LeMond Bicycles Etape Road Bike

Wheels: Alloy Hubs/Alex AT450 Rims
Group:Shimano Tiagra/Sora

Submitted by Pat Thompson

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight & very quick

Weaknesses:    The wheels supplied go out of tune fairly rapidly so i changed them for Shimano .otherwise a great value buy.

Bottom Line:
A great entry level bike. Very light and smooth very fast . Best value i have ever had the pleasure of purchasing.

Submitted by Chris a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Strengths:    Good looks
Comfortable ride
Stable handling

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels and components very heavy
Finicky shifting from low end parts

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike with the intention of doing some triathlons but fell in love with cycling instead. I have around 4000kms on this bike and while I really like the frame, the low end components are a drag, and I plan to upgrade the wheels and drive train.

The mixed low-end Shimano group requires fairly frequent adjustment to keep the chain rubbing too much and the Bontrager crankset flexes noticeably under hard efforts up hill.

That said, I find the ride comfortable, and the bike is stable on fast 80km/h descents and turns reasonably well. I've ridden a few other lower end bikes and wouldn't trade my Lemond for any of them.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1200

Bike Setup:   ST-2200 shifters (8-speed); Tiagra RD; Sora FD; Bontrager triple crank

Submitted by Etniesarto a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Strengths:    Carbon forks, very light, great value

Weaknesses:    Original seat

Bottom Line:
I have recently bought a lemond etape and it is great. Much better than it's closest rival (trek 1000) which I have previously owned. The lemond etape is a great entry level bike for a great price.

Favorite Ride:   Lemond etape

Purchased At:   Gumtree.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000

Submitted by snydogg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    I love LeMonds frame design; very efficient and surprisingly light. Having carbon forks and seatpost is awesome considering the price. Very comfortable bike.

Weaknesses:    The position of the shifters isnt so good considering being in the drops. Wheels are a bit overweight as lots of weight can be shed there.

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike and I must say it is awesome. My first season of riding I participated in RAGBRAI and absolutley loved this bike. I have received so many compliments on the bike and I have really gotten into road biking since with friends. I definitely recommend this bike for newcomers!

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI and Door County, WI

Purchased At:   Jerry and Sparky's i

Similar Products Used:   Trek equivalent

Bike Setup:   Stock 57cm, saddle upgrade, eggbeaters

Submitted by greenhead357 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2008

Strengths:    price, relatively quick, light for the price, stable, and comfortable

Weaknesses:    saddle, thumb shifter is annoying, front derailleur

Bottom Line:
The Etape, like many other reviewers, was my first road bike. For the price it is a great bike to start on. I found this bike to be comfortable, stable (even on rapid (45+ mph) descents), fun to ride, very reliable, relatively quick, surprisingly light, and fun to ride. Has a stiff bottom bracket, good geometry, and is very responsive. I now have 2500+ miles on mine and it's still pulling strong.

I would recommend this bike to anyone getting into road riding because it is a quality bike without the sticker shock associated with some other bikes. The Shimano grouppo is precise, reliable and mechanically very sound, however mine does need frequent adjustments and the front derailleur is aggravating. However if you know you're going to ride thousands of miles a season, spring for a bike with higher level components, if you don't you'll be buying them later and putting them on the Etape. To keep the price down Lemond used lower end components (I didn't say cheap components just not SRAM Red / Dura Ace quality, or price) which wear out faster and are heavier. These components are perfectly acceptable but if you just totalled your Pinarello Prince this might not be the bike for you. Finally, if you don't like riding this bike you won't like any road bike and you saved youself some $$$.

I did upgrade the saddle and it was a big benefit. I also put on a Mavic wheel set which was huge, making the bike much lighter, faster, and laser straight. Going with the eggbeaters vs. strap on peddles was also a big help.

My main complaints are the stock saddle, thumb shifters, and the front derailleur. The thumb shifters are annoying and inconvenient but have been reliable and mechanically I have no complaints, I just don't like not being able to shift from the drops. The front derailleur only makes 3 of the 4 shifts; I've adjusted it, the bike shop has adjusted it several times and it never works right.

Overall a great bike for the money, I recommend it to anyone genuinely interested in cycling, if you buy this bike you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI