Jamis Comet 18 Road Bike

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Frame Material: aluminum/carbon fiber
Frame Angles: 73.0 head, 74.5 seat
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Flame Red/Gloss Black
Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Carbon Comp

Submitted by cxfausto a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    Surprisingly brilliant frame
Outstanding part spec
Price!
Deserves a value rating of 11!

Weaknesses:    If I really had to find a flaw I guess it would be the saddle. But saddles are like pedals, every one has their favorite and just swaps it out anyway.

Bottom Line:
Here in Western Canada it's hard to find an Eclipse or a Xenith so I had been riding a Cannondale Six13. At year end, the Jamis dealer had a new Comet he was blowing out at a good price. I loved the pearly white paint so I bought it. I know it seems like a downgrade but I really love Jamis bikes and was willing to take a chance.

After swapping Ultegra and Easton wheels for the Dura Ace and Ksyriums from my Six13 the bike with quattros came in just a hair under 17lbs.

I'm not usually a fan of compact geometry and it seemed to take quite a few rides to get the cockpit and saddle position just right. Once everything was set the ride was fantastic!

Although not as stiff as most high end racing machines (which this is not) the frame had a smooth confident manner that was as capable in a crit as it was outfitted with aero bars for a 40km tt. In fact I won the Masters Provincial TT aboard my Comet. I also rolled a clincher off the rim at 53 km in a crit and the bike stayed upright and well under control.

I don't know if it's the tubing or the compact geometry but I felt very at home on my Comet.

I know that this bike has been phased out of the road racing line-up but if you are looking at buying a used one or a Ventura Elite, which I believe is basically the same bike, It would certainly serve a budget racers needs.

Although the frame lacks aero tubing I've since dedicated it to a time trial set-up. I think it may be the compact geometry that has allowed me to find a very comfortable tt position. As well I managed to get my hands on a Xenith frame for my new road race bike which I will review at the end of the year.

Favorite Ride:   Anything warm and sunny

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 10 speed
Ksyruim SLs
Easton stuff,
All the usual suspects.

Submitted by dudebro a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Strengths:    VALUE! No other bike is even close to this value. 17.5 pounds, no shortcuts, high end parts, sick-bird wheels, double or triple chainrings, $1699.

Weaknesses:    I dunno.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2005 Comet, with the Ultegra 10, with the platinum and black frameset.

This bike is great. I looked around a LOT before buying this rig. I couln't find anything else that came close to the Comet's spec at its price level: triple butted Kinesium aluminum with carbon seatstays, Ultegra 10, carbon crankset, Easton EC90 fork, stem, bar, and post. The Easton Circuit wheelset is something that you might actually go out and buy! There are no chincy shortcuts, such as a mix of Ultegra/105, or Felt's use of Tektro brakes and Alex wheels. Even the stock saddle is nice. Overall, the spec is very simple and clean, and the attention to detail allowed me to get a large frame (semi-compact geometry) fully ready to go at 17.5 pounds!

As for the bike itself, it's great. It really wants to go fast, and begs me to keep riding it after my body refuses. It doesn't have any nervous ticks, and doesn't do anything unsettling when I go above 40 mph. Of course, the drive train and drivetrain are smooth and predictable. The frame is very stiff and responsive, and accelerates nicely. It is a bit harsh when I hit pavement irregularities that I don't see. This is my first real road bike, though, and I am used to a suspended mountain bike, so my guess is that it is actually quite forgiving for a road bike.

Jamis is a small manufacturer, and it can be pretty hard to find a shop that sells them. I got mine at Performance Bicycle here in Portland, Oregon, but I recently learned that they were no longer going to carry Jamis. WTF?
Another thing I liked about the Comet is that, not only could you select the Ultegra 10 double or triple setup, but they were the same price. It's almost as if Jamis wants your bike to suit you and your needs! Who would have thought, no price penalty for wanting the extra gears even though Jamis paid more for the triple. I appreciate that kind of thinking, even though I opted for the double.

Favorite Ride:   Larch Mountain

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Test rode others:
Felt F65;
Specialized Allez something-or-other;
Lemond BlahBlahBlah.

Bike Setup:   All stock as per their website, except for swapped out stock cassette for 11-25.

Submitted by jitteringjr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2004

Strengths:    Ksyrium Elite Wheels
Full Ultegra
Carbon Fiber seat stays, seat post, and fork

Weaknesses:    White paint was very hard to keep clean. Not as flashy as some other bikes.
Fizik Pave saddle was harsh, but light
Hutchinson Carbon Comp tires were light but cause too many flats. I swtiched to Vittoria Rubinos and had no more flats even when the frame was destroyed in the accident.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2003 model, but this site doesn’t list Jamis bikes for 2003. The only difference between the 04 and 03 models is paint color. I rode this bike for one year and about 3000 miles before it was destroyed when a car hit me.

I got this bike as a year end clearance so I only paid $1400 for it and thus was the main selling point for me. Also, the compact geometry fit me like a glove and allowed me to sit up a little more yet still be aero in the drops. My wrist pain from my older Trek XO1 quickly went away when I switched to this bike. The carbon fiber seat stays, fork and seat post also kept the vibrations down while still giving it a fast feeling and good responsiveness. It was a little loose feeling compared to the heavy duty cross frame of the Trek, but I quickly got used to it.

I was very content with this bike and while I was riding it, I never felt an urge to upgrade anything and I am a compulsive up grader. I am sad to have lost it in the accident and I am currently unable to match its quality for the price (even at full retail much less my discounted price) in the 2004 and 2005 models. I would buy a 2005 model, but the LBS where I got this one stopped carrying Jamis in order to carry the more popular Giant brand so it may be difficult to do so. They said I could order one, but I probably wouldn’t get a test ride.

Favorite Ride:   West Creek