Giant TCR Advanced 1 Road Bike

• Stem: Race Face Revolution, 31.8mm
  • Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace 39/ 53 T

Submitted by Jack S.

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2014

Strengths:    Value, great ride quality,great build quality, flawless ultegra components

Weaknesses:    seat post problems, tires

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2012 TCR advanced 2. It is almost identical in spec.to a 2014 tcr advanced 1, so I'll review it here. I've had the bike now for a full year, put 3400km on it, and I've been very pleased with it. The overall build quality of this bike is amazing. Everything works together for a smooth, solid, seamless ride. Paint and graphics are the best I've seen on any bike, and I love the white/black/grey. I'm very impressed with the ultegra drivetrain and brakes. Shifting has been perfect, I only had to make minor cable adjustments. Brakes are smooth and powerful, and work well in the rain.
I purchased the bike in March '13 as a leftover 2012. My LBS gave me a great deal on it $2519.00 CDN +tx. As soon as I got home I weighed it, it came in at 16.5lbs.
My other road bike is a 2002 TREK 5200 that I purchased new for $3300+tx and used for 11 years (and 33,000km) as my main bike. The trek is an awesome bike, but my new giant is just a little bit better. The main difference I notice is the improved ergonomics of the hoods. On my trek my hands would often go numb after an hour, no such problems on the TCR, which is also over a pound lighter. My giant is size M, I am 5'9" and it fits me well. I've tried M and M/L giants before and I knew M fit better.
I had a tough time deciding between a giant TCR and a Defy. I'm 49 yrs. old, an "enthusiast rider" I don't race but like to go hard when I ride. A good average speed for me is 30km/h for a 2 or 3 hour ride. I also do multi-day tours at a more moderate pace so I need a bike that does it all. I chose the TCR and flipped the stem from -7degrees to +7. This raised the bar to a perfect height for me. I swapped the Fizik arione saddle the bike came with for a selle italia C2. The arione wasn't terrible, but became a little uncomfy for me after 2hrs. The C2 is the best saddle I've ever used. I'm comfortable all day on this bike.
I did have some problems with the seat post clamp. Every 100km the seat clamp would loosen. You can't just buy an aftermarket seatpost because of the unique shape of the seat tube My LBS replaced the post but the problem persisted. The guys at the bike shop came up with a solution. The semi-circular interface between the seatpost and clamp was the problem. The guys expertly dremelled matching grooves in each surface and tightened the bolts with loctight. Problem solved.
Also the Giant branded tires the bike came with are not the best quality, they flatted easily and they wore out quickly. I replaced them with Michelin PRO 4 endurance. The giant branded DT swiss wheels have stayed true with zero maintenance. I'm sure they will be very durable, but at 1775 grams not very light. Maybe my next upgrade......

Favorite Ride:   Cabot Trail Nova Scotia

Purchased At:   Spin your Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200
Trek 420 converted to singlespeed

Bike Setup:   stock, except for selle italia C2 saddle

Submitted by Eric Meyer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2013

Strengths:    Rock Solid. No warranty or manuf issues as to today (1,700 miles). I am 6'1" and 215 lbs with a very athletic build. I am able to crank the crap out of this thing without any noticable flex or other.

Weaknesses:    About once a month I will get a squeek from the seat clamp and will retorque it w a Ritchie CF torque key. Same for stem.

Bottom Line:
2012 model TCR Advanced 1 is black and equipped with SRAM Force. List was $3,700 and was able to find one in the Giant Chicago warehouse and scored it for $3,000. Giant has a wonderful dealer computer system that gives visibility to whats in stock. Remember to buy the current year model at Labor Day because deliveries of the new year occur in Sept. Have since added SRAM red power meter and Zipp firecrest 303 clinchers and this thing is a rocket.

Submitted by T. Eric B. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    I have owned Giant TCR composites and Cannondales, and they cannot hold a candle to the 2012 Giant TCR Advanced frame/fork. it is the stiffest and most responsive ride I've been on. Where you can really tell the craftsmanship in this frame is when you are riding over 18-20mph. The bike is solid as a rock descending and cornering at speeds over 20mph, and I find I am able to hold and trust aggressive lines in corners like I could never hold on my other racing frames. The bike also accelerates with ease and is a smooth ride despite the stiffness and massive front end.
Other cool features include the Ride Sense sensors that are built into the frame that link up w/ my power tap and Garmin 500. A very classy addition to an already top frame. Also, the seatpost is nicely matched to the frame.

