Giant OCR 2 Road Bike

4.22/5 (37 Reviews)

The ALUXX Butted Aluminum frame makes the OCR series affordable and ersatile enough for touring, charity rides, serious commuting, and spirited enough for entry level racing.
  • frame: ALUXX butted aluminum, Compact Road Design
  • fork: formulaOne Composite w/aluminum steerer

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by christopher van cleve

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    durable I have ridden this bike over 2500 miles and its holding its own still.Triple is good for all kinds of riding comfortable design

Weaknesses:    creaking stem, seat post,

Bottom Line:
    it was my entry bike I have a felt carbon now but this bike has brought me good memories and second bike for a friend to ride along . this bike has held up strong for me i would say its decent and the price was good too

Submitted by trapreo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame. Better components. Balance of preformance and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Double would be better for those in good physical shape.

Bottom Line:
    This is a 2004 but the option only let me put 05. Bought on craigslist and previous owner seemed axious to dump so I talked him down to 300. Right tiagra shifter ended up being broke so I had to put a few hundred into new tiagra shifters and tune up.He could have been honest and I still would have bought it. Bike came with upgraded stem and shimano wheel set so that kind of made up for that. I am a marathoner and wanted to get into road biking to cross train. After a few weeks of riding I think I am getting addicted. This bike is light, fast, and components are much better than you find on other entry level road bikes. Like other reviews have said the gem of this bike is the frame. Stiff and light for speed but comfortable to stay on for long rides. I would recommend this bike based on the frame alone. If you find one that needs some work to the components buy it right and head to the LBS. I would have prefered a double but have to admit that I have used the granny a couple of times when no one was looking. Frame shape does allow you to stay in the saddle more on steep hills. New version of this bike is the Giant Defy 2. I wouldn't put the money up for the Defy 1 because most reviews will tell you there is almost no differance between 105 and Tiagra components for wear or preformance.

Favorite Ride:   Long, Hilly, Rural

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Road Specialized Allez(Great frame too but lesser components on entry level)

Bike Setup:   2011 Tiagra STI, Tiagra front, 105 rear, Truvati crank(triple), Shimano Rims, Forgie stem, Specialized saddle, Hutchison tires.

Submitted by MCB a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, quickness, agility.

Weaknesses:    Seat, Wheels.

Bottom Line:
    Fantastic beginner bike for the money. Good for commuting. Even used it in a few races.
    Bought this bike to commute around 30 miles 3 days a week. Completely comfortable, fast and agile in the streets. Good for the money.
    I never received a proper fitting from my LBS but after a few adjustments I was comfortable on my 45 minute commute. I recommend upgrading the seat if you do rides any longer than a couple of hours. Bike was surprisingly fast too. I have nothing to compare it to but other bikes that I demo'd or tested did not have the same quickness. Bike is also nimble. Necessary when riding though the city. Stable at all times, even on steep hills at 35mph+. Wheels after two years of urban abuse and 190 lbs started to crack, but I can't blame the bike for that. Slowly upgrading components now that I know how to care for them. Slowly stepping up to 105s as the needs arise and prices drop.

Favorite Ride:   Canada

Bike Setup:   Started with stock and after heavy commuting and a few races slowly upgrading to 105s: crank, drive, bb, calipers, hubs, wheels.

Submitted by wiggles a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    105 Rear Derailleur
    Rear bosses for attachment of rack/fenders
    great entry level bike for commuting/touring
    decent 'stock' brake pads
    My bike when stock had brake levers on the bars (similar to cyclocross) nice feature when your coming from 11years of mountain riding

Weaknesses:    Saddle (selle royal viper) this was the most uncomfortable seat i have ever used - quickly upgraded to selle san marco.
    Stock Michelin Tires - very prone to flats
    Tiagra Shifters - after i took a hard spill the right side shifter wouldn't shift properly (no shift and ghost shift on accelerating)

Bottom Line:
    This review is for a 2004 Giant OCR2. I purchased it new in 3/2004 from the LBS, tested a few other bikes an '03 Raleigh, 04 specialized allez, trek 1200. Of this group the OCR felt the best. The OCR felt more responsive in steering, braking, and accelerating. I have used this bike for many local centuries, hill climbs, fun runs with friends, pub crawls, commuting, amateur racing, and grocery getting.
    One of the greatest things about the frame is it has bosses on the back of the triangle for a Rack, and fenders so it can be ridden in all types of weather.
    Short of taking a hard spill and damaging the right side shifter the bike is a great value and a perfect introduction into the world of road biking. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for there first road bike or to a person who is looking for a dedicated commuter, with the giant ocr series you can't go wrong!

