GT Bicycles Inc. GTR Series 1.0-5.0 Road Bike

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

Road Racing
Whether you’re just riding for pleasure or competing in a sanctioned race you want performance. All the bikes in the GT pavement category are designed and engineered by people that love road riding and road racing. It’s one of the reasons we live in SoCal… year ‘round road riding! If you’re a “roadie” that wants one of the purest racing machines out there, then check out the GT-R series. With the new Superlight GT designed road frames and the best components available, you will be in the driver’s seat in the peloton

Submitted by Rob a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    Wheels (Jalco)
Tires (Schalbe Lugano)

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike, but I come from a XC mtb background. It is therefore hard for me to judge this frame and compare it to other brands in terms of comfrot and handling. The head tube seems an exageration when comparing to my mate's bikes - they ride top level Scotts, Pinas, Wiliers.Supposedly this makes the GT R S 3 more of a touring/comfort frame.

The wheels are by far the worst set I have seen. Out of the box the back one needed truing. First week one spoke went. Three weeks later another spoke and the following the third spoke. I then got a set o shimano RS 10 which are far far far better.

The other poor thing are the stock tyres. I use Schwalbe mtb racing tyres and the Lugano are my first entry level set from this famous brand. They pick up debris, glass and even tiny sand grains like a sponge sucks up water. They were replaced by Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres which have much more grip and are far more resistant to thorns and glass.

One other item a changed were the brakes. I got a set of Tiagra which are slightly more efficient though I expected more. Perhaps Shimano 105 would have made a greater difference. The pads on the stock brakes got several tiny bits of aluminium stuck in them. these could have come from the rims.

The compact chainset seems OK for me, used to mtb lower gear ratios. The smaller chain ring on the FSA crankset started getting rust spots within about 6 months. I leave and ride near the sea, but other steel chain rings I own did not rust as fast.

The Tiagra geras and shifters seem fine for the price level. The shifters could be one bit narrower and therefore more comfortable. The surprising thing is theat the derraileur took just over a year to require some minor adjustment. The only other time I adjusted it was when the bike arrived at my door. I ride it between 2-5 times a week and rides vary from 1h30min to 4h in all sorts of conditions including heavy rain and sandy roads by the beach. The only maintenance is a fortnightly clean and lube.

Bottom line - a good bike for first time road cyclists.

Submitted by Sean a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is light, solid and responsive. It's my first road bike and I got it new for $600. This 2012 GT Series 3 model has the Shimano Tiagra levers and derailleurs that work great. I didn't think this would be much of an upgrade from the Sora, but now I see the difference with being able to shift from either hand position. Tires are very solid!! No flats thus far and I've logged over 300 miles in Chicago.

Weaknesses:    Rims are not the best. Had issues with them remaining true, but seems to have been a minor issue.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    A lot of the best things on the more expensive bikes in this series are simply carried down.

Weaknesses:    The wheelset.

Bottom Line:
GT GTR Series 5.0. I've had this bike for 4 months. I chose the Series 5 with plans to upgrade my components on my own time with stuff I already had lying around. First I wanted to see what annoyed me the most. The frame is fantastic. Everything is solid and quiet. Surprisingly, I really love the microshift shifters too, and I thought that would be the first thing to go before the bike arrived. I think I'm going to actually keep them -- only an 8-speed cassette, but they seem more comfortable than the 105 shifters I have.

I must mention the wheels. I weigh 185lbs, and I put some miles on the stock wheels out of sheer curiosity. They are very heavy, but I was hoping that might mean they were also very tough. Nope. They were actually round when they arrived (surprisingly), but they were definitely warped and required spoke tweaking to get them off the brake pads. More spoke tweaking after every ride. The spokes are something like a 1.8mm STRAIGHT GAUGE. Really, GT? Pop a spoke, and your LBS probably won't even be able to find you a replacement spoke. You have to replace broken ones with 2mm spokes, replacing the nipple too. That's exactly what I did, until I broke a 2nd spoke. Then I threw the wheels in my scrap pile. I put on my Pure Aero wheelset from bicycle wheel warehouse, and they transformed this bike into something fearsome. It feels like a much more expensive bike. I'd totally recommend getting the series 5 and finding some wheels for it over getting the series 1 or 2 and blowing that same money on shifters that won't help you much... just my opinion.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Submitted by Ken Jones a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Strengths:    Its lightweight for the money. Its a great climber. Handles extremely well.

