LeMond Bicycles Nevada City Road Bike

Pedals: aluminum w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 25c Bontrager Select

Submitted by kerksieck a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    price, frame, fit, looks

Weaknesses:    wheels (cheap, machine-made but that can be said of nearly all stock bikes), saddle, handlebars (wrong size for stem, felt too wide), no enough room for full fenders.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike in all weather for just about everything a road bike can be used for: This bike is my car. I probably put about 100 miles a week on it.
Overall, I am very happy with it. The frame geometry is athletic but not twitchy; more comfortable than a pure racing bike but it still feels quick. Plus it looks great.
The components are entry level but they work well and I have had no problems. Besides, the difference between these and 105 is miniscule. To get any significant upgrade, you'd have to spend 5 times as much.
The main weakness is the wheels. I started breaking spokes after after about two years. Even after having them repaired and retrued, the problem continued. I just had some new wheels built and the difference is huge. After riding these, the stock wheels seem sloppy and weak.
As another reviewer noted, the stock handlebars did not fit the stem and would slip. Also, the stock saddle was particularly uncomfortable but these are minor complaints and easy to fix. Finally, there is not enough clearance for full fenders.

Favorite Ride:   Home from work

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Stock drivetrain, Origin 8 handlebars, Brooks B17 saddle, new wheels (105 hubs, mavic 32-hole open sport rims, dt swiss spokes)

Submitted by colin a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    having to get off it to go to work

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to lose weight it has been strapped on the back of my semi truck from alberta canada to florida i have rode this bike from coast to coast whenever i can i now use it for going to work about 30 miles a day had to change the tires kept getting flats and added new pedals other than that this bike has been flawless i love how it responds and has never let me down it has a lot of miles on it, some good dings also have crashed a few time but it just adds to the character everytime i get on it i feel like i could go fo ever i hate getting to work so i have towait 8 hours to get back on it again great bike will take it to the grave.

Favorite Ride:   lemond

Purchased At:   Houston bike lane

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by norman wells a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    Handle bar is very comfortable. The Shimano gear responds extremely tightly. The bike is a very good choice for anybody who's looking for a non-specaliazed, versatile bike. I'd say it's biggest strength is its quality/price comparison.

Weaknesses:    I had a bit of a hard time getting adjusted to the seat... the first few weeks riding the bike, my rear was in pain for the first 10 minutes every time I would get on the bike, but I'm guessing that would've been the case with any seat, me not being used to road bikes. Also, I;ve came very close to crashing on a few occasions while riding in the rain, the stock tires don't seem to work very well in rain. Not a big flaw, though, they can be replaced for better tires for about 60$ Canadian. (comparable to 35-40$ US) Other than that, it's almost impossible to find a new one by now, and Lemond stopped production of the Nevada City in 2006 (I might be wrong, but I think the 2005 Nevada was the only one?). A bit of a disappointment. Maybe another model fits the same niche.

Bottom Line:
Price paid is in Canadian dollars... The bike was actually on sale because it was last year's model. Original price was 1000$!

I was totally out of shape (20 lbs overweight) when I bought this bike. I simply changed my eating habbits to healthier food, whilst not sacrificing quantity. It's been 3 months so far and I've already lost 5 lbs! This bike is completely responsible for my metabolism raise. I love riding the bike so much that I'm enthusiasted whenever I get a chance to go for a big ride. The ride is smooth,l even on my trashed Canadian roads. I realize now, the Canadian dollar being what it is, I paid WAY too much for the bike (should've ordered it from the States!), but I'm still 100% happy with my purchase. Mine came with regular non-clip pedals, that I traded for clip pedals. I find the bike responds very nicely to any type of work... climbing, tight turning, flat, etc. The bike definetly got me hooked to cyclism. I ride it 6 days a week. I'm in my happy place on that bike. My next bike will definetly be another Lemond.

Favorite Ride:   lemond nevada city 2005

Purchased At:   Pignon sur Roues

Similar Products Used:   This is my first ever road bike!

