Kestrel RT-1000 Road Bike

Kestrel RT 1000 105: Lightweight Comfort and Speed The Kestrel RT 1000 features an endurance geometry giving the rider a more upright and comfortable position for more efficiency and sustainability during high mileage rides. At the core...

Submitted by Millhaus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Amazingly comfortable without giving up much at all

Weaknesses:    the slightly relaxed geometry makes climbing slower than on a race geometry frame

Bottom Line:
I have to say I am amazed at the way this frame rides. I find myself riding faster for longer on the flats on this bike than my Fuji SL1. It does not climb as fast as the SL1 but descending and going the distance this bike is the ticket! I know we all are not supposed to be into looks but the carbon on this bike, the shape of the tubes etc is just beautiful! it is like a work of art, comfortable and smooth. If you are looking for a great bike that does it all and is different than everyone elses treks & cannondale, this is the bike for you!

Similar Products Used:   Fuji SL1 Shimano

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/105

Submitted by Kid Canada a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is stiff
Cornering
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Oval Wheelset

Bottom Line:
I don't have alot to compare this bike to as all my previous bikes were mountain bikes, but my experience has been mostly great. It was like going from driving a dump truck to jumping into a corvette. Mine came with the 105 groupset from front to back.

Once I got used to the Kestrel I just loved the feel. Smooth ride and corners very well. I don't have a lot of hills but I managed to max out at 51kph at the bottom of one of the small hills I do have. I never once felt like the bike was going to come out from under me and was trying to get even more speed out of it. The frame is stiff (and I am a bigger rider at 6'3” and 240lbs) and responds well to when I put power into the wheels. Even in the high winds it still performs very nicely, I just wish I could say the same.

The only weakness I found was the Oval wheelset. This may have been partly my fault as I was used to putting a lot of torque into the pedals on mountain bikes but road bikes are not big fans of that. I had the back wheel trued up twice in the fall as it kept going out of round. Now I have learned to not “mash” the pedals and the wheels finished the year up fine. I have alreasy upgraded the wheels for the coming year and look forward to getting back out there.

Purchased At:   BikedoctorUSA

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105

Submitted by Tiger094

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, well built, light but stiff frame, corners well for a comfort specd bike.

Weaknesses:    steer tube long, head tube could have been higher for a better look and less spacers. Can only use a Kestrel seat tube. Seat is hard

Bottom Line:
Wow is all I can say. This bike came with a real 105 group not the mix and match one other manufactures are selling. The quality is high, not only in the component selection but the frame looks and feels quality. I wanted a more relaxed ride than my Cannondale offered and rode a synapse but didnt feel like I was in a more relaxed position. I tried a few bikes and talked to people and almost thought a used Trek was all I could get, a new one was out of the question do to overly priced Treks. I found this bike in my search and checked the geometry and called a few dealers about the ride. There werent many reviews online so I was naturally hesitant. I took the plunge and am glad I did. The bike arrived professionally packed and partially assembled. I finshed the assembly and changed the seat and stem right away. The seat was very hard and uncomfortable. Shouldnt a comfort bike have a comfort saddle? The stem is 110 and was a little too long for me. Luckily I had a 75mm one in my parts bin and that finished the intial buid. I have never owned a compact and am adjusting to the new setup. After a few rides I can honestly say the bike is a big upgrade in comfort compared to my Cannondale and other bikes I had ridden. Even with the relaxed riding position the RT1000 corners nicely with the front end feeling planted. Though not as much of a carver as the standard fit bikes, the RT 1000 doesnt give up much and makes up for a surpasses others in overall ride. This is my first full carbon bike and I would say it feels very stiff, though the bumps seem to be absorbed with no jolts to the rider. The Kestrel rolls nicely and Oval has done a good job on their wheels. After setting up the shifters, shifting is crisp and accurate. Kestrel shows up the competition big time here by using almost the full 105 group. Other manufactures are only using 105 shifters and derailleurs but charging more $$$. I have noticed that this bike likes to go and gets up to speed quick. Part of this must be due to the low weight of 16.8 lbs and the rest accredited to a well thought out frame design. The seat post is kind of weird to us mortals, its wedge shaped and has a funky 2 bolt adjustment system that had me wanting a little longer front screw. However the front screw appears to be a specialty item. After careful adjustment I was able to get the angle that was comfortable. I havent done more than a 20 mile ride yet but know I will be able to ride further without the discomfort normally associated with road bikes. Now to see if I can be happy with a compact.......vs a triple.

Submitted by Timothy Coffey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, Stiff and more still. Upright "plush" geometry for longer riding. It does not detact from speed

Weaknesses:    Oval wheelset

Bottom Line:
am coming from a 08 Fuji Team (carbon) medium-large (56 inch? 105 group. I may not have fitted to the bike correctly because I had to reach for the handle bar hoods. But, the Fuji served me great and I was thinking of a new bike so that I could give the old one to my son. I looked into the idea of a "plush geometry", which seemed to fit the bill as I am older and not a regular rider. I checked out the bike at a regional bike expo in Philadelphia and spoke with the Kestrel reps. Sitting on the bike felt very good.Fuji is the same company as Kestrel, Advance Sports in Philadelphia. My Performance store in Montgomeryville, PA is my LBS. So, I ordered the bike from them especially because of the discounts and points. I ended up with a great deal at [$], plus double points.I need to get used to the ride. Even with a taller head tube, I noticed that the handling is very quick as the bike's wheelbase is shorter than the Fuji's. I sit more upright and comfortably. I look forward to longer rides which is why I got the Kestrel's geometry.Fit and finish are very good. Taiwanese manufactured frame. Nice internal cable routing. The store had to shorten up the rear brake cable so that it would not rub my left thigh. [...]I do not believe that you have to shop at the little store for the Treks, Specializeds, Scotts or Felts of this world. If you look close, the Kestrel's geometry is not far off its competitor's. Check it out I would recommend.

Purchased At:   Performance