Fuji Bicycles Roubaix RC Road Bike

• Wheelset: NEW Shimano RS-10, 700c clincher
  • Saddle: Fuji UltraLite Racing

Submitted by CDStall a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, great looks, solid frame, great in flats, good starting components, comfortable geometry for a taller guy, price.
Biggest strength would be above 25mph. From here and above the bike seemed to take on a new persona, no vibration, incredibly stable up to 40mph (as fast as I ever took it) and it felt very aero. Once you get past the initial sprint start this bike can fly in the flats and whip past most riders. Plus the paint scheme looks great when you speed by others

Weaknesses:    Not very stiff. When I really wanted to fly I felt like the bike wasn't always with me, more like a pedal stroke behind. I also always felt a bit sluggish on hills. I am a strong climber, but in this case I thought the bike was a bit sluggish on the ups. I don't know if this was just a feature of the gearing or the frame itself. Also if I really cranked up a hill I could hear the bike straining under the tension and weight (not a big guy 6'1 165lbs)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike a little over a year ago and have put some serious miles on it. I bought it in 09, but it was an 08 so I got a good deal on it.

It has been a great ride so far. The carbon seat stays are fantastic and absorb most of the road noise and chip and seal (which often turns to gravel) providing a really smooth ride. The upgraded fork (as compared to lower model Roubaixs) helps to set the bike a part. It too absorbs a lot of shock and its design just looks killer.
I had researched bikes a lot and decided I wanted carbon to help out on weight and comfort for the coming road season, but wanted alum for the price and durability. This seemed to be the best option. It was cheaper than Treks or Specialized of the same build, which is great for cyclists on a budget and from a quality standpoint rivals anything on the market of its class.
I really enjoyed riding it. While the components aren't what are generally thought of as race worthy they suited me for a beginning racer. Shifting was smooth and easy. Occasionally, it required tuning and tightening of cables, but that is to be expected after a few thousand miles. It never gave me any problems and always performed well.
Unfortunately, I had a terrible crash in a my last race and I essentially totaled the bike. Multiple riders rode over the frame and crashed into it. I am sad to see such a nice bike in so many pieces.

Favorite Ride:   Darmstadt

Purchased At:   St. Louis LBS

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1500 SLR, Trek 1000C

Bike Setup:   Stock parts (105/Ultegra Blend on the drive train, FSA Gossamer Crank, Cane Creek Brakes).
Upgraded the wheels from the heavy and ugly shimanos to Neuvation ML-5s. The wheel upgrade was huge for racing. If you want this for casual riding I think you would be satisfied with the stock wheels, but invest the tiny sum in neuvations instead.

Submitted by Mr. Chairman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Strengths:    The Fuji Roubaix RC comes with a nice blend of performance and durability... at an affordable price.

Weaknesses:    I had some minor problems with the stock crank set (wear on teeth, causing chain to come off). So, I upgraded to Ultegra to match up more nicely with the rear derailleur.

Bottom Line:
I am an intermediate rider, and this is my second road bike. I had a Specialized Allez, and loved it, but came across the Fuji Roubaix RC and decided to upgrade. This bike is light weight, responsive, and well-built.
I upgraded the crank set to Shimano Ultegra, so now the entire drivetrain is Ultegra which is expected to improve overall performance.

Favorite Ride:   MS Bay to Bay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez Sport

Submitted by hasanbaydoun a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    - Components
- rides very smooth
- great stiffness
-responsive and maneuverable

Weaknesses:    - saddle and seatpost (too short)
- wheelset and tires

Bottom Line:
My first road bike. took the advice of a friend of mine who said i'll be getting the most bang for the buck if I go with the Roubaix RC. Enjoye riding it all over town, but use it mostly for group rides. I still own another bike for commuting.
After riding for a month, I decided the seat definitely needed the upgrade. I'm still looking to upgrade the wheels, and the seatpost. It has however performed very well for me, and extrememly satisfied with my choice. Actually, I'm even proud of how fast it rides. Comes up to speed easily, with it being very light (17lbs).
the paint job/ finishing is great. everybody compliments me on it.
All the reviews mention the weakness of the wheelset. I've not had any problems with them so far (1000 miles), even though i weigh a decent 200 lbs. I will upgrading the wheelset, but not for durability issues. I just want a new racing wheelset