Bike Setup:   I only use the top 4-5 gears and I have a hard time getting on the top one without having the chain rubbing against the front derailer, so I took it off. I'm thinking of changing the back bracket wheel to a smaller, harder one. As I mentionned above , I changed the regular pedals for clip pedals... that was a bit hard to get used to (I crashed 4-5 times on busy streets while being completely stopped... very hard on the ego!). I added one bottle holder and a small pump to the frame... The pump also contains an emergency tire repair kit. Since I go to work with this bike, I also have a lock attached to the frame, which I take off when joy-riding.

Submitted by SpudR a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Strengths:    I never want to get off the bike

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet. The only thing is when you get this bike switch out the stock seat for some other seat. Stock one is very uncomfortable, plus it don't go with the bike

Bottom Line:
This is a very sweet bike to start out with. First road bike, switched over from MTB and I'm loving it. I can ride this bike for a long distance and still want more. Any type of road is good hill, down, flat. I get looks and good comments on the bike from the paint job to the bike itself.

Favorite Ride:   Any road

Purchased At:   Scott's Bike's

Bike Setup:   Shimano everything very nice and a Selle Italia seat. The rest is stock, up grading to a lighter and more expensive bike very soon so I didn't want to go ovre board with the first one.

Submitted by mjluv4u a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2004

Strengths:    carbon fiber fork, stock seat is so very comfy. super stiff frame, lemond geometry cant be beat for tall people. price is insanely low for al/carbon bike!

Weaknesses:    none yet. stock pedals had to go. but at least it came with pedals.

Bottom Line:
this bike is more than i ever hoped for. i paid $600 (550 plus tax) at an lbs, hoping to get something better than the crappy leaderbike that i got on ebay. i was really surprised. i expected an ok ride, heavy, rough riding, but its about the rider, not the rig, right? when i started riding it however, i realized the geometry, with the sloping top tube, was the best fit that i could possibly find. the ride was every bit as good as the trek 5200 that i test rode, and the lemond caused me no numbness in my hands or crotchular area, whereas the trek did. the ride is smooth thanks to 700*25 tires at 100psi, and the frame is stiffer than any ive ever ridden. my scale is always off, but i weighed it several times, and think the 59cm (im 6 foot 3 inches) is about 21-22 pounds with 2 bottle cages and egg beaters on it. it came with clip pedals stock, but those scare me, so off they went. the stem is straight or can point up a few degrees, which is very comfy. this is the first bike that hasnt caused me any pain, and at the same time i cruise around 19-20 mph over 50 miles or so. so it aint slow. havent crashed it yet, but so far but 500 miles on it the first week, and have no complaints in any way. i suppose some ppl will think its heavy, but i think the extra 3 pounds is well worth the $1000 i saved.

Favorite Ride:   athens

Purchased At:   at the hub in athens

Similar Products Used:   trek 5200-17lbs but $2500. leaderbike (735 frame with ultegra) 19 lbs and horrible company, steel bianchi trofeo, awesome '90s bike.

Bike Setup:   stock, with egg beaters. love the egg beaters. love the bike.

2001 Lemond Nevada City Front Derailleur

Does anyone know what the front derailleur size is on a 2001 Lemond Nevada City? Is it bottom pull or top pull?Read More »

More Nevada City Pics

Somebody asked for more pics, happy to oblige, a few random shots, enjoy :D This was during the Womans Pro warm up. The 3 Amigo's just came out of nowhere for a practice lap. Notice Lance and Levi switched wheelsets for the race. [img]http://ns10.reliablehosting.com/~kb11/nc11.jpg[/img] 1s ... Read More »

Inside the Tour of Nevada City

I haven't posted to RBR for years, but thought ya'll might like this. It's geared towards folks who don't know much about road racing. ************************************************************************** At 2am late last Tuesday night, my teammate Duane, the owner of our local bicycle sh ... Read More »

Armstrong wins Nevada City in solo break

WOW! he lapped the field! [url]http://www.velonews.com/article/93695/armstrong-wins-nevada-city-in-solo-break[/url]Read More »

Nevada City Race coverage(?)

Hello, here's a link to possible coverage of today's Nevada City race with Levi, Lance and Horner(?) I went online just now and got the link working, saw their programming schedual with the race coverage coming on at around 4pm, pacific time..according to the schedual they were sending out...Hope i ... Read More »