right end cap on the handlebars popped off and I lost it on the first day of owning the bike. Also, the handlebars are a tad creaky, but this also could be due to improper setup.

All in all though... no huge problems that make the 430$ not worth it.

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike. I bought it because of the modest price, but decent performance. I spent about 2 weeks scouring the internet and my local bike shops for a good entry level bike, but came up with no luck. I was seeing some 2003 models popping up on eBay that were my size, but they were in the 400-500s, plus like 75+ for shipping, and used. Eventually, I found this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Fuji Newest 4.0

Purchased At:   Cycle Sport and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Just cheap mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock at the moment

Submitted by inspector a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    it has 24 gears with the olde school shifting and brake system. the shifter is on the down tube and it has the dual brake system. olde school....but, plenty practical if you don't shift at every speed bump in the road. i did put a new rear cassette on the bike. i felt it was too geared to racing, rather than hill climbing. no problems with the transfer and a longer chain. the bike also accomidates a rear rack with the brazeons. sweet! price! a real bargain considering the prices of other roadies.

Weaknesses:    it is not the lightest bike in the shop. but, it is sturdy and resposive. for my riding purposes, i switched the stock cassette for a more hill climbing cassette. the pedals had to switched to accomidate toe clips.

Bottom Line:
i'm a snow bird in tucson, az and needed a new road bike to do club rides with. after kicking the tires a few times with this fuji, i decided, for the price, i neede to take the cheap plundge. the only other road bike i had down here was a 1987 cannondale road bike. soooo, with all the features i was looking for, the fuji would be, and has been, a wonderful investment.

Favorite Ride:   any arizona ride

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   i ride a 1987 cannondale roadie...a 2004 mongoose morzine pro.

Bike Setup:   24 speeds with the shifter on the down tube. dual brake system. nice granny set up.

tiempo vs fuji newest 4.0 or used fuji newest 1.0

I am confused with what to buy as my first road bike and would appreciate help from you guys. Here are the two options i have, tommaso tiempo(450$) vs fuji newest 4.0(440$). There is also a used fuji newest 1.0 for 660$ (all including the taxes). The previous owner apparently fell and returned the ... Read More »

Fuji Newest 4.0

alright im in a delemma. i know there has been tons of threads of people trying to get cheap road bikes and what know but im venturing to road bikes from casually mountain biking. I want to get a cheaper road bike as my wife and i just bought our first house and i dont have much cash. I was looking ... Read More »

2006 Fuji Newest 4.0

Hello Out there, Can anyone help me? Is it a good price (am I nuts?)........ What would be a good asking price? Look below for more details..... Found this on craigslist: 2006 Fuji Newest 4.0 - L - 54cm for $450- ($400) The bike is in excellent shape - practically brand new, hardly ri ... Read More »