GT Bicycles Inc. GTR Carbon Expert Road Bike

• Store Price

2009 w/Ultegra and Mavin Kysrium Equipe

Submitted by crankinmarty a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Very smooth ride. Light weight, well balanced. Quick accleration, responsive but predictable handling. Stiff bottom bracket and compact gearing makes for swift climbing. The frame height & seatpost angle with 175mm cranks allow me to put more power to the pedals. The Ritchey bar & stem fit this bike well. The colors and graphics are vibrant - I got lots of positive comments.

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness, just FYI: the XL is a long frame and I had quite a reach with the standard stem. I switched to a 110mm stem for a more comfortable upper body fit. Still stretches me out but the ride is so smooth I may stay with it. (No back or neck pain issues so far.)

Bottom Line:
In May 2010 I bought a 2010 GT GTR Expert with full SRAM Red. I am totally pleased with this bike. It gives a very comfortable ride (cushy, even??) but is stiff where it counts and climbs very well. Accerleration is very good. It is very stable on descents. I took it down a 1.5 mile long winding road at 41 mph and only the wind noise gave away my speed, it was that smooth. The SRAM Red shifters with their single (adjustable) mechanism are very easy to use. The shifts are crisp. They say Red is lighter than DuraAce.

Favorite Ride:   Palos Verdes Peninsula

Purchased At:   Performance Onpline

Similar Products Used:   Scattante CFR (2003), Fuji Roubaix, Scattante CFR Race (2010) - traded it in for the GTR.

Bike Setup:   XL = 58cm, SRAM Red drive train and brakes; Ritchey cockpit. Ksyrium Equipe wheels (black) w/ Vitorio Zafarino (?) Slick tires. (I have been using Vitorio Rubino Pro Slicks exclusively before this bike.) SRAM PC1030 chain (Rval & Force groups) is supposed to be Ultegra or Red. Having that replaced by Performance this week.

Submitted by ssnow57 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    Rigidity, light weight, frame geometry, value

Weaknesses:    proprietary seat post limits customization

Bottom Line:
Having completed a full riding season on my new GT Carbon Expert road bike I now feel well-qualified to comment on it. I upgraded from aluminium looking for a faster, more rigid ride. My 2009 Carbon Expert has not disappointed. The frame is extremely rigid providing superb power transfer. The rigidity combined with the bike's light weight (just over 17 pounds) results in excellent hill climbing performance. I was concerned that the limited sizing (I purchased an extra-large) and the compact frame design might prevent me from finding the right fit for my 6 foot 2 inch height. It turns out that the XL frame works well. Actually, the frame is almost too long. Overall, this bike is excellent. If you are looking for an all carbon road bike at a reasonable price (I paid $1899), this is it.

Submitted by 103 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2010

Strengths:    -Rigid frame
-Ultegra equipped (Performance Bicycle exclusive)
-Graphics look good

Weaknesses:    -Proprietary seat post
-Narrow bars

Bottom Line:
This is the first road bike I've purchased. Before buying this bike, I test rode a Trek Madone 5.2 and Motobecane Immortal so my comparison and experience is limited. For what it's worth, I've been very happy with the bike. The frame is very rigid like the Madone and doesn't flex under my 215lbs. For the price, components were really good compared to other bikes in the same price range. I agree with the other review about the seat post. Luckily I swapped out the stock seat with a Selle SMP which offers a lot of forward adjustment. Kind of bummed that I had to pay for a 100mm stem if GT gave the other guy one for free. Oh well....

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone 5.2
Motobecane Immortal

Bike Setup:   Spinergy Stealth PBO wheels
Selle SMP Plus saddle
E3 Curve carbon fiber handlebar
Deda tape
Carbon fiber water bottle cages

Submitted by RudeRudy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    -Customer Service, it took escalating my issue to the next level, but the result was great.
-Light Weight (~17lbs)
-Stiff Frame (Feels great when sprinting)
-Ultegra adjustability, small cog on the cassette is tough to get cleanly when using the small chainring, but you can fine tune just about every other gear combination to be silent and smooth. An option I did not have with my old 105 group.

Weaknesses:    -Not designed for shorter/wider riders. Top tube and laid back post make it a long bike and the handlebar width on the XS bike is made for XS shoulders which I do NOT have
-Graphics are a bit domestic
-Equipe wheels are a bit low end/heavy

Bottom Line:
Carbon Frame and Full Ultegra for 2k you just can't go wrong, right...well kinda. I had never purchased a bike on line before, but I did some research and considering my significant experience, especially over the last 3+ years during my return to road riding, I figured I knew exactly what I was doing...kinda
Bottom line is that I got great value in the GTR Carbon expert from Performance. But in retrospect, the GT Carbon frame was not ideal for my body type. I am a smaller/compact rider (5'6", 180lbs)and the GT frame (even size XS), along with its uniquely shaped tear drop laid back carbon seat post, cause the frame to be a bit too long for me using the standard reach componants (Stem & Bars).
After 1 ride I quickly determined that my position was not right and made a few adjustments, to no avail. I contacted GT and they explained a 0 (zero) laid back post simply was not available and reccomended that i to try shorter steering componants. Performance offered no alternative except to return the bike.
I was not happy to say the least, and I e-mailed GT Customer Service to inform them of my dissatisfaction, the lack of competent alternatives offered by GT & Performance, and my intention to return the bike.
To my surprise I received a stellar response from GT. Got a direct call from GT Management to discuss the issue and not just reccommend, but 'offer' alternatives. The first alternative worked, and a shorter stem (supplied directly by GT) has provided not an ideal, but comfortable riding position.
Thank you GT, you reaffirmed my confidence in good old fashioned customer service, and I will buy from GT again.

Favorite Ride:   Kancamangus Highway in NH