GT Bicycles Inc. GTR Sport SRAM Road Bike

GTR full carbon monocoque frame with assymetric head tube, carbon dropouts, press-in low Q Factor BB , and new semi compact geometry. Full SRAM Rival with Tom Ritchey kit and Fizik Arione saddle.

Submitted by Andrew Sutherland

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth ride, good component set, looks sharp

Weaknesses:    The stock Alex wheelset is 1800g and the tires are 330g each. This adds considerable weight to the entire bike. My XL weighs 19 lbs dead with pedals.

Bottom Line:
The bike is really good and I am still glad I bought it. It is a bit heavy for racing, but since I work at a bike shop, I can shave around 2 lbs for around $700 by upgrading the wheels and swapping out the tires when they are worn out. The component group is really solid and the frame has smoothed out the 1700 miles I have put on it. I would buy it again, but consider a bigger brand with more road bike history (Cannondale, Trek etc)

Submitted by Mike Overly a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2010

Strengths:    Very light. Strong & stable. Well-speced and extraordinary value on-sale at Performance Bike. Classy blue-on-white paint leaves some swaths of clear-coat carbon weave open for your viewing pleasure.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels.

Bottom Line:
2010 (RBR database submission form still won't permit model years beyond 2007)

Swap the stock wheels/tires and this easily turns into a well-sorted sub-16 pounder. My first carbon bike and it compares well to steel in response and stability. Very nice ride and no doubts on descents; eager climber.

The major difference between this and my steel bikes is the lower weight and carbon "float" over small road imperfections. It's an odd sensation to an old steel guy, but nice in a utilitarian sort of way. I don't think carbon will ever be for ride quality connoisseurs, but you can't beat the ability to get a smooth ride, direct-drive power transfer, *and* low weight with any other current frame material.

SRAM shifting just makes sense. Not as smooth as the Campy on my other bikes, but shifts every bit as quick and you *know* you've shifted. If your thumbs get numb on long rides you'll like SRAM shifting better than Campy.

Time will tell how this holds up, but the engineering of tube shapes and the all-carbon construction all look smart to me.

Favorite Ride:   Wind at my back.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike