Giant Anyroad Road Bike

This all-new one-of-a-kind bike is designed with a lightweight yet durable ALUXX alloy frame featuring a taller headtube and increased toptube stand-over distance for confident handling. AnyRoad’s wide range of gears, ergo-shaped handlebars and user-friendly disc braking system with specially designed levers make it easy to ride on smooth or bumpy roads-or even dirt. Its wide, puncture-proof 32c tires let you explore without any worries. Anywhere, any weather, AnyRoad.

Submitted by DavidAlanEastTexas

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    Amazingly versatile bike. I wanted a 'rough road roadbike' for our gravel filled, pot-holed East Texas county roads. This one is perfect for the task. But, on smooth pavement, it feels as well sorted - better actually, than most road bikes I have or have ridden. As my son, a Cat 2 racer noted: "This bike has amazing balance, the handling & nimble-ness are far above average..." Also, it manages to soften the bumps & imparts a 'ride me all day long, lively carbon frame feel'. Amazing considering the weight is 24#. (I am told the full carbon version of this bike, the Anyroad Comax, is 21 #) But the bike rolls smooth & sweet. Only on a steep incline does the weight become apparent. But the 9 speed Sora cassette has just right gears to make it go quick, quicker than a cycloross gravel bike should. On my first group ride, I was able to keep up with the Cat 2-3 leaders just a few ticks behind, and in sight on a 20% grade. Even there, I stayed in the middle front chainring. On this 'lower tier' Anyroad 2 (2015) model, it's a 3x9 Shimano Sora group. Which is fine with me, as I was wanting a unique 'Cross-capable Gravel & rough road bike' - so I don't gripe about a bit of extra weight. When I want fast, I can hop on my Track bike or 10 speed Full Carbon GT roadbike. High marks to the Avid BB Disc brakes. Though mechanically cable operated, they offer superb stopping power & modulating ability. My first experience with any Discs on a road type bike, I am impressed with the feel & stopping power vs. typical rim brakes. They seem to offer 50% more stopping power in any situation. Hard to see any downsides in terms of their operation, and several upsides.

Another advantage was the nice price. It was just $ 1049 - a relative bargain, and got 10% off on the model year clearance.

I have heard the Anyroad Comax, Carbon version is about $ 2000 - which now seems very reasonable considering the great virtues of this unique design.

Weaknesses:    The only possible one could be the weight, 24#. But I must add: every subjective impression - how it handles, the immediate & pleasureable pedal responsiveness, belies the weight. The bike feels every bit as livley as my 17 # carbon road bike, so it's perhaps a theoretical objection.

No 2 nd water bottle cage holes. (frame size won't allow)

No pannier rack mounts

Bottom Line:
I've only done 3 rides & less than 100 miles, but am thoroughly impressed so far. I ride 5000 miles a year, so this bike is set to get a workout very shortly. I look forward to our local group rides - to see how & if it helps me or hinders me from keeping pace with the others.

The Unique frame, where the top tube & seat stays connect in a full arc, have both aesthetically & practically appeal. As the saying goes: 'Form follows function' or stated another way: It looks better once you see how incredibly well the bike rides.

Then again, I don't mind new & challenging experiences:

I've been riding a single speed (48 x 18t) & fixed road bike (2010 Specialized Street Langster) road bike for most of the last year, to help build strength.

I will try to come back & update this review once more miles & rides rack up.

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!