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   specialized BG saddle
cheap shimano pedals
still looking to upgrade the seatpost and wheelset

Submitted by James a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    Frameset appears awesome. Xero wheelset is at least as light (1800g) as Mavic competition, the spokes are easy to replace, bearings are cup/cones. Fuij carbon post, oversized bars and stem all work well and are easy to adjust. The FSA crankset is superb, looks great too. Finally, Ultegra group is my optimal price/performance choice.

Weaknesses:    No pedals...why not? I need pedals to ride. At least whack on some Ultegra pedals, which would be cheap for Fuji to include for the buyer to then sell at a later date if they did not like them. If its about personalisation of the bike, why not take the saddle off too? So many people change the saddle. Stupid policy in the bike industry which needs changing. I bought some cheapo Shimano pedals, but would have liked to have Ultegra supplied.

Tubes are from Chen Shin company and weigh about 65g. Ridiculously thin. Seriously, why not splash a fraction more on some better tubes like Vittoria Ultralights, which aren't going to flat on the first ride out.

Bottom Line:
Strong finishing kit on a great frameset. The fork is one I remember considering buying in the past, so its excellent in its own right. The frame feels nice, sufficiently compliant to not hurt after a 50 mile ride, but very stiff when out of the saddle and pulling on the bars. I have already ridden over a 2 inch rock and pinch punctured both tyres, yet the rims remain round. Advisable to get a torque wrench to correctly tighten the bolts on the carbon steerer and seatpost.

Similar Products Used:   GT Edge, custom, about 7kg,
Barrelia 531 steel,
Ribble 6000 series alu frame
Schwinn Fastback Pro

Bike Setup:   Standard set up with new tubes and some cheap Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by jsueker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    - Ultegra shifting
- Light and fast
- Surprisingly durable
- Entry-level sport racer
- Forgiving on potholes
- Handling pretty stable on descents.
- Aggressive geometry, but not painfully so.

Weaknesses:    - Wheels: They were honestly fantastic for the first year and a half. But then a factory over-tightening made it impossible to remove the freehub body (turning a $30 repair into a $200 one).
- Tires: They're really crap, but not a big deal.
- Full double crank: For this price range, the gearing is a bit high. A coupact or more relaxed rear would be better.
- Not a great climber out of the saddle - a bit squishy.
- Brakes are pretty good, but not great. Upgrade if you race or do crazy hills.
- Keep an eye on your BB.
- Get's a bit twitchy at speeds above 35mph, but that may be due to my own stem/wheel mis-allignment.

Bottom Line:
- This was my first road bike, bought with insurance money after an MTB was stolen. I commute and ride 50-200 miles per week. I'm 6'0" and 175lbs. I ride a 58cm.
- The bike is light and fast. It best suits me for 30-60 mile weekend rides, though I use it for daily commuting as well and like the speed.
- The componentry is pretty high-end for the price, but the frame has also held up well. I can't really speak to its quality.
- The frame is nicely supple on potholes, but slighly squishy when climbing (compared to an all alu Cannondale). After two flips and some drops, no cracks (checked recently).
- I've put around 4000 miles on it, flipped twice, fallen once, been hit once and dropped it over 10 times and it is in great shape.
- Things I've replaced:
- Tires: Was flatting every week in the city. Now run Hutchinson Fusion 2s, never flat.
- Wheels. After two flips the wheels never went out of true (ALX 320s), but finally after about 3K miles and thousands of potholes the rear popped a spoke and then developed a loose freehub body that couldn't be removed. Run Mavic open pro/ultegras now.
- Casette - after over-stretching my chain, opted for a 12-27 rear to make climbs easier.
- Seat, but who likes their seat?
- Bottom bracket (integrated) loosened up and started clicking twice.

Favorite Ride:   W & OD Trail (outside DC)

Purchased At:   Big Wheel Bikes