Giant OCR A1 Road Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Top Tube, Seat Tube and Seat Stays - Composite
Head Tube, Down Tube and Chain Stays - Aluminum

FRAME TECHNOLOGY
Giant’s proprietary Alliance frame technology takes advantage of the performance benefits of both aluminum and composite. By combining this unique blend of materials with the OCR’s more forgiving upright positioning, OCR Alliance introduces a new dimension of comfortable performance to the road.

FEATURES
10-speed Shimano 105 shifting and R600 compact crankset
Easton EA30 alloy stem
New, lightweight Xero XSR-3 wheelset

size XS, S, M, L, XL
color Brushed Composite / Red
frame fomulaOne Composite, Compact Road Design.
fork fomulaOne Composite w/alloy steerer
spokes Xero XSR-3
tires Hutchinson Top Speed, 700x 25c

Submitted by Greg a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    Good value for the money

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheels and somewhat flacid frame.

Bottom Line:
Ahhh...the smooth cruise of alluminum and carbon. This is an upgrade from my Bianchi. I like the OCR in total, but it does require some maintenance. I put it up on the stand every time I ride and do the little tweeks necessary to keep it in top form. Not a super strong climber, but relaxing and forgiving on the long flats. For the proce, it suits me well. It performs like a $1500 bike. I've riden the Specialized s-works SL-2 roubaix with dura-ace and carbon wheels/spokes and at $10,500 it's not that huge of a difference unless you are shaving seconds per mile. For the price it meets my needs. If you have Shimano 105 and the left shift lever goes out, Shimano will replace it for free if it's from the "6500" group.

Favorite Ride:   Heide

Purchased At:   Grace Lutheran Churc

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works Roubaix w/ Dura-Ace

Bike Setup:   OCRAI with Shimano 105

Submitted by rcutlertx a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    Good quality components. Relaxed fit.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This is my first roadbike since 1983 (Fuji 12 speed). I was off cycling for 15 years and started back with a flat bar bike (Giant FCR1) for a few years. The geometry of of the FCR and OCR are essentially the same and seem to fit me well. For 30-40 mile rides, this suits me fine.

Purchased At:   West Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant FCR1 flat handle bar bike.

Bike Setup:   This is a 2007 OCR A0 with full Ultegra upgraded with FSA carbon handlebars and stem and Eason SL50 wheels, Ultra gatorskin tires.

Submitted by Jack a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable. Responsive. 105 components

Weaknesses:    heavy wheels

Bottom Line:
Actually this is for a 2008 OCR A1. Great bike. Wheels a little on the heavy side, but upgraded to ultegra and I cannot complain one bit. Very responsive and very comfortable for those 50 plus mile rides. I am very happy with this bike. Had a 2006 Marin Venezia and it was like going from a mule to a racehorse.

Favorite Ride:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Rideaway

Similar Products Used:   Marin Venezia
1978 Benotto

Submitted by Dan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is excellent, everyone that rides it cannot believe the comfort from the carbon. The sloping top tube is great for shorter people that can't find a good fit with a straight. Corners like a dream with a low center of gravity.

Weaknesses:    The wheel set is heavy and maybe it's just a fluke but my freewheel hub body is wearing out after about 3000 miles and is not a standard Shimano so it is hard to find a replacement. Stock Michelin tires are a bit slow, but meant for a more recreational rider.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for two years now and have to say it has treated me very well. I can't say I'm a racer so I'm not completely in tune with what makes it competitive (though I have seen people race the frame at least). The bike is light compared to competitors, Trek Pilot 2.1/1.2 and a decent amount cheaper.

In all I will likely hold on to the frame for some time but the wheels will likely need replacing for people who really want to do performance riding.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Drive, Milwaukee

Purchased At:   Pioneer Cycles, Ham

Bike Setup:   Only after market part are XC 90 equipe SLX carbon fiber handlebars.

Submitted by bigdect a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    I don't know. I just do this stuff to stay in shape.

Weaknesses:    See Strengths

Bottom Line:
Used to be a serious runner but had to switch to biking due to injury. This bike has treated me very well. I don't race it or anything but I do put plenty of miles on it and haven't had any trouble yet. Just keep it lubed and take it in a couple times a year for minor adjustments.

Have never had any serious trouble with this bike. I'm going to start getting a little more serious about cycling when I am back stateside so I guess I'll really see how it holds up then.

Favorite Ride:   giant ocr a1

Purchased At:   mama's board and bik