Jamis Satellite Road Bike

3.83/5 (18 Reviews)

Nothing—absolutely nothing—beats steel’s magic carpet ride quality. It’s why magazines describe the most praiseworthy carbon and aluminum frames as being “steel-like.” Steel is the benchmark. And these bikes show you why. Legendary Reynolds steel—possibly the winningest brand in cycling—and our own Size Specific Tubing guarantee amazing ride quality, with the zing and resilience that minimizes road vibration and maximizes pedal efficiency and handling potential. Steel road bikes just feel planted in corners, and with our full carbon road fork to guide them, these bikes absolutely rail around the bends.

Submitted by Mike Butler a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    The steel frame provides for a smooth ride
Handling is good without being too aggressive
The components are in line with the price. ($725 US)
Warranty has cover all problems
Very nice beginner bike

Weaknesses:    LBS had to replace the seat post after just 2 months
Shifter cables had to be replaces at about the same time due to the cable housing getting kinks that prevented smooth shifting
I later replaced the stock seat

Bottom Line:
I have the 2011 Jamis Satellite which I purchased about 8 months ago. This is my first road bike in over 20 years. I road 10 or so bikes before I made my purchase. The relaxed geometry and smooth ride was a major selling point. This bike has been a great source of enjoyment and has really improved my fitness level. I have about 2000 miles on it and I really love the bike. I would definitely recommend this bike to any one that just wants to just get out and ride.

Purchased At:   The Community Bicycl

Submitted by James Vaughn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Strengths:    Incredible value ($700 US street)

Weaknesses:    None as yet, components are in line with the price of the bike.

Bottom Line:
Update on Jamis Satelitte, I purchased a 2011 model and have had ZERO trouble with the seat/post. The seat itself is torture, but that's to be expected from any stock saddle IMO.
Great Value!

Submitted by Mossen a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Bottom Line:
New to cycling, got this bike for commuting. Overall I am happy with it - it has fulfilled my expectations.

But there are some annoyances. The stock seat was not good and lasted for about a week before it started hurting and got replaced. The brakes are noisy, oddly the front makes a different sound than the back. The way the Sora and brake controls are mounted makes it very difficult to shift or brake when riding on the lower bars. I don't ride there much anyway so its not a deal for me.

The drivetrain is entry level and it shows. The chainring shifter (not sure what its really called) gets out of adjustment real quick, I have to microadjust the position every morning, otherwise it scrapes the chain. Plus, when shifting on the triple crank sometimes it takes 2 pushes to get it to engage the next chainring. Maybe it just needs to be tweaked, I dunno.

The bike itself rides really smooth, and when everything is adjusted right, its super quiet, and nimble. Accelerates well, and good for climbing. The cog shifter is nearly unnoticeable going down, and smooth on the way up. No problems with the frame, fork or wheels so far. Despite the annoyances I listed above, I think it was a good value and I look forward to riding it every day.

Purchased At:   Sports Basement

Submitted by Andrew Jones a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    Good value

Weaknesses:    Wheels, spokes, service/warranty issues with retailer

Bottom Line:
Great bike for first 800 miles or so. Back wheel was making noise in the hub. Retailer replaced rim under warranty. A few hundred miles later had a broken spoke. Replaced spoke, had rim trued up, and 50 miles later it broke again. Currently fighting with them about warranting this and giving me a different rim entirely. Bike shop is saying since they replaced the rim once, they won't be able to replace it again since Jamis wouldn't approve. Tried to blame my 'riding style' for breaking the spokes!!
If that were the case then I guess most of the other 800 riders with me that day would have broken spokes as well. Not happy with my local bike shop, Jamis, or the Mavic POS rim on my bike. Has anyone out there had any luck contacting Jamis direct for warranty issues?

Favorite Ride:   Jamis Satellite 2010

Purchased At:   Lone Star Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Relaxed

Submitted by Doggity a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Steel frame and fork, excellent, comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Just lose the junque components, replacing them whenever you find a good deal. Not the bike for somebody trying to keep up with the carbon and Spandex crowd.

