Kestrel RT-1000 Road Bike

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Kestrel RT 1000 105: Lightweight Comfort and Speed The Kestrel RT 1000 features an endurance geometry giving the rider a more upright and comfortable position for more efficiency and sustainability during high mileage rides. At the core...

Submitted by Sedu

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2014

Strengths:    Solid design handles rough roads well. Climbs well. Attractive design.

Weaknesses:    Does not descend well. Wheelset is heavy.

Bottom Line:
I'm an intermediate cyclist. I do a lot of regional fondos, weekend group rides, etc. I'm a 40 y/o runner who started cycling as my knees and flat feet began to grow more and more bothering. With that said, i have not been a roadie all my life. My first bike was a Fuji Roubaix which i still own and love to ride. I upgraded to the Kestrel because I wanted a lighter stiffer frame and that's pretty much what i have. The roubaix is an aluminum frame with a race geometry, whereas the RT is carbon with a more upright desgin.

If you are looking to upgrade from aluminum to carbon, you'll notice a difference not so much in lightness (although it is lighter), but more so in less vibration and road noise. The best word i can used to describe this bike is solid. The well built and sturdy frame dampens road noise quite well.

I've put in over 3000 miles after having it for less than a year and i enjoy it. I have the 2014 105 and in hindsight should have waited and purchased the ultegra as i'm looking ot upgrade now.

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2014

Strengths:    Light, stiff, excellent on flats, strong climber, a lot of giddy up. I am 225 lbs and feels great, better than Cervelo RS. At under $1700 for carbon bike with ultegra group, this is a great value!

Weaknesses:    Standard wheelset was heavy, I upgraded to Campy Shamal Ultras. Saddle was unusable and was replaced. Otherwise a great build out of the box!

Bottom Line:
As soon as I clipped in I could feel this is a solid platform, but spinning up to speed quickly really got my attention much easier to maintain at 20mph+ than previous bike which was Cervelo RS, which I sold due to fit issues. The slightly uptight geometry and smooth ride are a delight to this 58 yo cyclist.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo RS

Submitted by Millhaus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Amazingly comfortable without giving up much at all

Weaknesses:    the slightly relaxed geometry makes climbing slower than on a race geometry frame

Bottom Line:
I have to say I am amazed at the way this frame rides. I find myself riding faster for longer on the flats on this bike than my Fuji SL1. It does not climb as fast as the SL1 but descending and going the distance this bike is the ticket! I know we all are not supposed to be into looks but the carbon on this bike, the shape of the tubes etc is just beautiful! it is like a work of art, comfortable and smooth. If you are looking for a great bike that does it all and is different than everyone elses treks & cannondale, this is the bike for you!

Similar Products Used:   Fuji SL1 Shimano

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/105

Submitted by Kid Canada a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is stiff
Cornering
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Oval Wheelset

Bottom Line:
I don't have alot to compare this bike to as all my previous bikes were mountain bikes, but my experience has been mostly great. It was like going from driving a dump truck to jumping into a corvette. Mine came with the 105 groupset from front to back.

Once I got used to the Kestrel I just loved the feel. Smooth ride and corners very well. I don't have a lot of hills but I managed to max out at 51kph at the bottom of one of the small hills I do have. I never once felt like the bike was going to come out from under me and was trying to get even more speed out of it. The frame is stiff (and I am a bigger rider at 6'3” and 240lbs) and responds well to when I put power into the wheels. Even in the high winds it still performs very nicely, I just wish I could say the same.

The only weakness I found was the Oval wheelset. This may have been partly my fault as I was used to putting a lot of torque into the pedals on mountain bikes but road bikes are not big fans of that. I had the back wheel trued up twice in the fall as it kept going out of round. Now I have learned to not “mash” the pedals and the wheels finished the year up fine. I have alreasy upgraded the wheels for the coming year and look forward to getting back out there.

Purchased At:   BikedoctorUSA

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105

Submitted by Tiger094

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, well built, light but stiff frame, corners well for a comfort specd bike.

Weaknesses:    steer tube long, head tube could have been higher for a better look and less spacers. Can only use a Kestrel seat tube. Seat is hard

Bottom Line:
Wow is all I can say. This bike came with a real 105 group not the mix and match one other manufactures are selling. The quality is high, not only in the component selection but the frame looks and feels quality. I wanted a more relaxed ride than my Cannondale offered and rode a synapse but didnt feel like I was in a more relaxed position. I tried a few bikes and talked to people and almost thought a used Trek was all I could get, a new one was out of the question do to overly priced Treks. I found this bike in my search and checked the geometry and called a few dealers about the ride. There werent many reviews online so I was naturally hesitant. I took the plunge and am glad I did. The bike arrived professionally packed and partially assembled. I finshed the assembly and changed the seat and stem right away. The seat was very hard and uncomfortable. Shouldnt a comfort bike have a comfort saddle? The stem is 110 and was a little too long for me. Luckily I had a 75mm one in my parts bin and that finished the intial buid. I have never owned a compact and am adjusting to the new setup. After a few rides I can honestly say the bike is a big upgrade in comfort compared to my Cannondale and other bikes I had ridden. Even with the relaxed riding position the RT1000 corners nicely with the front end feeling planted. Though not as much of a carver as the standard fit bikes, the RT 1000 doesnt give up much and makes up for a surpasses others in overall ride. This is my first full carbon bike and I would say it feels very stiff, though the bumps seem to be absorbed with no jolts to the rider. The Kestrel rolls nicely and Oval has done a good job on their wheels. After setting up the shifters, shifting is crisp and accurate. Kestrel shows up the competition big time here by using almost the full 105 group. Other manufactures are only using 105 shifters and derailleurs but charging more $$$. I have noticed that this bike likes to go and gets up to speed quick. Part of this must be due to the low weight of 16.8 lbs and the rest accredited to a well thought out frame design. The seat post is kind of weird to us mortals, its wedge shaped and has a funky 2 bolt adjustment system that had me wanting a little longer front screw. However the front screw appears to be a specialty item. After careful adjustment I was able to get the angle that was comfortable. I havent done more than a 20 mile ride yet but know I will be able to ride further without the discomfort normally associated with road bikes. Now to see if I can be happy with a compact.......vs a triple.