Kestrel RT-1000 Road Bike

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Kestrel RT 1000 105: Lightweight Comfort and Speed The Kestrel RT 1000 features an endurance geometry giving the rider a more upright and comfortable position for more efficiency and sustainability during high mileage rides. At the core...

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2016

Strengths:    Fairly light, smooth on rough pavement, great geometry, great up hills, good down hills, good feedback, great tires. Smooth shifts. Very good bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Seat is awful.

Bottom Line:
I started riding seriously in 2012. I used two mid 80s Schwinn 12 speeds as my rides doing 18,000 miles in that time. I finally took the plunge and bought an all carbon bike. I am the kind of person who does major research over a long time before I make my choice. I was no different before I chose the 2015 Kestrel RT1000/105. I like Treks, but they are way over priced. Now, because this was my first carbon bike I don't have a lot to compare, but this Kestrel RT1000 is really, really nice. It has made the world of difference when riding all the miles I ride in a year. I'm coming up to my anniversary of owning this bike and I have never regretted it. I keep thanking my wife for allowing me to purchase it! I've heard that Oval wheels have a bad rap for getting out of true, but my wheels are still perfect after 5000 miles! The standard tires have lasted as well, but I will change soon for the new season. I will buy the same kind. Speaking of the tires they are sure-footed, grippy, yet roll with ease. The only downside to this bike is the seat. It is horrible! But, there are plenty of good, comfortable choices out there. Considering all that you get: fairly lightweight all-carbon frame, good wheels, great tires, Shimano 105 group set, good-looking color scheme and this comes all at a great price-point! Highly recommend!!

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock set-up, minus a new, better seat.

Submitted by Sedu

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2014

Strengths:    Solid design handles rough roads well. Climbs well. Attractive design.

Weaknesses:    Does not descend well. Wheelset is heavy.

Bottom Line:
I'm an intermediate cyclist. I do a lot of regional fondos, weekend group rides, etc. I'm a 40 y/o runner who started cycling as my knees and flat feet began to grow more and more bothering. With that said, i have not been a roadie all my life. My first bike was a Fuji Roubaix which i still own and love to ride. I upgraded to the Kestrel because I wanted a lighter stiffer frame and that's pretty much what i have. The roubaix is an aluminum frame with a race geometry, whereas the RT is carbon with a more upright desgin.

If you are looking to upgrade from aluminum to carbon, you'll notice a difference not so much in lightness (although it is lighter), but more so in less vibration and road noise. The best word i can used to describe this bike is solid. The well built and sturdy frame dampens road noise quite well.

I've put in over 3000 miles after having it for less than a year and i enjoy it. I have the 2014 105 and in hindsight should have waited and purchased the ultegra as i'm looking ot upgrade now.

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2014

Strengths:    Light, stiff, excellent on flats, strong climber, a lot of giddy up. I am 225 lbs and feels great, better than Cervelo RS. At under $1700 for carbon bike with ultegra group, this is a great value!

Weaknesses:    Standard wheelset was heavy, I upgraded to Campy Shamal Ultras. Saddle was unusable and was replaced. Otherwise a great build out of the box!

Bottom Line:
As soon as I clipped in I could feel this is a solid platform, but spinning up to speed quickly really got my attention much easier to maintain at 20mph+ than previous bike which was Cervelo RS, which I sold due to fit issues. The slightly uptight geometry and smooth ride are a delight to this 58 yo cyclist.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo RS

Submitted by Millhaus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Amazingly comfortable without giving up much at all

Weaknesses:    the slightly relaxed geometry makes climbing slower than on a race geometry frame

Bottom Line:
I have to say I am amazed at the way this frame rides. I find myself riding faster for longer on the flats on this bike than my Fuji SL1. It does not climb as fast as the SL1 but descending and going the distance this bike is the ticket! I know we all are not supposed to be into looks but the carbon on this bike, the shape of the tubes etc is just beautiful! it is like a work of art, comfortable and smooth. If you are looking for a great bike that does it all and is different than everyone elses treks & cannondale, this is the bike for you!

Similar Products Used:   Fuji SL1 Shimano

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/105

Submitted by Kid Canada a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is stiff
Cornering
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Oval Wheelset

Bottom Line:
I don't have alot to compare this bike to as all my previous bikes were mountain bikes, but my experience has been mostly great. It was like going from driving a dump truck to jumping into a corvette. Mine came with the 105 groupset from front to back.

Once I got used to the Kestrel I just loved the feel. Smooth ride and corners very well. I don't have a lot of hills but I managed to max out at 51kph at the bottom of one of the small hills I do have. I never once felt like the bike was going to come out from under me and was trying to get even more speed out of it. The frame is stiff (and I am a bigger rider at 6'3” and 240lbs) and responds well to when I put power into the wheels. Even in the high winds it still performs very nicely, I just wish I could say the same.

The only weakness I found was the Oval wheelset. This may have been partly my fault as I was used to putting a lot of torque into the pedals on mountain bikes but road bikes are not big fans of that. I had the back wheel trued up twice in the fall as it kept going out of round. Now I have learned to not “mash” the pedals and the wheels finished the year up fine. I have alreasy upgraded the wheels for the coming year and look forward to getting back out there.

Purchased At:   BikedoctorUSA