Giant OCR 3 Road Bike

4.27/5 (75 Reviews)

The ALUXX Butted Aluminum frame makes the OCR series affordable and ersatile enough for touring, charity rides, serious commuting, and spirited enough for entry level racing.
  • frame: ALUXX butted aluminum, Compact Road Design
  • fork: formulaOne Composite w/aluminum steerer

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

~ Beefy, ALUXX tubing
    ~ Frame/fork capable of lightweight(sub-20lbs) build

Weaknesses:    ~ Huge, 30.9 seatpost
    ~ Tiagra OEM gruppo

Bottom Line:
    Ok, I'm writing this review on behalf of my newbie cyclist girlfriend. The 2008 Giant OCR3 was her very first bike. While still building her cardio fitness - took it upon myself to upgrade the wheels and tires, effectively dropping nearly 2 pounds of rotating weight for her. She said the upgrades helped immensely. She also never got used to the drop bars and STI shifters - so I turned her bike into a flat bar, Gripshift bike with a shorter stem. Again, she loves the idea of simply turning a dial to shift. She can do 50-mile flat beach rides, without feeling beat up now....because her bike(48cm) now weighs 17 pounds!

Favorite Ride:   Will Rogers Beach to Palos Verdes

Purchased At:   Bro Deal

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR3 - Carbon seatpost, carbon bars, Dura-Ace crankset, derailleurs, SRAM MRX Gripshift, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset, Vittoria Diamante Pro Light tires, Latex tubes, stock saddle...equals a 17.83-pound bike

Submitted by Elijah Harris Jr.

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2015

Strengths:    Nice bike when I have to I ride in the dirt very nice. It's my baby !!!

Weaknesses:    Non. Keep up on fixing very good bike !!!!

Bottom Line:
    Thanks all for a nice bike and a smiley face !!!!!

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2015

Strengths:    Light Weight, Brackets for Disc & Caliper Brakes and Bungs for mounting racks if needed.

Weaknesses:    The components Giant used for this bike weren't great.

Bottom Line:
    Really not a bad bike. It's even better if you don't mind changing components. I bought the frame of a Silver OCR 3 Touring bike a few years ago because at the time road bikes with disc brakes were fairly rare. I spec'd it out with FSA Wheels, Shimano XT & Ultegra parts along with a carbon fork and Avid Disc brakes. I am not a cometion cyclist so I find the geometry of this frame to be very comfortable for distance rides. I've ridden it on century charity rides, and as a commuter. All in all I would say it's a good frame that can be built to be a really nice bike.

Submitted by Gaz

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2015

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight and a genuine honest performer..steers well and frame seems relatively stiff during acceleration.

Weaknesses:    Ride can be harsh (compared to carbon) if running high tire pressures.

Bottom Line:
    Bought 2005 baby blue model 2nd hand for $100 as a frame and built it up as a spare/rain bike to my Cannondale Carbon Synapse. Fitted full 105 groupset (2nd hand), compact chainrings (double 50/39) running 9sp 11-27 rear cassette. Finished off the build with carbon seat post, lightweight Prologo seat and Shimano WH-560 (they're excellent) wheelset running Schwalbe Ultremo's (23c's). Fitted handlebar & stem..stock items.

This is a surprisingly good performer on the WH-560's, not as quick as the Cannondale, but stays with the pack no problems. I'm 220lb and the frame and wheelset are solid as. Ride can be harsh, but running 100psi back, 90 front overcomes these issues..was running 120/100psi and felt everything, leaving numb fingers in a 2 hour training ride.

This bike doesn't pretend to be anything but an honest performer, relatively quick and ultra reliable. Comes in at 8.2gk with pedals. It's still in my fleet and while I now only ride it occasionally, I think..hey, this thing isn't too bad.

Submitted by Nathan Haack

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2015

Strengths:    I bought this bike in 2007, and have used it mostly as a touring bike. I took it from WI to GA without any issues. It continues to be hassle free as long as it's lubed up and maintained. lightweight and handles great.

Weaknesses:    It took more effort than I would've liked to turn in into a touring bike.

Bottom Line:
    This thing has taken me everywhere I've wanted to go on a road bike, and still works great 8 years after I bought it.