KHS Inc. Flite 220 Road Bike

• Tires: Kenda Kontender 700X26C
  • Spokes: 14G Stainless 32°

Submitted by Geoff Faber a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is strong

Weaknesses:    Stock Crank bent it in 3 weeks

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for about 2 years now its is a decent commuter bike, i had a 1978 steel frame before this and there was a big difference.
I am a big guy 6'8" and 290lbs
I ride the bike about 30 miles a day the frame does fine i have had to change out about everypart with the exception of shifters and brakes.

I have been given alot of hand me down parts from higher end bikes, but even at my size its not that bad of a ride

Favorite Ride:   Commute to work

Bike Setup:   2300 Crank Shifter and cassett
mavic open pro Rims with 105 Hubs
gatorskin 700x25c t

Submitted by Stacey a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Pretty fast
Gear shifters are good for the bike

Weaknesses:    heavy
pedals stink - must replace

Bottom Line:
I am a beginner triathlete (sprint distance) and I needed a bike but didn't want to get crazy just yet. This bike works very well on Colorado hills. Of course there are better bikes out there, but I didn't want to spend the money on something I wasn't sure I would like. The bike is well made. It is good for a beginner or someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

Purchased At:   Recycled Cycles

Submitted by cterp09 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    It's a fast bike! The components are okay and it's very easy and smooth to shift gears. It's also a relatively light bike, and having 3 chainrings makes hills a bit easier. I haven't had a flat yet (knock on wood) and commute 20-40 miles per week.

You can make any bike you get the most comfortable one you've ever ridden by inflating the tires to the proper pressure (not to the numbers on the tires since that is the maximum pressure they can handle), and adjusting the bike's geometry to fit you.

Weaknesses:    The saddle that comes with it is a torture device, but that goes for most stock seats. The first thing to break on my bike was the seat post clamp while I was adjusting the saddle height. It is a piece of junk and should be replaced with a good clamp.

Also, the wheels are not of the best quality. If the road surfaces you ride on aren't completely smooth you might want to invest in better wheels.

Bottom Line:
It is a great first road bike, especially for the price. It is definitely not a racing bike, but you can make it an awesome bike by switching out the components for better ones as you improve. I use it mostly as a commuter bike, and have had almost no problems with it.

Bike Setup:   clipless pedals, angled brake hoods in a bit, a comfortable gel saddle, changed stem angle

Submitted by James a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2010

Strengths:    climbing, comfortable

Weaknesses:    comes with crappy pedals but i replaced with clipless anyway

Bottom Line:
Awesome Training bike rode it for 2500 miles this season and it held up amazing not a single problem.
I read a lot of reviews about people saying they got constant flats and they fixed that from the 08 model up now the spokes don't poke the tubes over bumps and have rim tape over them anyway.

I'd recommend it to anybody just make you you get the triple bar version and not the flat bar version they originally sent me the flat bar by mistake.

Favorite Ride:   KHS Flite 220

Purchased At:   Valley bicycles

Submitted by notredame232 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    It's cheap.
It looks pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    Where to begin...
I have had a lot of problems with it.
The main one would be constant flats.
The spoke pokes through and puts a hole in the tube. The wheels are garbage.
It's very heavy.
It doesn't handle very well.
Stock shifters aren't that great.

Bottom Line:
It's an entry level bike. Don't buy it if you are looking to win races. I bought it as an entry level triathlete, threw some aero bars on it, and got some clipless pedals. 21 speed bike. It works but it's not the best.

Favorite Ride:   KHS Flite 220

Purchased At:   Carmel Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Nothing very similar to this bike.

Bike Setup:   Bike+aero bars+clipless pedals+new shifters

KHS Flite 220: 2010 vs 2011 model

After a couple years of planning, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a new road bike and I've narrowed it down to the KHS Flite 220. The problem is that my LBS doesn't have any 2011 models in stock but has a 2010 that is slightly discounted. So, here's my question: What is the diffe ... Read More »