Weaknesses:    My only complaints so far are that I wish this frame was offered in a carbon clear coat or a dominant color other than white. The white is too flashy for my tastes, and it also looks dirty all the time. Additionally, the shelf behind the BB tends to collect mud/dirt, but that is a very small downside considering the stiffness that little shelf adds to the frame when pedaling hard. Seatpost is a little tricky to adjust but works like a charm once you get it dialed in.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 2 w/ full Ultegra and my own Reynolds Solitude wheels and 3T ergonova bars. I have been a road bike racer since 2004, and this is the first time I have owned a frame this expensive. It took me only about 2 rides to see that you get what you pay for.

Favorite Ride:   Deer Creek Canyon & High Grade Road in SW Metro Denver, Colorado

Purchased At:   Giant Cycling World

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Six
Giant TCR Composite
Merckx Team SC
Masi alu crit racer frame

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra 53x39 crankset, Reynolds solitude wheels, conti GP 4000 tires, speedplay pedals.

Submitted by George Pei a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2011

Strengths:    Felt solid and composed on the move, very good lateral stiffness with compliant ride characteristic. The Fizik Arione saddle is cushy and comfortable. A great climber, descender and racing machine.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This is a 2012 TCR Advanced 3 upgraded to Ultegra groupset and Fulcrum Zero 2 way fit wheelset upon purchase. Possibly the first unit on the road in Malaysia. The ride on the move may be decribed as poised , quiet but plenty capable to leap and pounce immediately upon demand. It's a light machine that does not call attention to any weakness in itself . We did a 57 km circuit at Batu Kawa/ Senggai Kpg area with undulating terrain . It climbed effortlessly showing very good lateral stiffness while stand up pedalling at 39/23 gearing. I weigh 200 Ib and did not feel any frame or wheel flexing while pounding uphill. Bombing downhill at 65 km/hr was a confident affair. Road buss was nicely filtered out by the frame but still permit good sense of the road surface irregularities. Compared to my 2010 Defy 1 it is best described as quiet and poised, ever ready to pounce.

Favorite Ride:   Early Morning Batu Kawa/ Senggai Kpg Ride

Purchased At:   Bike Connection , Si

Similar Products Used:   2010 Giant Defy 1.

Bike Setup:   2012 TCR ADVANCED frame,
2011 Shimano Ultegra groupset,
2011 Fulcrum Zero 2 way fit wheelset.
Continental GP4000s tyres.

Submitted by stevenp1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Acceleration

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Awesome! Light and responsive. This bike has great acceleration and climbing ability. Great performance for the price.

Favorite Ride:   Cherry Creek Trail Denver

Purchased At:   Giant Cycling World

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6700

ADVICE NEEDED: Nielpryde BuraSL Ultegra or Di2 2013 vs.Giant TCR Advanced 1 or 0 2013

[COLOR=#333333]Hi Guys ,[/COLOR] [COLOR=#333333]I am seriously considering purchasing a performance road bike and I do ride everyday whenever I can for short distance 10 - 20 KM. for fitness purpose. I currently own a giant anyroad 1 2014 and am looking to find some thrill in performance road bike ... Read More »

Hi Guys , I am seriously considering purchasing a performance road bike and I do ride everyday whenever I can for short distance 10 - 20 KM. for fitness purpose. I currently own a giant anyroad 1 2014 and am looking to find some thrill in performance road bike . Now here's the interesting part, th ... Read More »

2013 TCR Advanced 2 or 2014 TCR Composite 1

Hi, I'm doing a lot of MTB-racing and for training purpose I do a lot of long rides on the road, last year I used my Giant TCX with GP4000s tires on but I know looking for a new bike. I have the chance to go for a Giant TCR Advanced 2013 or the TCR Composite 1 for almost the same price (Comp1 is 1 ... Read More »

New Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 (2012),Giant TCR Advanced SL 1(2012)- $ 2500USD

We supply all models of bike, we are dealer of offer this bikes with great discounts. They are brand. 2011 Cervelo P4 Red Triathlon / TT $3000 2011 cervelo s3 $2,000 2011 Cervelo P2c Triathlon : $1,850 2011 cervelo p3: $1,100 2011 cervelo p2: $1,000 2011 cervelo p1 ultegra sl: $1,100 20 ... Read More »

TCR Advanced 1 Price (2011)

I am being quoted $3,500 for a 2011. Seems very high. What are your thoughts? Thanks PeteRead More »