Kestrel Talon Road Bike

4.48/5 (23 Reviews)

• Store Price

Kestrel Talon 105 Road Bike: Aerodynamic and Efficient Out on the road, the enemy of speed is aerodynamic drag. Whether you are drilling it on a lone country road or going cross eyed in a paceline, you will feel the benefit of Kestrel's a...

Submitted by Will Alston

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable in the saddle, descends like a it's namesake, stiff when it needs to be. On the flats speed is just a stroke away. People love the black and red color scheme.

Weaknesses:    Sizing leaves something to be desired. Had to change the stem to get comfortable in the drops.

Bottom Line:
Came with Shimano 105 grouppo, but recently upgraded to Sram Red. What a drop in weight. I went from 18.75 lbs to around 15.75 lbs. When the road is flat this is my bike of choice. On descends, people are surprised when I blow past them about 10mph. On the flats, in a group, I am usually about one or two gears lower. Who should buy this: People that to stand out when they pull to the line. You will received second looks and compliments. People are part of the herd should avoid this bike because youi will not blend in with the pack.

Favorite Ride:   50 mile loop near home

Purchased At:   Baltimore shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 120, Opera Il Carnova

Bike Setup:   Sram Red shifters, Sram Red rear derailleur, Sram Force front derailleur, Sram Red brakes, Sram Red 52/36 crankset, Mavic Helium wheelset with Sram Red 11-28 cassette, Bontager RXL saddle

Submitted by bike hog a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2012

Strengths:    Very polished, rides true. Came in just under 20 lbs including pedals with the 105 groupset. For the 2013 model, Oval 327 wheels are much improved over Oval 524's from prior year. Smooth shifting, good looking. 2013 color is white on black. Over 250 miles, no issues. My review is for the road version. 2013 version has the blended carbon of 700K & 800K. Previous year version was 700k carbon only.

Weaknesses:    Upgraded the brake calipers to the 105's. No other upgrades require, will bring in higher end componentry over time.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level full carbon bike at very modest entry level MSRP of $1449. Discounts are available , especially if you order early. It's hard for me to imagine a better value for the money currently available. Note : Ths for the 2013 version, drop down did not permit me to select 2013. Cyclefitters includes a professional fit in their purchase price.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Purchased At:   Cyclefitters, Easton

Bike Setup:
Sizes 48cm, 52cm, 55cm, 57cm, 60cm
Color(S)
Main Frame Blend of 700K & 800K High Modulus Carbon Fiber
Rear Triangle 700K Carbon Fiber With Replaceable Derailleur Hanger
Fork EMS Pro SL Aero, Full Carbon, 1 1/8" - 1 1/4” Tapered Steerer
Crankset Oval Concepts 730 Alloy Compact 50/34T (48cm, 52cm: 170mm; 55cm, 57cm: 172.5mm; 60cm: 175mm)
Bottom Bracket Oval Concepts Integrated, External Bearings
Tires Hutchinson Equinox 700 x 23c Folding
Brake Set Tektro Dual Pivot
Brake Levers Shimano 105
Headset FSA Integrated, 1 1/8" Top, 1 1/4" Bottom with 15mm Top Cover
Handlebar Oval Concepts 310 6061 Alloy, Ergonomic Fit (48cm, 52cm: 40cm; 55cm, 57cm: 42cm; 60cm 44cm
Stem Oval Concepts 313 6061 3D-forged Alloy, 31.8mm +/- 6 degrees (48cm, 52cm: 90mm; 55cm: 100mm; 57cm, 60cm: 120mm)
Tape/Grip Kestrel Suede Tape
Saddle Oval Concepts 500 w Cr/Mo Rails
Seat Post Kestrel EMS Pro w/ Ritchey Clamp System

Submitted by Grok a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2012

Strengths:    1. Straight-line aerodynamics. Yes, this bike is very fast on the flats and gentle rollers.
2. Cornering. Not a crit bike for sure, but carving down a mountain pass at 55mph it is steady & will go where you point it--thankfully!
3. Solid "feeling" bike. Inspires confidence.
4. Steady handling. Likes to go straight, so feel free to sit up and say, "look ma, no hands."
5. Dressed up right, a very sexy bike.
6. Neither strength nor weakness, it has pretty average power-transfer. Depends on what you're comparing it too.

Weaknesses:    1. Durability. The Talon on made it 3500 miles & 100,000 feet of climbing. The first 2000 miles were great. The next 1500 were Hell. I now know that micro-cracks were beginning to form inside the seat tube, allowing the seat post to slip down. The longer I rode it, the more cracks, the worse the slippage became. And yes, I actually use a torque wrench.
2. Advanced Sports now owns Kestrel. The lifetime frame warranty is now a huge pain. It took 4 warranties & over a year before finally getting them to replace the frame. They sent me a new binder bolt--useless. They sent me washers to space out the binder bolt, thinking I wasn't getting enough torque. Useless. Now I know that micro-cracking is a known issue to them...they just hope that the warranty process becomes so frustrating that you just buy another bike--maybe a Fuji (another one of their brands.) Customer service is very poor and, at least in my town (of 1,000,000 people), no one carries Kestrel anymore. That should tell you something...when no one in a city this big and this cyclist friendly, with well over 2 dozen shops, will carry Kestrel, things have gotten pretty bad. Will Kestrel even be around in 10 years?
3. The bike is a bit heavy, even for an aero bike. But then again, a pound shouldn't really matter if the bike is used as it is meant to be used--to slice through the wind (not to climb, not to constantly re-accelerate).
4. Great descender, not such a great climber, but again, that's not it's purpose.

Bottom Line:
"Reviews" of bikes that you've just bought are not reviews, they are initial impressions, and as such are useless to the consumer looking for objective information in order to make a wise choice. Just sharing how great your NEW bike is or feels doesn't help others, which is the purpose of a review. In fact, the word review implies that you're looking back on something you've had for a while. For long enough to fairly judge the product impartially.

My review is of the 06 Kestrel Talon, built as a road bike with DA7800 & various wheelsets, depending on the event. I've road raced, climbed plenty of mountains with it, done numerous centuries, and two 200k brevets on this bike. I have several bikes, however, so the miles are spread out over time.

From other 'reviews' I've read, let me say this: it all depends on where you're coming from. From any aluminum bike, the Talon will feel smooth as though it just eats up the bumps. From a higher-end frame, however, the Talon is extremely harsh. Same thing with power transfer. Same with weight. Though heavy by today's standards, it's not actually 'heavy' and will feel feather light compared to most AL bikes. But again, it will feel heavy if you've ridden--I mean many miles--on a higher end carbon bike. So when you test ride bikes, keep in mind what you're comparing the bike to, and what you SHOULD be comparing the bike to. You should compare the bike to what you want to do with it, not to your old ride.

That said, the conversation on geometry is pretty cut & dry. No, this bike is NOT made for long days in the saddle. Can you do it? Yes. I've done it many times. But if your goals include longer rides (like centuries and brevets of 2,3,600k, etc), then this is NOT the bike for you. It's also too heavy to be a truly competitive road racer, nor does it handle or accelerate quickly enough for crits. If you like TTs, triathlons, longer road races where the pack opens up, the course is relatively flat, and sprinting is nill, then this IS a bike that would work. It's all in the geometry. A 10-11cm head tube = shorter rides with a stronger core. A taller head tube, even a couple centimeters, allows for a more comfortable position on the bike = longer rides. Even a lot of pro teams are going to slightly 'relaxed' geometries. Research is showing what common sense should have told us, that comfort allows for longer durations of power output. The most aero position (i.e. short head tube) increases fatigue, reducing duration of power maintenance. In English, the longer you stay scrunched up, the short the distance you can cover, despite being more aero. So ride the Talon happily on your shorter rides. Race it if you want to. For the money, if they've fixed the seat tube problem, it is a good value. But don't expect to finish a 110 mile road race or even ride and NOT be crying for your chiropractor or massage therapist.

But whoever said that this bike was being considered for RAAM is beyond hopeless. Did he mean the RT1000 with a 16cm headtube (as opposed to a 10-11cm Talon). Then yes. That bike was designed to be comfortable and ridden for hundreds of miles at a time. I've heard the RT1000 was ridden by team 4mil in the 2011 RAAM, tho I'm not sure. But people don't ride the Talon long distances unless they have too (say, riding Ironman on a shoestring budget). Or unless they have something masochistic to prove--like me--as in, I know it's uncomfortable but I can still do it!

