Giant TCR SLR Road Bike

For sharp handling and efficient performance, it’s hard to beat the feel of the lightweight aluminum TCR SLR. Giant’s world-leading alloy engineering team achieved 20 percent thinner frame tubing walls for a superlight frame that doesn’t compromise stiffness or strength. Crafted from top-end ALUXX SLR–grade aluminum with proven design features including Giant’s Compact Road geometry and OverDrive tapered steerer tube, it’s light, it’s fast, it’s ready to rip.

Submitted by mgmoehn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    I ride the 2013 TCR SL 2 (red/black frame). This AL frame is hand down the best AL racing frame offered in the 2013 lineup (and 2014). Mine came with 105 drivetrain, cheaper shimano brakes, and cheap Giant pr-2 wheels. I upgraded to Sram Red/Force combo, and new Rol Volant R/T wheels, carbon zipp bar, and BOOM amazing ride!!

Hands down the best crit bike, with the right build can be around 15lbs and can be a crit crusher.

Weaknesses:    105 build shifts and functions fine, just wanted more snappy shifting from the brifters.
Giant PR-2 wheels are BLAH, not worth the wheels at all which is why the price was so low (1400). Broke a couple of spokes within 2 weeks of riding those wheels. Giant sent me an upgraded P-SL1 wheels that come on the SL1... those are actually worth something. They have a DT swiss influenced hub, DT swiss spokes, and Giant rims. They will not say DT swiss but I have had no problem with those wheels. They are my wheels I ride in a pinch. They handle really well actually they just dont match up to anything I would consider bombproof, stout and durable.
With the right build, this frame is amazing. Giant should sell this frameset.

Bottom Line:
Overall this bike is great and I love mine. I have upgraded the brakes, shifters, crank, FD, RD, Chain, wheels, handlebars, and saddle to make it my own. It is now lighter, faster, and ready to race. I am a competitive road racer and this frame is amazing. Took a couple of spill on it the first year I had it, if it would have been carbon, would have been TOAST

2014 Giant TCR SLR

So what does anyone think of Giant's new alu road bike? I hope that it will have smooth welds this year! If Cannondale can do it why not other brands?!Read More »