GT Bicycles Inc. GTR Series 4 Road Bike

Redesigned for 2010, the GTR Series 4 is GT's entry-level road bike. Hydroformed 6061 aluminum frame and a carbon fork let you shake things up in the local group ride.

Submitted by mtrac a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    Light, stiff frame
Hill climbing
Distinctive -- not a common brand in this vicinity (Northern NJ)

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur - two clicks to get to the large ring
Rear derailleur - just plain horrible, as though it has to mull middle-gear changes
Stock pedals (for my purposes)
Seat - this is not an all-day proposition

Bottom Line:
I exercise every day but never considered a bicycle until I took a bike tour of San Francisco and realized what I was missing. Leery of losing my initial enthusiasm, I refused to make a large investment. Bike Island had a GT4 in my size and I bit. I'm not shilling for LBS, but I regret not buying from one initially because I had to pay to have the wheels trued, brakes adjusted, etc. and pay again after a tire developed a bulge at around 100 miles. So, I didn't save much.

In reading the rest of my review, keep in mind this is the first time I have owned a bike in 30 years and have nothing to use as a frame of reference.

After getting the bike sorted out, I began taking progressively longer rides. Currently, I ride once a week, about 36 miles round trip on Rt 9W in NY/NJ. Shifting aside, and frankly, it's not huge, the bike is a joy to ride and I look forward to my trip and new adventures. The bike does particularly well on hills, is OK on flats, goes where it's pointed -- even leaning is sufficient -- and the ride isn't harsh. Trip duration is limited by my schedule, not the bike. I've gone "all in" and bought frame and floor pumps, bottle and cage, lights, multi-tool, bag, clothes, etc. Am considering commuting to work (6 miles) but the safety prospects are overwhelming at the moment. Also thinking about a bike rack for the car.

Rode once with my boss and his carbon Trek. Granted, I'm younger, but the GT4 and I were more than a match for his expensive bike and him. Nevertheless, this is an entry-level bicycle and you will be overtaken much more than you overtake.

Overall, this has been an excellent purchase. I probably won't be upgrading components, but if and when I get a better bike, I won't discard it, either.

Purchased At:   Bike Island

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!