In the next few weeks I'll be getting a new Talon frame (free warranty after trying for over a year), probably a 2011 model if I judge the new company correctly. Hopefully the durability will have improved, but it will be quite some time before I'll be able to speak to that. In the mean time, I'll happily ride my heavy steel Surly or my flyweight comfy SuperSix. The Talon will take it's place as a backup bike, or one to use occasionally just to mix things up.

I hope this review is more useful than the initial impressions given by new owners. And in case you're wondering, yes, I used to sell bikes (including Kestrels, back when they were actually Kestrel), so I have a lot to say on the matter. Now I coach endurance riders, so, I have even more to say about the importance of FIT and of buying a bike that meets your needs/ambitions rather than ego or simply because it's so much better than your last bike.

Keep the rubber side down!

Cheers,

Grok.

Similar Products Used:   Similar? I've put thousands of miles on: Schwinn Paramount, C'dale CAAD5, Surly Cross-Check, Fuji Cross, C'dale SuperSix. I've reviewed/test ridden 50+ miles: C'dale Synapse, SuperSix Evo, Fuji SST3, Specialized Roubaix, Tarmac.

Bike Setup:   The Talon had Dura Ace 7800 and usually Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, weighed in at ~19#. Sometimes rode Aerospoke wheels which are very heavy but also bombproof, super aero, and, well, sexy. Their weight made them great training wheels as well as racing wheels on flat-ish courses. Longer to spin up, but the momentum completely flattens smaller undulations in terrain.

Submitted by Travis a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2008 model as a clearance model at TriSports.com. I took the bike in for a tune up and they found a chip in the rear seat post where the seat rests against the frame. After attempting to repair the bike with advice from Kestrel, the bike was replaced. Other than this possible design defect I love the bike. It is responsive, light, and fast. I used it in my first sprint tri a couple of months ago and it performed great.

Purchased At:   TriSports.com

Submitted by tmorgan21 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    looks
stiffness
smooth ride
responsiveness

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
I had looked for weeks for a solid, name brand carbon bike and was mostly frustrated because most were out of my price range. I knew about Kestrel and was directed by a friend to bikesdirect.com. I did some homework and decided on the 2008 Talon. What a great decision! I have only had the bike for approx. a month but I couldn't be happier. The bike is stiff and smooth and I have described the ride to people as "riding on buttered air." I did upgrade the wheels to the Rol Volant's, which are amazing and made the bike that much better. I am 6'4" and 210 lbs. and this bike handles very well up and down hills and flies on the flats. And on top of this I get a lot of compliments on how good the bike looks.

Favorite Ride:   any canyon in SLC

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   2008 Kestrel Talon
Shimano Ultegra SL
Rol Volant wheels

Most Talon 1K bars

For those of you that have the Dogma 65.1 and the talon bars. Is there still two threaded holes underneath the stem. I have a Dogma 65.1 that was built for the Lapina Grand fondo and my bars have the theaded inserts, but my friend seems to think that the newer models do not. Looking to get a u ... Read More »

ROL racing SL vs Hawk Talon SF12

Want to change out my stock wheels on my Tarmac. stuck between the ROL SLs and the Hawk Racing SF12, suddenly a big fan of Hawk having replaced my BB with a Hawk and cant believe the increase speed on bridge/hill climbs. Reside in Florida, mostly flat rides with coastal winds 8-15knts, so any advan ... Read More »

Kestrel Talon Road, any opinions?

seems like a pretty good deal for an all carbon road bike with 105 group set. I can get it for a decent price locally too. I was just wondering if anyone has any long term experience with this bike. I'm new to road biking and wanted something a little faster and lighter than my MTB to ride on the st ... Read More »

Fit question with the 2013 Kestrel Talon Road bike.

Hi all, I'm a new member here and a reborn road biker currently on a junker bike that wants to have a decent ride to train on and use in some olympic tri's. I've seen some good reviews of the 2013 Kestrel Talon as a great road/tri crossover type bike. I'm thinking of getting the road setup with c ... Read More »

2011 Kestrel Talon Race Legal?

So, I know that there are a couple thread on the net about the Talon and its legality in races. I was just wondering if the 2011 Talon was race legal. I understand that some say that people won't be paying attention to your bike in the more novice levels of racing, but I'd really like to just get ... Read More »