Weaknesses:    Compact Crank Set and ALX200 Wheelset

Bottom Line:
Let me start of with a qualifying statement.. I'm relatively new to the road bike scene and have only had experience with a handful of bikes. That said, this bike is awesome. I purchased my 2012 GT GTR Series 2 from BikesDirect and couldn't be happier. The suggested retail on the GT Site is 1400 and I got mine for 899 (no tax or shipping costs). I'm fairly mechanically inclined so the final setup after shipping was a breeze. The first thing I noticed on my very first ride was how magnificent the frame is. Its 6061 AL and stiff as can be, but some how doesn't rattle my bones like other AL frames I've owned. It also handles well - especially on descents. The components are Shimano 105 Shifters and Rear Derailleur and Tiagra Front Derailleur and 10 ring cassette. The crank is FSA compact 39/53. One minor issue is one I have with the crank... I've never used a compact crank on a road bike before and I have trouble finding a "cruising speed" with the gears available. Its not really a problem per se.. maybe just a personal preference. At any rate, I thought it was worth mentioning.

This is essentially my first race bike and for all its positive qualities, the frame definitely tops the list. It feels like a frame that will get better as I get better. And as always, the components can be swapped as I get more comfortable and want to start shaving weight. You can't go wrong with one.

Oh.. and the Wheels suck.. get new ones.

Favorite Ride:   2012 GT GTR Series 2

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Podium, Trek 1.1, Fuji (not sure of type).

Bike Setup:   Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano Tiagra
Shifters w/integrated brake levers: Shimano 105
Crankset: FSA Gossamer Compact 39/53
6061 AL frame with Carbon Forks/steerer

Submitted by Phil a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Valuw
Comfortable due to carbon stays and forks
Sturdy Frame
Ultegra components, decent wheelset

Weaknesses:    Could be stiffer

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2010 GT series 1 with Ultegra components and a Mavic Askium wheelset. Currently I have replaced the stock saddle with a Selle Italia saddle for comfort reasons and Krysium Elites when I race. I picked up the bike during the Fourth of July sale on performance in the summer of 11' and have ridden over 2,000 miles on it so far. This was my first road bike I purchased and as a college student with limited funds I was looking for the most bang for my buck, and I found it with this bike. At $1040 purchasing this bike was akin to buying the groupset by itself with a free frame, wheelset, and saddle attached and performance wise it has served great. The bike is under 20 lbs without pedals as it comes and is decently stiff, you get a good power transfer between you and the bike but due to the carbon seat stays and fork still gives you a comfortable ride. I've ridden a century comfortably on this bike and have plans to do more endurance riding when the summer comes around. The bike's geometry is such that you can keep the stem above the highest spacer and ride upright or you can slam it down for a much more agressive style of riding. With the compact crankset you have plenty of gearing for even the most challenging of climbs and it is quite stable when descending at excess of 45 mph. The askium wheelset, while not the lightest, have served quite well as training wheels and have taken the beating of Indiana roads fraught with potholes and cracks without going out of true as of yet. The frameset seems to be quite durable, after 2 crashes I can hardly tell anything has happened other than the bartape was torn up and needed to be replaced. As an entry level road racer I can tell that at this point any faults during the race are because of the rider, not too much because of the bike at this point. And if you do start getting the itch to upgrade you have a full ultegra (minus the brakes) groupset and you can always transfer the components over if you get a new framset rather than purchasing a whole new bike. From a value and performance mindset I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone who isn't worried about having a bike from a "lesser" company that isn't a Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc because the bike will serve you well and there is no reason that you can't keep up with the boys on their carbon bikes, if you've the heart and commitment you'll be riding alongside with them and knowing that you saved a bunch in the bank. While I do acknowledge that I will be looking to upgrade sometime in the future, for your new cyclist or someone looking for performance at a good value you can't beat this. Unfortunately it looks like GT might have discontinued the series 1 bike, at least with Ultegra, they now have it outfitted with Sram Rival, another quality groupset. All in all it's a good bike with great components that will serve you well and has good components on it if you want to build up another frameset. If you're a person who really wants to try your hand in racing this is not a bad bike if you don't have another to ride but if you do you may want to consider holding out and saving up for something stiffer like a CAAD 10 which will serve you better in Crits than this bike, its in situations like that where I wish the frame was stiffer but the rider can always get stronger.
Summary:
Great Value, good bike, you will enjoy the ride and the savings, and if you want to race you may want to hold out a bit longer

Favorite Ride:   A Swedish Bakery Ride from Notre Dame up to Michigan