Giant OCR C3 Triple Road Bike

Ride all day with the OCR Composite series—the same responsive ride as the TCR Composite, only more forgiving. Its hand-built frame is constructed with the same proprietary formulaOne process used to create all of Giant’s composite bicycles.

FRAME TECHNOLOGY
Using the same formulaOne Composite construction as the TCR Composite series, OCR Composite frames feature more upright positioning to keep you riding longer and stronger.

FEATURES
# 10-speed Shimano 105 shifting
# Crank Brothers Candy C pedals
# Lightweight Xero XSR-3 wheelset

Submitted by Joe Twomey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame and fork to start with in terms of making it my bike. I absolutely love the geometry and comfort. The low price has allowed me to make numerous changes to tweak the feel to my specifications and riding style.

Weaknesses:    Truvativ bottom bracket was not durable. My next upgrade is a Koobi AU Enduro seat to replace the limited-distance stock unit. I am considering a handlebar change at some point, but the stock setup is not too bad.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my earlier review. Since then, I have upgraded my crankset to a double FSA Carbon Team Issue 53/39. Great crank, but you must follow the installation instructions re: yellow Loctite. The stock Truvativ bottom bracket fell apart after 700 miles, not impressive. I upgraded to a ROL Volant wheelset, MUCH better than the Xero wheels. Highly recommended. These changes saved ~1 lb each and weren't too expensive ($160 and $300 respectively). Changed the chain after ~2200 miles and installed a 2009 Dura Ace chain. Again, very noticeable improvement in shift quality. Changed out the triple front derailleur to a double Ultegra as I was trimming the triple frequently after the crank change. Changed the front brakes to Cane Creek SCR-3Ls. Another big improvement over the stock Tektros. Altogether, these small upgrades have really improved the feel and quality of the bike. I believe that in opting for the lower end of the price line I was better able to upgrade to a higher equivalent, but choose the components that I desired rather than depend on Giant to choose for me (the OCR C line frames are all the same).

Favorite Ride:   Tour de Teq.

Purchased At:   Derby Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite Pro
GT Avalance 1.0

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR C3 carbon frame and fork
ROL Volant wheelset
Shimano 105 shifters and rear derailleur
Shimano Ultegra front derailleur (double)
FSA Carbon Team Issue crankset
Nashbar Look-compatible pedals
Shimano Dura Ace chain (2009)
Shimano Flight Deck wireless computer

Submitted by mb7 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Great Price for carbon bike, Shimano 105 components, climbs well, decends fast, looks good. Comfortable geometry. Great service from LBS.

Weaknesses:    Stock Michelin tires flatted 5 times in 5 rides, switched to Gatorskins. ('08 model has Michelin Lithions I think, so maybe better ?). Not an outright race machine - but that is not what I needed.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for 40yr old recreational / charity rider. I found a new '06 model in summer of '08 - so big discount at LBS, giving me full carbon bike at aluminum price. Accelerates, climbs and descends well. I had a lot of flats with the Michelin Dynamic tires, so changed to Conti Gatorskins, with no problems since. Geometry is more upright than pure race bike - so comfortable - and stock saddle is well padded for 50km+ rides. Xero wheel set is not highly rated on these boards and slightly heavy - but mine rolls fast and no problems so far.I was overtaking everyone on a recent ride on the downhills with no pedaling (Maybe that's the beer gut factor though)! May try Neuvation upgrade soon.

Favorite Ride:   Calaveras

Similar Products Used:   Tried Specialed Allez Elite, Canondale Synapse and a couple of others in $1000-$1200 range. Discounted Giant was no brainer at this price. No problems burning past friends on the Allez, Fuji Team and even Trek Madone bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except Gatorskins, Keo Carbon pedals

Submitted by daddydarrin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Handling and responsiveness. Solid components and comfort. It is a cool looking bike that is not flashy or a rolling advertisement.

