Giant TCR Composite 2 Road Bike

4.7/5 (61 Reviews)
MSRP : $1975.00

• Store Price

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested in a ...

Submitted by rooski

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2014

Strengths:    Light, agile, responsive, in control.. Short making for great visibility and handling while still sitting in aero position for speed. Keeps up easily on hills and leads in the straights.

Weaknesses:    Seat post adjustment not as easy as it could be, Shimano 105 shifting is a bit quirky with overshifting higher and lower (common for this set)
Wheels are clunky with round spokes (PR-2) and the factory tires are not that great.

Bottom Line:
This bike launches off the start taking you to top speeds quickly. Even though this is an attribute perhaps of a sprint bike, this road machine will marathon very nicely as equipped from the showroom floor or with a few small upgrades.

If you want race and comfort in a car you buy a top end sport luxury model. That's what this bike is !
The composite frame and fork give rigidity for power transfer and control while allowing for vibrations to be absorbed by the bike instead of the rider.

Recommend changing out the wheels to something a bit lighter and tires could be better.

For affordability the TCR2 Composite comes with Shimano's 105 geartrain. It's good but if you can afford the Advance model of this bike you will have better components. I suspect the 105 will be fine for a while.

Overall this is a great bike that I would recommend anyone from beginner to racer to look at. It will hold its own against all comers.
My other bike is the Cannondale CAAD10 - 2 and anyone who knows those bikes knows they are awesome. The Giant TCR2 Composite is right up there with the CAAD10.

Submitted by Marc schaffer a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    A very nice, race quality bike for not a lot of money. Giant got this right!

Weaknesses:    None I can think of

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a training bike for duathlon. It proved itself to be agile and mobile, a good complement to my Cervelo P2. The ride is responsive and it goes where you want it to. My only complaint is a really small one. The wheels that came on the bike are a little on the heavy side . However, this is easily fixed by buying a set of lighter wheels for race day. My pair of American classic victory 30 wheels and tufo ride elite tubular clinchers lightened things up a bit and ensured I had a good connection to the road.

Purchased At:   Bike doctor saskatoo

Submitted by Jason a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Responsiveness, great bike for me to start on.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Got this bike not too long ago as an intro into road riding.
It's given me great rides so far and I really have no complaints.
I did switch the stock Giant wheelset to a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

For those who care, the weight of the bike stock (with 2 cages, a computer and Shimano 105 pedals) was 19.5lbs.
After the wheelset swap, it was 18.3lbs.
Not that this matters to me in the slightest since I'm only beginning, but it was nice to know.

Purchased At:   Silent Sports (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   None... was a mountain biker.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 components, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset.

Submitted by Ventruck a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, fits well despite the sizing disrepancies, apparently lasting into it's second owner (me) after a crash and 4 years.

Weaknesses:    I've never tried 105 brakes out the box, so maybe this complaint about pads is due to their age. Aksium wheelset isn't the lightest thing around, if you're counting.

Bottom Line:
Odds are, no one will care about a 2006 bike now, but anyhoo: I bought this bike used in case of a "rough" start with road bikes. It wasn't just used, but also involved in a crash beforehand which was claimed only to damage the RD and wheel. Previous owner replaced said components (WH-R500 rear wheel, 105 RD) as well RD hanger as well as drivetrain (Still Ultegra 6600) while he was at it. So while it was seemingly below original spec I took the owner's word in it being a perfectly working bike.

Since then, I've been abusing the bike down rough hills and despite it's age and crash, it's perfect. Maybe this is partly due to the owner being right about the frame being clear of damage, but regardless: wow.

The frame is a size larger than Giant recommends (oddly, the previous owner was no taller than I was), but it has always fit like a glove. Handling is a bit quick - perhaps because of it being my first road bike. I will note that after I did some component swaps (see setup), I can't ride no-handed with confidence.

Comfort is nothing to complain about even though this is a bit of a competition-focused bike.

I couldn't make out much regarding the pedaling response qualities since I'm about 140lb. I'd be baffled to notice flex - which there isn't. I can't even find faults with the unpopular wheel choice it's equipped with (Mavic Aksium and Shimano WH-R500).

Maybe it's due to their age, but the brake pads (just the pads) may leave something to be desired. They will slow down the bike well-enough, but not so much of give that "bite" for quick stops at low speed.

Overall I'm pleased with the bike, albiet the fact I have it a bit below it's original spec with a lot of usage. If anything, that just gives the frame a bit more credit. Great ride. 5 stars not because it's the best bike in the world, but there's not really anything substantial to complain about. Yes, this is partly due to the care taken by the previous owner, but it's 2010 as of now, and I don't have any desire replacing this 4 year old bike at all.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Replacement components: WH-R500 rear wheel with Vittoria Rubino tire, 105 RD, Shimano PRO PLT Round Handlebars and PLT Stem, E3 Form Ti Saddle, Fizik Microtex tape.

Pedaled via. Crank Brothers Candy C's.

Submitted by Keith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness, good components. Great mix of forgiving ride feel due to the carbon frame, but stiff enough for great power transfer.

Weaknesses:    Not for those wanting a bike for loaded touring, or upright riding position.

Bottom Line:
Light and stiff, great power transfer. Handling is race inspired and could be a little twitchy if you're used to a touring bike, but is precise and enjoyable.

Favorite Ride:   giant tcr c2

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant TCR composite 2, Full Ultegra Group, Ksyrium equippe wheels

2012 Felt F6 or 2012 Giant TCR Composite 2

Hi All- I've been doing quite a bit of research on both models- I've also test rode them several times. I'm really curious to see if anyone out there has an opinion on the Felt- I've seen tons of data on the Giant, but not so much on the Felt. I realize that you get way more bang for the bu ... Read More »

Buying a Giant TCR composite 2 on Tuesday...

Does anyone have experience with this bike? Its a little outside my price range but I know I'll be glad once I own and ride it. My LBS has it in stock and have a great reputation for caring about the customer. Any positive or negative comments regarding the model are greatly appreciated... T ... Read More »

Trek 5200 vs. Giant TCR Composite 2

I have seen some older postings on this topic and would like some current advice. The Trek comes outfitted with full Ultegra gear; Bontrager wheels, saddle, handlebars, stem, and seatpost. The Giant comes mostly with Ultegra, but Race Face crank and 105 brakes (both are Ultegra on the Trek). It a ... Read More »

Trek 5200 vs. Giant TCR Composite 2

I need your opinions.. I was sold on the Giant TCR Composite 2 seeing that the components are pretty much the same as the 5200 and the bike is about $900.00 less.. The sales guy at the lbs is telling me the better buy would be to go with the Trek instead of the Giant because of the construction/qua ... Read More »

Weight of 04 Giant TCR Composite 2

anyone know where to find the stock weight of this bike? i know the frame is 2.1 lbs...cant find info on the standard build of the bike and how much that weighs....thanks.Read More »