Purchased At:   Taylors Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   first road bike but demoed the above bikes before purchasing this one

Bike Setup:   The bike is no longer stock has the following changes:
    Dura Ace Shifters/Brakes
    Toppeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Dinotte 200lumen head lamp and 140 tail light

Submitted by alister207 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Well specced for the money. Stiff frame. Has done a lot of kms on country roads. Comfortable ride and still fast.

Weaknesses:    Stock Alex rims. The back only lasted for about a 1000ks. I took it back to the shop so many times they got fed up with me and gave me a near new mavic Aksium which was a big improvement. Would have prefered a one tone paint job. The battleship grey makes it look a little dull.

Bottom Line:
    Have so far ridden 9000Kms on this 2008 ocr2 stock model I got from new. I think its a great bike for the money and would definatley recommend one. The ally frame seems stiff - the only flex seems to come from the wheels. Its stable and corners well downhill and at speed. I've been up to 85km/h on a smooth downhill road and the bike felt secure and safe with no vibration at all. On the other hand at 60km/h on a rough county road surface the bike vibrated so much I thought it was going to fall apart (but it didn't). But that is probably as much to do with the road surface as the frame. The combo carbon ally forks do a good job in reducing road vibration and you can see them twitching away over rough surfaces. Also there is a carbon seat post which must also go some way to take the harshness out of an ally frame. I actually found the stock saddle the most comfortable one I have had and get no numbness or chafing. I have had to have the shimano bottom bracket replaced every 4000kms but believe this is normal wear and tear? I will aslo need to replace the chain and cassette within the next 1000kms but again I think this is normal wear and tear. I have no problems with the triple chain ring - Sometimes I adjust it every 1000kms or so when the cable has stretched and it seems fairly straightforward. Although the 3rd ring won't get used much it is useful on big hill climbs when you want to stay seated and keep your cadence up, although now I am cycling fit I would go with 2 rings. There are even lugs on the back for my rack and pannier for commuting. Spoils the look a bit but I still overtake other people on "racing" road bikes. Even the brakes work well and progressivley.

Favorite Ride:   Montville Hill

Purchased At:   Spin City, Mooloolab

Bike Setup:   stock apart from tyres and a mavic aksium back wheel because I am 90kg and tear up back tyres and wheels.

Giant OCR 2 2006 or New GT GTR 4 series.

Hi, My name is Estevan & I'm new to cycling. I have been reading a lot of info about bikes and looking around at different bikes being sold used or within my budget which is 600-700$. The 2 bikes I've ran across that I'm interested at the moment are the GTR 4 series and the Giant OCR 2. The (new)GTR ... Read More »

First Bike, OCR 2?

Hey everyone! My name is Tim and I'm getting into cycling. I've been searching around for a good deal on used bikes. Ive mainly been searching for the following models Trek 1000 Fuji Newest Giant OCR I'm a college student, so needless to say I'm on a budget. These bikes purchased used seems to ran ... Read More »

Giant OCR 2 vs Specialized Dolce Comp

Hi, I am a new biker and am mostly interested in weekend riding and the occasional 50+ mile rides. I am trying to buy a used bike and have found a Giant OCR2 and a Specialized Dolce Comp. I am leaning toward the Specialized, but I have read the Giant is a more relaxed ride and can have a bi ... Read More »

2003 OCR 2 headset removal

Does anyone have a link or video showing the removal of the headset/stem on this bike? I bought the frame for $50 from a guy down the street to use as a rain/bad weather bike but I am trying to remove the headset & am having some difficulty. Any links would be greatly appreciated.Read More »

Used 2001 Giant OCR 2 for $350?

Used 2001 Giant OCR 2 for $350? How does that deal sound to you guys? Should I take it or leave it?Read More »