Bottom Line:
Mine's the 2010 Satellite Sport triple. This is an entry level road bike that you should actually seriously consider!
Why? Because, unlike most every other bike at this price point, it has a really decent STEEL frame AND fork, and rides really smoothly! The bones of this bike are good, even if a lot of the components are marginal. I am used to lighter (and more expensive) aluminum/carbon bikes; this one's ride is way less fatiguing on long rides.
OK, the weaknesses: The saddle and seatpost, as others have noted are junque.
You were going to replace those anyway.
Typical entry level Alex rims (garbage!); I figgered I'd get 500 miles on 'em before I started breaking spokes, the first one went at 350 miles (so I'm a Clyde..). The stock brake shoes (plastic) are HORRIBLE. Replace them with a pair of KoolStops right away, the brakes will be OK. What else...Oh. The Shimano 2300 STI shifters are clunkers, and a mistake, at this price point. Jamis should have put Shimano's 8 speed bar end shifters on this bike-way better made, way more fun. Friction shifting just goes with this bike, it is a natural, and how everyone shifted anyway before the mid 90's.
What? You're a racer wannabe? This bike isn't for you, anyway. That's not what this bike is about! This bike is for the kind of rider who'd normally buy a Surly CrossCheck, or a Rivendell or the like but can't afford it.
Way comfortable, way fun, good responsive ride, not too slow and clunky, (unlike the Riv I had) considering its weight, which is a few lbs heavier than usual, these days. Not the ride for weight weenies, but for the non spandex rider who knows what they're about, might be the best cheap bike you've ever bought.
Here's the thing:I've replaced the wheels with hand built Shimano Ultegra hubs/Mavic 33 rims, the saddle with a Brooks B17, the seatpost with a Thompson Elite, Nitto handlebars, and the brifters with excellent Shimano 8 speed bar end shifters. I now have a comfortable, bomb proof bike for about what you'd spend on a usual aluminum/carbon forked entry level bike.
Sorry, my bike's WAY better now, IMHO. Waaaay better..there's nothing to break, and I haven't spent any more than a typical $1100 entry level bike, with which I'd STILL have to do the same thing. Recommended.

Favorite Ride:   2010 Jamis Satellite Sport

Purchased At:   The Broken Spoke

Similar Products Used:   2006 Specialized Roubaix. 2008 Rivendell Bleriot.

Bike Setup:   Stock frame and fork. Nitto Randoneur 45cm handlebars. Shimano 8 speed BAR END shifters. Stock Sora derailleurs and gear cluster. Stock crankset. Ultegra hubs/Mavic 33 rims. Brooks B17 saddle, Thomson Elite seatpost. I'm set for life.

Satellite TV for dummies.

For one dummy anyway. Probably simple question that I can't find the answer to after spending too much time on Google searching for it. I have a Bell SD receiver I'm not currently using. I've decided to add a tv to the man cave. I'm currently using a ([I]single tuner[/I]) Bell HD receiver/dual LNB d ... Read More »

Satellite Phones

"NorthernAxcess Satellite Communications provides satellite phone sales, satellite phone rentals, satellite phone repairs, satellite phone airtime services, satellite Internet terminal sales and airtime, and satellite tracking sales and services....you can view their website at www.NorthernAxcess.co ... Read More »

Noobie asks: can a Jamis Satellite Sport suffice for my first year???

Can this Jamis bike suffice for my first year? I hope so! I went to a recommended bike shop and talked with some well-seasoned commuters with the interest in a good overall road bike to put in some serious commuting miles. After a few months it became clear that I like riding more and more, and fast ... Read More »

Garmin 500 not able to locate satellite

I bought a Garmin 500 a couple weeks ago and every time I turn it on it has problems locating the satellite. I then have to go into setup and pick the satellite. Yesterday, I used it for the first time on my bike and after about 9 minutes it shut off. I choose the US National satellite selection ... Read More »

Jamis Satellite Sport or Torker Interurban

Hi Folks, Thank you in advance for your time and I greatly appreciate any feedback. I've recently accepted a job at a company that will be close enough to my apartment to commute. I live in Austin, TX and the roads that I will be taking are pretty bike friendly, so I've decided to begin commut ... Read More »