Giant Defy Advanced 1 Road Bike

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Burn up the pavement with amazing speed on Giant's Defy Advanced 1. But wait, did we mention it's one of the most comfortable road bikes you'll find...

Submitted by Jon Wallace a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is very smooth on the road and incredibly comfortable. Very responsive and has fast acceleration. The frame engineering of this bike is quite impressive. Ultegra components.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I am a older rider and wanted a comfortable endurance road bike. Tried two models of the Specialized Roubaix which were quite nice but the 2013 Giant Advanced 1 was smooth and comfortable from the first time I rode it. This bike fits me beautifully and is a great value.

Finding one of these bikes to ride is a problem. I tried multiple Giant dealers who said they would order what ever I wanted but had nothing in stock...until I called Newbery Park Bike Shop in Newbery Park, CA. They had one in their warehouse and built it just so I could test it. They seemed confident that once I rode it I would buy it and I did. I am extremely happy with this bike!

Purchased At:   Newbery Park Bike Sh

Submitted by Ross

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable for long rides, accelerates quickly, precise handling, good climber

Bottom Line:
Purchased the 2013 model, and can't believe how responsive this bike is. It easily allows me to stay in the saddle for hours longer than before and be able to increase my average speed by 2-3mph as well. The shifting and steering are precise. Very happy with this bike!!

Submitted by lexterlinx a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    Descending, cornering, all around balance

Weaknesses:    Not the most responsive climbing bike, but still awesome.

Bottom Line:
I have a Taiwan version of the Defy Advanced 1. I have the same experience of this bike COASTING faster than other bikes. So many races and challenge rides where I discover the same thing.
This bike is great. Corners and descends amazingly. I have a triple crank and just love the huge range of gears for the tough Taiwan mountains. Did a 400km ride across the Taiwan Central Mountain range, and couldn't have been happier on this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Giant Defy Advanced 1

Bike Setup:   Triple front crank.
Shimano Ultegra 6700
Michelin Pro 3
Fizik Saddle

Submitted by Martin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Strengths:    Ultrega group is light and efficient. Frame is AMAZING: somehow stiff and efficient AND comfortable and smooth. (How did they do that?!) Wheels are just right - light enough, stiff enough - perfect.

Weaknesses:    Well, it did cost 3 grand.

Bottom Line:
OMG. I'm too old to use that abbreviation, but my Giant Defy Advanced 1 is making me feel like a kid again.

I turned 50 this year, and I thought that my road riding days were really over. I'd been riding a 1996 Bianchi EL/OS with a Campy Chorus group, but lately I'd been experiencing more pain due to the bike beating me up. 10 years ago I was putting thousands of miles on a bike every year, but this had dwindled down to a hundred miles each year. The 2001 Giant Defy Advanced 1 has changed all that. If I had no other responsibilities, I would ride this bike 50 miles every day.

Purchased At:   Bike Habitat (Carson

Similar Products Used:   1996 Bianchi EL/OS w/ Campy Chorus (Similar, but there's no real comparison; the Giant Defy is soooo much better.)

Bike Setup:   as originally equipped: full Shimano Ultegra 6700 group, DT Swiss R1800 wheels, Fi'zi:k Aliante Delta w/ Manganese Rails saddle

Submitted by MiamiSasquatch a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Faster than it feels, plush without being sluggish, climbs like a billy goat compared to my Trek 1200, holds up to the abuse my 250lbs frame puts on it.

Weaknesses:    Giant DT Swiss 1800 wheelset.

Base Fizik saddle.

Feels slower than it is.

Bottom Line:
Just picked up this bike a couple of weeks ago after having the stock compact crank swapped for a standard double.

I love this bike!

After spending the last 3 years on a Trek 1200 aluminum bike (that I still love) I wanted to make the jump to carbon so I wouldn't feel so beat up after 50 miles. I wasn't sure if I should buy a racing bike or a plush bike, so I rode the Defy A, TCR A, and Madone 5.2 extensively to figure out which one I preferred. I wanted to keep a feel similar to my 1200 because I love the speed and handling of the race derived bike. The Defy A was the perfect balance between the racy TCR and the slightly too sluggish Madone.

I've only had the chance to put about 200 miles on the bike so far, but so far it's been great. I didn't have a spedometer for the first few rides, and I worried I had actually slowed when compared to my Trek because the bike just didn't give the same feeling of quickness. I was soon shocked to find that where I had felt like I was going 17 on my Trek, I was pushing over 20 on the Defy.

The compact road design where they shorten the chainstays is brilliant. Acceleration is quick, climbs are efficient, and handling isn't racing crisp, but is still quick.

The TCR is a full race rig, and handles like a Lotus. The Defy is more of an BMW M3, still very fast, but gives up true race performance in lieu of leather seats.

The only complaint I have so far is the DT Swiss wheels. I noticed they weren't quite true so I swapped them out for a set of Mavic Equipes I have on my Trek. During the swap I noticed that I'd already dug into the freehub casing under some hard pulls, clocking half the gears out of alignment. Freehubs are NOT an acceptable place for a low grade anodized aluminum. I wish Giant had opted to keep the Mavic wheels used in previous years.

Purchased At:   Roll: Easton