Giant TCR Advanced SL 2 Road Bike

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

From stages in the Grand Tours to your local loops, Giant knows what it takes to win. The handcrafted TCR Advanced 2 features their pro-level Advanced

Submitted by Richard Anderson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2013

Strengths:    This is for the Advanced SL3. 2012 UK model. Fantastic bit of kit. As others have said very stiff and comfortable. This thing just wants to fly out from between your legs when you put the power down. The 2012 model comes standard with full Ultegra 10 speed. But me being me have changed it to Ultegra Di2 which has really improved the smoothness of shifting. Fizik Airone saddle is very good and my back side got used to it straight away. Also changed the stock stem to the Giants Carbon SL. I cant fault it. It looks great too with the black carbon weave showing over the full bike.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I rode lots of other similar priced bikes, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Cerevelo, etc,etc.... BUT THIS ONE BEATS THEM HANDS DOWN. on set up, comfort, speed, looks. Its a brilliant all rounder. The overall price is including the Di2 and stem.

Favorite Ride:   This one

Purchased At:   in the UK at LBS pri

Similar Products Used:   As per review summary.

Bike Setup:   Advanced SL3, Ultegra Di2. Speedplay zero, Giant P-SL0 Wheels with DT swiss hubs. Carbon SL stem. Aero Sp.

Submitted by Dargo200 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2012

Strengths:    Value for money. I couldn't find anything else with these specs at this price.

Weaknesses:    weak R deraillieur, not stiff enough for some.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this for over a year & a half & put 10 000km on it and in that time I've had a number of issues. The R deraillieur has snapped of twice both times at the drop-out tag (the little piece that connects the deraillieur to the frame). Both times while I was on a climb. had drop-out tag replaced with a larger one and now it's all fine. The rear break cable also rubs on my inner thigh which gets annoying after a while. but apart from that the bike performs well the frame is a little bit too flexible for my tastes but others may find it a comfort. The description above says that it has Ultegra parts but in actual fact the 2011 model comes with a 105 groupset.

Favorite Ride:   M7

Purchased At:   BSCH

Similar Products Used:   Giant defy 2

Bike Setup:   105 groupset

Submitted by Sean G a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    Everything. Climbs well, handles like a dream, responds instantly, and in my own personal opinion, is about the sexiest thing on 2 wheels in the pro peloton right now. The thing is just damn fast too! Fastest bike I've ever ridden.

Weaknesses:    It's hard to find much weakness in any bike designed for the pro peloton when it comes to the masses. Above all, make sure the bike you get fits. That is the single most important thing at this level of bike regardless of make and model.

Bottom Line:
This review is specifically for the TCR Advanced SL3. Went with the 2010 as it was deeply discounted and the same bike as 2011, except for the paint scheme, and I like the 2010 paint better anyway. Decided on the SL3 as the guys at the shop convinced me that Ultegra 6700 is BETTER than Dura-Ace 7800 (which I've been riding for 7 years) and I have to agree. Saved several thousand going with Ultegra and the darn thing still only weighed 15.1 lbs with pedals, cages, and computer! My Gawd!! That's lighter than my '07 Scott CR1 with Dura Ace and carbon everything (and cost $2k more than this bike)! I had never considered Giant and never really liked the looks of them (before this model), but again, the guys at the shop convinced me this is the best bike out there. One ride is all it took to know they weren't BS'ing me. They also could have sold me something more expensive and made more of a profit, but such was their belief that this bike is the best thing going and they knew I'd be better off with the Giant. This is hands down the best bike I have ever ridden and considering I never thought I'd own a Giant in my life, that's saying something.

Favorite Ride:   Lookout Mountain/Golden CO

Purchased At:   Peak Cycles/Golden C

Similar Products Used:   2002 Trek 5200 upgraded from Ultegra 6500 9 speed to Dura Ace 7800 10 speed in 2004.

2007 Scott CR1 with full Dura Ace 7800, Ksyrium ES wheelset, Bontrager Carbon VR bar, Easton EC70 carbon stem, Ritchey carbon seat post

Bike Setup:   Stock factory set-up with Giant aluminum bar and stem, Giant carbon aero seatpost, Ultegra 6700 (53/39, 12-25), Ksyrium Elite wheelset, Fizik Arione saddle.

Submitted by T3000 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2010

Strengths:    Everything.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
After doing extensive research, I decided on this bike. Bought at the bike show, which isn't the greatest experience, as there's no setup, but the price was right! Got fitted at my LBS and away I went. Wow! I can't say enough about this bike. It climbs like there's a magnet pulling it up the hill, corners intuitively and is incredibly responsive. It begs to be ridden fast and will take any punishment you throw at it. You really feel like the bike is an extension of your body. Super efficient. Awesome weight and stiffness. Thanks to all the members who posted their reviews, you were a big help! Glad I made this choice.

Favorite Ride:   Anything

Purchased At:   Toronto Bike Show

Bike Setup:   Look Keo2 Max Carbon pedals. Everything else is stock. Still not sold on the fizik ck arione saddle, although it looks great on the bike!

Submitted by Monkey Watson a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2010

Strengths:    Perfect combination of stiffness, speed and comfort.
Great looking decals and finish

Weaknesses:    None so far.
Stock saddle isn't for everyone but I've gotten used to it and will probably stick with it.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a faster bike than my 04 Specialized Roubaix for triathlons. But I also wanted something fun to ride in the mountains and with my buddies.

This bike fit the bill.

After trying out several aero-road models and other brands, I stubbled on this bike marked down at my local shop. I had not considered Giant, knew nothing about the TCR Advanced, and was hesitant to ride it as it was about 1K more than I was thinking of spending.

Then I made the mistake of test riding it.

It's fast, stiff and extremely comfortable. How is that possible. The bike just disappears beneath me it's so responsive. But it's stable enough to handle well even with clip-on aero-bars.

I love this bike. And I tell my wife that every time I come home from a ride since she approved the budget to buy it.

Favorite Ride:   09 Giant TCR Advanced SL 2