Jamis Ventura Sport Road Bike

3.4/5 (15 Reviews)

• FRAME: Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum, sloping top tube frame design, replaceable derailleur hanger.
  • FORK: Carbon fiber straight blade unicrown with alloy steerer, forged dropouts.
  • HEADSET: Aheadset, internal cup type, alloy, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Alex AKX R1.0 wheelset, aero profile rims with CNC sidewalls, 28/32H, radial front, 2X rear.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Flash, 700 x 23C.
  • DERAILLEURS: Shimano Sora rear, Sora 31.8mm band clamp front.
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano Sora Dual Control STI, 16-speed
  • WEIGHT: 21.75 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Private

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    only paid $450

Weaknesses:    Too much weaknesses

Bottom Line:
    peice of crap

Submitted by Ian M a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2015

Strengths:    Very solid and stable bicycle.
    Amazing Price Point
    Perfect Aluminum Sport Commuter for anyone who rides in both good and bad weather
    Comes with Rach Mounts - didn't expect that at this price point

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel was heavy, and I broke 4 spokes within the first 6 months, so I replaced the wheel with a Fulcrum Sport, which has been trouble for 2 years

Overall weight was acceptable, but the rear wheel in particular had to go

Bottom Line:
    Great value, very good ride quality, you might need to replace the rear wheel within the first year. I paid $404 for this bike at a Canadian Big Box sporting goods store - because I was tired of worrying about my $5k road bike being stolen from work or public spaces. I really had low expectations, not only because of the price point, Sora components, and "Sport" logo on the bike, but because over the last 30 years I've never bought a single bike that didn't win some sort of honors in a mainstream bike magazine, fearing I'd be a "lesser rider" if I didn't spend at least two whole pay cheques to get a 5 star bike.

Well, 17 bikes later, I've held on to three of them for more than 2 years, and the Jamis Ventura Sport is one of those bikes.

The frame is super stiff and somehow manages to deliver compliance I wasn't expecting. I would describe the ride as stable, and the road bumps resonate through the aluminum frame, not in a jolting way, but enough to keep you aware of bigger bumps.

I should mention I've ridden a fair bit of gravel trail routes on this bike including some steep tree root covered wet trails, and it is easily the best bike I've ever had for "adventure" rides where you might see different types of road surfaces. In fact, I can say it's been a bit of an apiphany that I can go for a ride and if I want to, take a road bike "Off Road" with only the most mtb worthy trails being, well, mtb only.

I wouldn't recommend this bike if someone wants to do long distance riding as the frame and overall ride is NOT as comfortable as a carbon fiber frame , It could be transformed to a very good long distance bike, if you are willing to invest in an exceptionally good saddle, and some quality 28 wide tires, which could tame just about any road

This bike at much less money, has meant so much more to me, as I've deep six'd the notion that a good ride has to be on a Pro GC frame with either Dura-Ace or Campagnolo Super Record. Not at all. In fact I have started to feel a bit duped by the small fortune I've spend on bikes, only to have warranty replacements of inferior workmanship in the first year. None of that, except the rear wheel on the Jamis Sport.

Favorite Ride:   Capilano River Canyon

Purchased At:   Sportschek

Bike Setup:   Planet bike rear fender
    removed all risers from steer tube to get lower position

Submitted by Jarkko Kettula

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Strengths:    Price, 400 euros for New Bike is great price. After 25 years mountainbiking i bought Jamis as a third bike, my first road bike. Suddenly it went so that i forgot mtbs and i use just Jamis. Very easygoing first roadbike, components are good enough on this price class, riding is easy and frame is comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Crankset could be better.

Bottom Line:
    Value for money, exellent

Submitted by The Bman

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Bang for your buck. Feels steady and well built. If this were a Trek it would be $1000. I don't care if I have a Chinese from that says Trek or Jamis.

Weaknesses:    Not very aggressive so if you are in good shape and really start riding you may want something more race worth. But I flipped the stem, slammed the bars and it feels great.

Bottom Line:
    I pooped my pants.

Submitted by benroe1000

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    stiff frame, comfortable ergonomics, great mile eater

Weaknesses:    wheels, stock seat

Bottom Line:
    I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 280lbs. I love to ride and most of my riding is done on back roads with tar and chip and hot melt surfaces running about 50/50. The ventura sport has been a good companion and I consider it my go to bike on charity rides. It has not been without issues though. I know this is the entry level into the road bike line but something has to be done about the alex/formula combo. I was constantly breaking spokes and warping the stock wheels. I upgraded to a shimano r500 wheelset that has been tough as nails so far. A megasoft seat also made a nice upgrade as the stock seat is uncomfortable at best. The stock aluminum fork also pales in comparison to the origin 8 carbon fork I upgraded to. But hey, I got this thing for something like 600 bucks out the door which is great for a new road bike. If I was a skinny lad the wheels may have held up better but who knows. I am very pleased with the bike and even after the upgrades I will have far less in it than another brand and have a bike that fits me well and I can ride all day without worries. I would definitely recommend this bike for someone getting their feet wet in bicycling or for someone looking for a decent bike on the cheap.

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!