Gary Fisher AR Super Road Bike

• Cassette: SRAM PG950 12-26T, 9spd
  • Handlebar: Bontrager SSR VR OS

Submitted by Vacationer

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2013

Strengths:    Look

Weaknesses:    Durability of transmission

Bottom Line:
I've got this bike 3 years now (since 2010). I started looking for a new bike after summer 2009 for the next season of 2010. I saw this bike and I really liked it because of that marvelous sky blue paint. This bike is really good looking. Well... at that time it was quite expensive £699 and I had all winter to look. I've been looking time after time all around internet for sales on this bike. Anyway... I bought it on April 2010 for £580 because of last year model and only few shops still had it.
This bike is beautiful. People on the street telling me that. Time after time I hear: nice bike mate, you got nice bike and so on... This is really gratifying...
Also ride is quite soft on this bike. Even if you are riding bumpy road.
Bad side is that after 2000 miles, gears started shifting itself. I'm bit disappointing by Shimano 105, because before I had Shimano Sora and there was no problem at all for 5k or 6k miles.
Still I'm giving 5/5 because this is really nice bike

Submitted by JH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    Very smooth. Light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I traded in my 2000 specialized allez with ultegra components to this one with tiagra/105 components. The quality of the ride on this Gary Fisher completely blows the old specialized out of the water. The frame geometry is comfortable and the carbon form and seat post make the ride very bumpy. I'm a recreational rider so I don't notice any downgrade in the shifting and the increased comfort more than make up for it for me.

Purchased At:   Kijiji

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez A1 2000

Bike Setup:   Stock parts.

Submitted by Bubba a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff efficient frame, good value for the price.

Weaknesses:    Did not like the paired spoke wheels very much. However, everyone has abandoned those now.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. I did make a few changes, but the bike has held up well after three years of hard riding. I have used this for criteriums, biathlons, triathlons, and cross state tours (supported). The only parts that has worn out over the three years (besides tires and chains) has been the bottom bracket.

Bike Setup:   Swapped out to 105 crankset with external cups. Built another set of wheels for training and touring.

Submitted by Mark B a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Semi compact geometry, Fast, light & stiff frame, carbon forks, Tiagra shifters & 105 at the rear. Excellent base to upgrade into a serious racer. Eye catching, unique paint job!

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle a bit firm, initial ride a bit firm/bumpy.

Bottom Line:
A good solid Alu contender, very fast, light-ish in stock form, excellent value for money. I have owned this bike for 2 years this month (May 2011) and have covered approx 5000 miles! What a frame! What a lovely paint job! One of the most visually attractive bikes I have ever seen! every ride I go on someone always comments on how nice my bike look even now, 2 years on. Gary Fisher is not well known in the UK, and then only by hardcore oldskool mountain bikers...so this bike is different by default! The roads of south London & Surrey are full of TREKs, Bianchi, Specialized...all decent wheels but nothing to make you look twice. Anyway, in comparison with the current wave of top end Alu framed bikes out at the moment, even my 2 year old Gary Fisher has held its value very well againts the current trend. You currently have to pay £800+ for a bike with Tiagra shifters! and even then you're still looking at Sora & low end FSA components!

Favorite Ride:   Croydon to London nightride

Purchased At:   Compton Cycles Catfo

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh - Team Persuit(Late eighties), TREK 7.3FX(2008) Trek 1.5 double(2009).

Bike Setup:   i have replaced saddle with a Scott speed saddle(white), FSA compact crankset replaced by shimano Dura Ace 7700(double), replaced stock SSR wheels with shimano Ultegra wheelset! Who needs to spend 2K+ on a road bike just because it has a carbon frame!

Submitted by jusdvdmason314 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable ride good shifting and braking

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side(for now),me too (for now)

Bottom Line:
First ride wasn't as great as i'd hope didn't seem that fast until the guys i ride with stopped taking turns setting the pace then i new i had picked up the pace a bit and afterwards i wasn't as sore as usual. I'll get plenty of miles in while the weather holds and this winter with upgrades get the weight down

Favorite Ride:   Baumholder triathlon loop

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   I own 2 Gary Fisher mountain bikes and rode a vintage Fuji S-12 road bike

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Bontrager carbon stem (team edition) and Bontrager carbon race lite water bottle cages (lite blue matches the bike pretty good)

gary fisher ar super 55 vs trek 1.5 56

I'm thinking of buying an 09 Gary Fisher AR Super 55c, which is at my LBS at a discount. I'm not sure about the size, though. When I punch in my numbers to online frame size calculators, I get 56c recommended. (I am 5' 10.5'' and my pants inseam is 31"). The store sales guy says that the AR Supe ... Read More »

Gary Fisher AR Super

I went down to my LBS with my heart set on new Trek 2.1, and low and behold they had the new AR Super in blue and ARC Super in black. The AR Super especially caught my eye. I rode both the AR and the 2.1 and both were nice, but I walked out with the AR Super. Component-wise the 2.1 and the AR ... Read More »

Why is the GF AR Super Compact cheaper?

The GF comes with Tiagra/105 and sells for $1,039.99 The 1.5 comes with Sora/Tiagra and sells for $1,039.99 The 2.1 comes with Tiagra/105 and sells for $1,259.99 So why the $220 price difference? Am I missing something or is it just last years model?Read More »