Kona Zing Supreme Road Bike

Fork: Dedacciai HF Race w/Black Blades
Color: Dark Grey & Black

Submitted by Marcos_E a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    + Good Ride: The carbon stays and fork really do a great job of eating up the road vibrations.
+ Handling: The angles on the frame make it so the bike has excellent cornering abilities and it can hold a line pretty well, it's by no means a freight train, but you don't have to fight it.
+ Sex Appeal: The colors and curved stays are hot. No denying.
+ Cost-to-Performance Ratio: This is an excellent starter frame and will turn into a fantastic trainer, should I upgrade and up grades.

Weaknesses:    - Weight: This is quite literally my only caveat with this frameset, but in return the ride definitely feels more stable and secure.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the frame, as I built it up from the frameset I purchased on eBay.

I'll do my best to leave the review to the frame and not on my part selection.

I purchased this frame to act as my utility race frame, everything from hills to TT's.

Favorite Ride:   Bellevue-Hailey Broadford Road

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Kona Zing Supreme
Campy Centaur
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL

Submitted by Alex a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2007

Strengths:    "What-U-Get" vs "What-U-Pay for"! Kona is an off-road bike company......but they make a nice road bike too!

Weaknesses:    Like most road bikes below $4000.....the seat sux. I did change out the FSA alum Wing-Bars & stem and replaced them with FSA carbon seta post & bars. This lighten ups the bike a & gave it s sweet ride. Frames do "fit" a little small. Try before you buy!

Bottom Line:
Wow!....where to begin. Scandium aluminum main-tubes, Carbon forks & stays, FSA carbon cranks, Ultegra 10 spd gruppo,...etc. I know....KONA makes Mountain Bikes, but they make damn good road bike too.....like Specialized, Trek, Bianchi, Cannondale.....Okay, maybe not Clanker-dale. Hard to beat....for any Ultegra equped bike under $3000.

Favorite Ride:   Cobb-Paulding-Cobb Loop

Purchased At:   Bicycle-Jones

Similar Products Used:   Scott Speedster S2,Pinarello, Orbea, any Aluminum / Carbon mixed frames.

Bike Setup:   Scandium aluminum main tubes, Carbon forks & stays. Ultegra 10spd gruppo, Mavic Aksium Race wheels, FSA carbon crankset, FSA Wing-Bars & aliminum seatpost.

Submitted by Lincoln Lu a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    Bike is actually Italian, using a full Dedaccai frame.
Carbon cranks.
Excellent Saddle, SLR would be lighter, but the Filante that comes with the bike is just as comfortable.
Color rocks!
Unbeatably cheap retail price.

Weaknesses:    Its heavy, but lighter than most bikes at this price, and a lot of weight can be shaved by going to carbon bar/stem, and seat post for not a lot of money.

Bottom Line:
I was shopping for a new road bike, and wanted to jump to a full Carbon, which is what the Zing Deluxe and higher is for 2007. Was planning on getting the Deluxe, but was offered the Supreme at a slightly cheaper price, and went with it. And from riding everyday since I've gotten this bike, I have to say its been amazing! I love the smoothness and response of the almost full Ultegra gruppo, but I think Kona made the right choice by going with the FSA SLK carbon cranks. The Kysrium Equipe wheels are relatively inexpensive, and works wonders in Crits, but kinda suck in really windy rides. The bike is a little bit heavier, as it comes with alloy bar, stem and seat post, but those are relatively inexpensive upgrades, which could drop the bike to below 17 pounds for my size 53.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere!

Purchased At:   Doug's Spoke N' Spor

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000.
A bunch of different carbon bikes test ridden when shopping around last year.

Bike Setup:   Full Carbon frame w/ carbon forks and carbon steer-tube
Ksyrium Equipe Wheels
Ultegra gruppo with FSA SLK carbon Cranks (MegaExo 53/39)
Selle Italia Filante SE saddle
FSA OS-150 Stem and FSA Wing Bar

Submitted by Peen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Very Stable, Carbon Rear End.
Veloce set-up
Frame Geometry
Kona Quality

Weaknesses:    Weight (atleast that is what I am told)

Bottom Line:
The Zing Supreme is actually a 2006 bike frame. I found a killer deal on it so I decided to give the bike a try. From day 1 I have been very impressed.

Until I bought this bike I was unaware Kona had a road bike line. I have been around Kona Mtn bikes for years and they are all built like tanks. I wasn't sure what to expect with a road bike.

The frame it turns out is comfortable and very stiff. The carbon fork and rear end do soften the ride. I love the way it climbs, very responsive/fast. The compact frame design is excellent for my body and with the right stem is great fit.

My riding is mostly commuting to work and extended rides on the weekends. Thus far I have had no discomforts with the bike. If you are a racer, and worried about weight, I would stay away. Kona being a Mtn Bike company by trade built an extremely sturdy frame. If you are looking for a bike that should last several years and offers a very comfortable ride I would definately check out this the Zing line.