Jamis Quest Road Bike

4.44/5 (27 Reviews)

Nothing—absolutely nothing—beats steel’s magic carpet ride quality. It’s why magazines describe the most praiseworthy carbon and aluminum frames as being “steel-like.” Steel is the benchmark. And these bikes show you why. Legendary Reynolds steel—possibly the winningest brand in cycling—and our own Size Specific Tubing guarantee amazing ride quality, with the zing and resilience that minimizes road vibration and maximizes pedal efficiency and handling potential. Steel road bikes just feel planted in corners, and with our full carbon road fork to guide them, these bikes absolutely rail around the bends.

Submitted by Matt Foley a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2013

Strengths:    No complaints.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake cable is underneath top tube. When bike is transported on a bike hanger off your car trunk, the hangers rub the brake cable against the bottom of the top tube and rub off the paint. No paint equals rust. Why couldn't they route the cable on the side or top?

Had to replace rear wheel when some spokes broke at the double walled rim.

Bottom Line:
Within a few years the frame had cracked at seat tube. Performance Bike upgraded my Quest frame to Jamis Eclipse frame (stronger steel alloy), no charge because lifetime warranty. Don't know why they didn't charge for the frame upgrade.

I was happy with that. No problems until 2012 when REAR BRAKES FAILED. The metal rear brake bridge detached from the carbon seat stays. Most brake bridges are welded to the seat stays; not on this Eclipse. For some incomprehensible reason Jamis decided to use an aluminum or other metal bridge and epoxy it between the stays. Over time the epoxy failed. Squeeze the rear brake, the brakes grab the wheel, and the bridge pries loose from the stays.

I've never heard of this happening; as far as I know I'm the only one. I tried for months to get a response from Jamis with no results. Out of luck because Performance doesn't carry Jamis any longer. Also, the shop I purchased from closed. Before they closed I had them check their records for my purchase but they didn't go back that far. I had no way to prove my purchase to get it repaired.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike in

Submitted by Jack

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2013

Strengths:    Wonderful steel frame
Carbon fork

Weaknesses:    FSA crankset
"Ergo" bars
Alex wheels

Bottom Line:
Before delivery, I had my bs swap the Alex wheels with a pair of Mavic Kysirum Equip from my old bike.
I eventually changed the handlebar to FSA 'short and shallow'
Came across a full used SRAM Rival groupo, so ditched the 105/FSA stuff. The SRAM is much better.
Using Fizik Aliante saddle.
Sometimes I think about a new bike, but a few minutes on anything else is a drag.
I have several thousand miles on mine and it never gets old.
I got a good deal when I bought it. It was left over, probably 2010 model(black/white)

Submitted by Roy

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2013

Strengths:    I purchased a 2004 model back in 2005 when they became "clearance" models. What a fantastic deal I got. I paid roughly a grand and have been pounding the pavement now for a solid 8 years. There are thousand of bikes available out there but I would never consider owning anything other than my Quest. I'll venture to say that I have ridden 20K miles on her and NOTHING has gone wrong except ONE flat tire.

Weaknesses:    The ONLY thing that has needed repaired in 9 years is the handle bar tape needed replaced....its so laughable! What other bike rider could compare to that.

Bottom Line:
Awesome, awesome awesome!

Submitted by Slow but old a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    This has been a great bike for nine months. The frame is supple and smooth, the components are well matched to one another and to the frame.

Weaknesses:    . It helps to buy a bike at a great shop. The FD was faulty and the shop upgraded to Ultegra, replaced and tuned it to a T. The odd adjustable stem is really kind of handy, although it looks really strange.

Bottom Line:
I modified my Quest a bit before I bought it. Nicer wheels, with Open Pro rims, X-ray spokes, and White Industries hubs (32/28) are fabulous. Brooks Pro seat looks right on the frame, with a setback seatpost from Velo Orange, and 105 all the way through, including brakes and a triple with a 26 tooth granny gear. The final price remained just under $2500, and it is money well spent. I am a reasonably strong recreational rider, 56, and have put 1500 miles on the bike since March. The way I have set it up would not suit a racer, but it could be a club bike with an SRAM drivetrain and skinnier tires. I tried the Giant Defy 1, a Roubaix, and a couple of Treks, and found nothing to compare with my version of the Quest at the 2200 to 2800 price point.

Purchased At:   Devil's Gear, New Ha

Similar Products Used:   2001 Coda

Submitted by Kim

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    This might be the best bike I've ever owned! I've ridden steel frames for years but nothing, NOTHING, comes close to how this bike moves me through the roads. It's supple and alive and I feel stronger than I actually am. And, I was able to fenders and a nice aerodynamic rack on the back so I can actually use it for something other than longer weekend rides!

Weaknesses:    I wish it came with pedals. I understand why it doesn't but it's a lot of money and a decent knockoff shimano pedal would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Overall, 10 out of 10. Seriously the best amount of money I could've ever spent on a bike. It makes me want to ride more and more. This is something out of my imagination!

Quest for the perfect backpack

I have been on a quest lately for the perfect backpack to commute to work with. I want something that is a good size so I have room for extra layers and my lunch and whatever extra crap I will end up having to have with me. So I want it to have extra pockets to organize every thing. I also have to h ... Read More »

135BCD guard or ring quest

I am looking for either a guard for a 42 tooth single ring setup for a campy 135BCD or I want a 44 or 45 tooth ring for the 135BCD. Cyclocrossworld.com is out of stock of the wetzikon 135BCD guard right now. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any other source for campy spaced chainrings or guard ... Read More »

Quest, Casseroll, Townsend?

Hi folks, I've been on the hunt for a new bike for the past several months. I'm 30 something woman-- new to cycling and am interested in doing some scenic rides, getting around town a bit, and maybe light credit card touring down the road. Aesthetically, I'm drawn to traditional geometry, vintage ... Read More »

Quest

I have been riding a 2004 Fuji Newest and it is time to step it up to a new bike. I like steel. So far, leading the race is the Jamis Quest (femme). Anyone know if there any significant difference between the 2011 and 2012 models? Also, if I go with this bike, is there any advantage to a triple ... Read More »

Suunto Quest Cedence Sensor

I have been training with one of the new Suunto Quests for a few weeks now but as far as I am aware, there is no option to connect it up to one of Suunto's cadence sensors. Is anyone using the Suunto Quest with a cadence sensor at the moment? Blog - [URL="http://www.runtheline.com/2507/suunto-que ... Read More »