Giant TCR SLR Road Bike

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

For sharp handling and efficient performance, it’s hard to beat the feel of the lightweight aluminum TCR SLR. Giant’s world-leading alloy engineering team achieved 20 percent thinner frame tubing walls for a superlight frame that doesn’t compromise stiffness or strength. Crafted from top-end ALUXX SLR–grade aluminum with proven design features including Giant’s Compact Road geometry and OverDrive tapered steerer tube, it’s light, it’s fast, it’s ready to rip.

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2015

Strengths:    Price. Weight. BB stiffness. Handling.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any at this price point.

Bottom Line:
I got a 2014 SLR 0 with a wheel upgrade to the the P-SLR1, which is Giant's top alloy clincher. I paid AUD $2600 and am very happy.

The bike continues to surprise me. It's the first Giant I've owned and the first alloy bike I've ridden in a long time. They have come a long way. The geometry is good for me and translates to very quick but still accurate steering. The bottom bracket area is very stiff and it climbs well. The bike is also whisper quiet too (I hate creaky bikes). With full SRAM Red 22 and the upgraded wheels, DA pedals and cages, the bike is rolling at exactly 7.0kg for a ML size. It would be possible to build one of these very light if that's your thing.

I sense there are slight differences in the ride to my carbon bikes but I do not feel the need to jump back on carbon. I just sold a Scott Foil Team Issue and still have a Kuota KOM Evo. The Foil felt slightly more reactive but was a harsher ride and had a somewhat more vague line when cornering. The Kuota is slower steering than the Giant. It dampens more road buzz but is really unforgiving over bumps. I swapped their wheels for a while to compare and still arrived at the same opinion.

I'm surprised how much I like the Giant and don't see a need for anymore bike than this, for my needs.

Purchased At:   Giant Store Perth

Similar Products Used:   Rode a CAAD10 for about 50km once and thought it was very good too. I also owned a frame made of Deda U2 tubing back in the day and the Giant is light years ahead.

Submitted by jansC a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2015

Strengths:    Stiff! Lighter than most carbon frames.
love the way it climbs. Not much has been said about its ability to scale up but it climbs like a mountain goat. Aero seat post smart design. Easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Frame graphic were difficult to match with non stealth wheels. had mine custom painted and I couldn't fault it anymore.

Bottom Line:
Love it. for the performance oriented budget conscious cyclist.

Bike Setup:   Gruppo- shimano ultegra 6700
Saddle- fizik antares
Cockpit - zipp
Wheels- fulcrum zero

Submitted by mgmoehn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    I ride the 2013 TCR SL 2 (red/black frame). This AL frame is hand down the best AL racing frame offered in the 2013 lineup (and 2014). Mine came with 105 drivetrain, cheaper shimano brakes, and cheap Giant pr-2 wheels. I upgraded to Sram Red/Force combo, and new Rol Volant R/T wheels, carbon zipp bar, and BOOM amazing ride!!

Hands down the best crit bike, with the right build can be around 15lbs and can be a crit crusher.

Weaknesses:    105 build shifts and functions fine, just wanted more snappy shifting from the brifters.
Giant PR-2 wheels are BLAH, not worth the wheels at all which is why the price was so low (1400). Broke a couple of spokes within 2 weeks of riding those wheels. Giant sent me an upgraded P-SL1 wheels that come on the SL1... those are actually worth something. They have a DT swiss influenced hub, DT swiss spokes, and Giant rims. They will not say DT swiss but I have had no problem with those wheels. They are my wheels I ride in a pinch. They handle really well actually they just dont match up to anything I would consider bombproof, stout and durable.
With the right build, this frame is amazing. Giant should sell this frameset.

Bottom Line:
Overall this bike is great and I love mine. I have upgraded the brakes, shifters, crank, FD, RD, Chain, wheels, handlebars, and saddle to make it my own. It is now lighter, faster, and ready to race. I am a competitive road racer and this frame is amazing. Took a couple of spill on it the first year I had it, if it would have been carbon, would have been TOAST