Giant Anyroad Road Bike

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

This all-new one-of-a-kind bike is designed with a lightweight yet durable ALUXX alloy frame featuring a taller headtube and increased toptube stand-over distance for confident handling. AnyRoad’s wide range of gears, ergo-shaped handlebars and user-friendly disc braking system with specially designed levers make it easy to ride on smooth or bumpy roads-or even dirt. Its wide, puncture-proof 32c tires let you explore without any worries. Anywhere, any weather, AnyRoad.

Submitted by steve langello

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2017

Strengths:    Good standover, comfortable rider positioning, compliant ride.

Weaknesses:    Design flaw in frame won't allow for wider tires

Bottom Line:
While I like the bikes feel and complaint ride as a gravel bike it should have the ability to handle wider tires but a design flaw in the chainstays puts the "bulge" for the tire where the rim is. This puts the tire into the narrow part of the yoke and restricts the tire width to around 35's. You would think a big frame manufacturer like giant would have noticed this. Somebody dropped the ball on this one. As a bike that can handle any road it needs to be able to accommodate tires for those roads. I would recommend giant change the name to someroads. Anything is only as good as its weakest part and for this I give the bike an 'F'.

Submitted by DavidAlanEastTexas

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    Amazingly versatile bike. I wanted a 'rough road roadbike' for our gravel filled, pot-holed East Texas county roads. This one is perfect for the task. But, on smooth pavement, it feels as well sorted - better actually, than most road bikes I have or have ridden. As my son, a Cat 2 racer noted: "This bike has amazing balance, the handling & nimble-ness are far above average..." Also, it manages to soften the bumps & imparts a 'ride me all day long, lively carbon frame feel'. Amazing considering the weight is 24#. (I am told the full carbon version of this bike, the Anyroad Comax, is 21 #) But the bike rolls smooth & sweet. Only on a steep incline does the weight become apparent. But the 9 speed Sora cassette has just right gears to make it go quick, quicker than a cycloross gravel bike should. On my first group ride, I was able to keep up with the Cat 2-3 leaders just a few ticks behind, and in sight on a 20% grade. Even there, I stayed in the middle front chainring. On this 'lower tier' Anyroad 2 (2015) model, it's a 3x9 Shimano Sora group. Which is fine with me, as I was wanting a unique 'Cross-capable Gravel & rough road bike' - so I don't gripe about a bit of extra weight. When I want fast, I can hop on my Track bike or 10 speed Full Carbon GT roadbike. High marks to the Avid BB Disc brakes. Though mechanically cable operated, they offer superb stopping power & modulating ability. My first experience with any Discs on a road type bike, I am impressed with the feel & stopping power vs. typical rim brakes. They seem to offer 50% more stopping power in any situation. Hard to see any downsides in terms of their operation, and several upsides.

Another advantage was the nice price. It was just $ 1049 - a relative bargain, and got 10% off on the model year clearance.

I have heard the Anyroad Comax, Carbon version is about $ 2000 - which now seems very reasonable considering the great virtues of this unique design.

Weaknesses:    The only possible one could be the weight, 24#. But I must add: every subjective impression - how it handles, the immediate & pleasureable pedal responsiveness, belies the weight. The bike feels every bit as livley as my 17 # carbon road bike, so it's perhaps a theoretical objection.

No 2 nd water bottle cage holes. (frame size won't allow)

No pannier rack mounts

Bottom Line:
I've only done 3 rides & less than 100 miles, but am thoroughly impressed so far. I ride 5000 miles a year, so this bike is set to get a workout very shortly. I look forward to our local group rides - to see how & if it helps me or hinders me from keeping pace with the others.

The Unique frame, where the top tube & seat stays connect in a full arc, have both aesthetically & practically appeal. As the saying goes: 'Form follows function' or stated another way: It looks better once you see how incredibly well the bike rides.

Then again, I don't mind new & challenging experiences:

I've been riding a single speed (48 x 18t) & fixed road bike (2010 Specialized Street Langster) road bike for most of the last year, to help build strength.

I will try to come back & update this review once more miles & rides rack up.