Jamis Xenith Comp Road Bike

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

• FRAME: Full carbon fiber composite frame including lugs, sloping top tube design, monostay seatstays, replaceable derailleur hanger.
  • FORK: Jamis 1-piece, fully integrated carbon fiber, with alloy dropouts.
  • HEADSET: FSA IS-3 Integrated, theadless, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Mavic Aksium 700C wheelset, 20/24H UB Control rims, QRM sealed cartridge/FTS-L hubs, stainless steel spokes.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Quartz, 700 x 23C, Kevlar.
  • DERAILLEURS: Shimano Ultegra rear, ‘105’ braze-on front.
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano ‘105’ Dual Control STI, 20-speed.
  • WEIGHT: 17.75 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Stephen Fullerton

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    2010 featured a great component spec and race quality frame. Entry level wheels sucked but that was a huge plus

Weaknesses:    Cheesy white tape and seat

Bottom Line:
    I have logged somewhere around 6000 miles on my Xenith Comp since 2010 and flat out love this bike. I listed the low end wheels as a positive because for a bike that you can purchase for under $2000 most of the time all you actually have to do is slap on some Neuvations M28X's or American Classic 420's and you will have a full blown speed machine and still be around $2500. Great balance in ride feel and feedback. I wouldn't say that it excels at any one aspect of climbing, descending, or riding in the flats, its just simply ready for anything you ask it to do and you can confidently handle any situation.

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Purchased my Jamis Xenith Comp brand new in 2011. I researched and reviewed a number of different brands and set a MAX budget for myself of about $3000.00 dollars. I ended up paying a good bit less than that for my Xenith Comp, but I have to say the bike gives nothing away in terms of performance, spec, fit or finish! I have gotten several compliments from other riders at different stops on how sharp the bike is. Mine is the combo pearl white with kevlar weave and looks striking. The nice red anodized bits really set it off well too. The ride quality is typically stiff for carbon, but it transmits power awesome and corners like it's on rails! I do notice the stiffness a bit on longer, bumpier back-road rides, but I think the handling and acceleration make for a worthwhile trade off. I have always been a huge Shimano component fan as well. It may not always be the "sexiest" stuff out there, but it always functions flawlessly, and the 105 components on this bike are no exception. Shifting is crisp and accurate, and I experienced very minimal cable stretch and adjustment after my initial few rides. I think the other big perk of this bike is that it's all there - meaning, I would not hesitate to invest and upgrade components as time needed or as I desired. For example, I do like the Mavic wheel set the bike came with, but it's a bit on the heavy side. I think I'm going to invest in a lighter set of wheels eventually and keep the Mavic's for training rides. The only other upgrade I am considering is a set of Ritchey WCS carbon bars.

Weaknesses:    About the only weakness I can come up with is that the bike is stiff - so if you're looking for a softer more compliant ride, this may be a drawback for you.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, dollars to value, performance and quality, I would give this bike 5 of 5 stars. Similarly equipped bikes from other manufacturer's that I looked at were a good bit more $ wise and I didn't care for the looks, appearance as much either.

Submitted by Andy Hutcheson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Relatively light
    Very stable
    Gorgeous matte black carbon finish
    Turns a lot of heads back here in Canada
    Was concerned with going to Shimano from Campy but components are bomb-proof.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are a little heavy, but compared with Allez, overall bike is almost 6 lbs lighter

Bottom Line:
    2009 Jamis Xenith Comp: Upgraded from a 1994 Specialized Allez Comp c/w full Campy gruppo. Very pleased with Allez, but wanted to spoil myself with a carbon upgrade. Used to race a lot, but I am currently recovering from a right hip replacement so comfort and weight was a factor in purchase. Rick Marquis at Javelina Cycles was very helpful with regards to what I wanted and what I needed. Did extensive research on-line and at local bike shops before making my purchase. (Only bike I could find with virtually "no negatives" in the reveiws) Rode with the Phoenix Metro Bike Club during our stay in Phoenix and would not have been able to stay with Saturday/Sunday groups withour the Xenith!!!

Favorite Ride:   Long Crisp Road Rides

Cannondale Six Carbon 6

Bike Setup:   Stock except for older model 105 pedals

Submitted by Buckhead a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great value
    Stable at speed
    Confidence-inspiring

Weaknesses:    Stock wheelset is heavy
    Compact crank

Bottom Line:
    My bike is actually a 2008 (year before the BB30), but it was not an option.

This was my first road bike and I was very happy with my choice. The bike is comfortable, lightweight and responsive. Additionally, it was stable at 40mph.

The design also got a fair amount of compliments with the exposed carbon and silver paint job.

Favorite Ride:   Any time the wind is at my back