Weaknesses:    If I was a pro, I might come up with weaknesses. Seat is comfy, 105's are fine for my level. I ride a medium and am thinking about a shorter stem to cut my reach

Bottom Line:
A great Ride. I upgraded from an OCR1 and am very happy with the responsiveness and smooth ride. The bike glides down the roads and gets up and goes when I need it to. For under 2000 dollars who can ask for more?

Favorite Ride:   18 mile uphill 1000 foot gain ride home

Purchased At:   High Sierra Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Giant OCR 1

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Speedplay frog pedals and Flightdeck computer. I did change the brake pads to Ultegra and those grab better than the stock pads

Submitted by PJT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2008

Strengths:    Full carbon F/F at a low price. Easy sizing. Fit and finish is flawless. I absolutely love the tasteful paint job and minimalist graphics.

Weaknesses:    No name brakes as a cost-cutting measure. Probably a pound heavier than the other ones that I was considering, but I didn't feel that was worth $1000+.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to ride recreationally on the weekends and to commute during the week (34 miles roundtrip). I originally looked at the Trek Pilot and Specialized Roubaix series, but considered them too much money for the bike. I knew I wanted full carbon after spending my preceding time on aluminum frames. I decided on the OCR instead after doing some research (at first I thought about the TCR, then I reminded myself that I am in my low 40s). Last week, I put 150 miles on it in the heat of the day (NW Florida, 96-98 deg F) with no comfort issues whatsoever. I wasn't sold on the compact triple crank (it's FLAT here), but the top two chainrings (50/39) have provided enough gear inches when combined with the rear cogs to keep me happy (I usually spin @ 100-110 RPM). I actually like the spread between shifts as I can make slight adjustments to keep RPM in the proper range. The frame damps out road vibration but is not overly flexible (I am 205 lbs at 6' 2"). I have noticed some spoke creak when out of the saddle, but I expect that to go away after the first trueing and re-tensioning. The 105 components are up to the task, as one would expect. The only upgrades planned would be the brakes to 105 and to replace the handlebar with a carbon unit. Other than that, I am very satisfied, especially when I look at my friend's high-end Trek, which cost him 4x used what I paid new. If you're looking for full carbon at a low price and you want a longer distance bike, consider this one seriously.

Favorite Ride:   Giant OCR C3 triple

Purchased At:   Derby Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Tri-lite Pro
GT Avalanche 1.0 (set up as a commuter)

Bike Setup:   OCR C3 Triple (L), 105 STI shifter/brake levers, 105 rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur, Truvativ cranks, Look compatible pedals, Easton stem/handlebars, Xero Lite wheels, Fizik saddle

Submitted by Cerebrum a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    So far...everything

Weaknesses:    Haven't noticed anything yet.

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike, so I don't exactly have much to compare it to, but every time I ride this bike I love it more. I've been riding my father-in-law's old Fuji mountain bike as a commuter, but wanted to upgrade and do more pleasure riding. As soon as I got on this one for a test ride I fell in love. It's super responsive, and very forgiving when you end up on the rougher paths, which is great because a lot of the roads in my area are in pretty sad shape. I especially love the way the bike seems to come to life with each pedal stroke, which I guess is par for the course with a carbon frame, but it still brings a big smile to my face. I've only have the bike 3 days, but I've already logged almost a hundred miles, and my weekend just started. Giant made a killer bike for a great price with this one, full 105 components, Crank Bros. pedals, and great looking, light weight Xero wheels, all on a beautiful full carbon frame and under $2,000...I may not be that experienced a rider, but it seems like that's a hard deal to beat.

Favorite Ride:   Everything I've tried so far

Purchased At:   Skyline Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Test road a few different Specialized models and a couple of Treks...

Bike Setup:   Stock setup except a Specialized Indie Xc Sport Saddle

2008 Giant OCR C3 Triple (all black)

Anyone have an opinion on this bike? I can get it for $1600 at LBS but it has all Shimano 105. Is this a good bike for training/fitness -medium/long rides? Is this a good deal? Should I upgrade to Ultegra for $500 (would that be worth it as far as performance or durability)? Currently have a ... Read More »