LeMond Bicycles Versailles Road Bike

4.35/5 (17 Reviews)

FRAME
Sloping geometry True Temper OX Platinum Steel Spine/ OCLV 120 GSM carbon cockpit

FORK
Bontrager Carbon, alloy steerer

WHEEL SET
Bontrager Select wheel system

GRUPPO
Shimano Ultegra

Submitted by James a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, tracks well, responsive (for my light weight), storms up hills and pretty fast on the flat. Has survived a lot of abuse on country roads with big potholes and wheels still true. Shimano group is dependable as always. Cheap!

Weaknesses:    Horrific stock saddle, wheels aren't particually stiff or high-tech looking, finishing kit is a bit low end (but it was a cheap bike). Colour (what colour!) scheme is a bit plain. Tyres are a bit heavy as 25c, but they do soak up the bumps well!

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike after my previous Alu frame decided to snap on the way to work. Got a very good deal (~50% off) as it was last years model. I really like the steel/carbon combo as it is definately smooth on the road and looks pretty cool. Saddle had to go after a week as it was terrible and riduculously uncomfortable, replaced it with a Specialized Toupe Ti which is the best and most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Have done a lot of miles in all conditions (a lot of rain over here!) and is still in near perfect condition after 2+ years, even the wheels are still true. Only down sides I've noticed are the slightly flexy wheels and bontrager finishing kit which has low quality stainless steel bolts which rust instantly! Only other thing is that high speed descents the front end can get a bit of speed wobble, but not that much that it's slowed me down yet. Really like the frame so currently considering a new set of lighter/better wheels to smarten it up a bit.

Favorite Ride:   Round Snowdon.

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Buenos Aires (brother bike, identical frame, better wheels and campy veloce), Orbea First (cheap alu first road bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from Specialized Toupe saddle & Keo carbon pedals.

Submitted by evets a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort, value.

Weaknesses:    Weight, original saddle, tires and wheels and a little soft overall

Bottom Line:
The bike is very comfortable, once you change the saddle, though it is a little long in the top tube for me. I have ridden mine (the steel/carbon mix) for about 10000 miles and still like it very much. It still has most of the original parts, though I upgraded the rear wheel and got much better tires. It is still a little heavy for climbing and a little soft, particularly in the front end, but then it isn't a race bike. For its purpose, it is pretty terrific, and it has lasted really well (and I ride in all kinds of weather including northeast winters). Eventually, I will get a lighter, stiffer bike, but I will save this for long, comfortable rides in inclement weather.

Favorite Ride:   slide mountain pass

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   specialized allez, cannondale super six

Bike Setup:   Stock, thought now the saddle is a fizik arione which is much much better

Submitted by jae a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, stable and responsive. The ride is smooth. The frame just 'feels right.'

Weaknesses:    The stock seat was just not very comfortable. Everything could be slightly lighter, but then you're looking at a $3k+ bike.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this bike. I had considered a new Giant "Alliance" frame but found this as a deal used and have been very happy. This is a very comfortable ride and I suspect for most riders, the bike won't be limiting. It has no lag when you punch it in a sprint and feels very stable on corners.

It's not the lightest bike in the world, but not the heaviest.

Favorite Ride:   Outside on a sunny day

Purchased At:   private used sale

Similar Products Used:   decade+ old Trek 2300.

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ upgraded Ultegra front derailleur, Bontranger 50/34 compact, Race Lite wheels.

Submitted by jcdouglas4 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    Geometry
material mix
cool quiet ride

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavy.
105 componentry could be upgraded.
stickers - Trek should not use stickered logos at this price point!

Bottom Line:
This IS a smoothe bike, but it's also a fast bike. The components are nice, but not high end. It's not light in the world of road bikes, but it is efficient, and unless you are in the single digits on body fat, the weight of this bike will not hinder you. Also, the added comfort gives your body a little more spring late in the ride when attacks are most effective. The factory set-up was a little too agressive with a 120 stem and 46 bar, but the shop swapped them out for me at no charge. I have around 4500 miles on this bike. I've upgraded the cranks to dura ace, changed to an easton stem, and put on a selle saddle. I have considered changing the 25 tires to 23's, but on this bike, there is not a huge incentive to do that. Bontrager race lite wheels are rock solid. I would like to have seen this bike spec'd with all Ultegra instead of just the rear deraileur, but for the money, it's a great mix. Unless you are looking for a serious race bike, this one will do whatever you need it too (climbs well, sprints well, and handles well).

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Magazine

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles - Pelh

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubaix, Scott Speedster

Bike Setup:   Stock except: upgraded crank to D.A., saddle to selle, stem to easton, and tape to cinelli. 105 shifters and front deraileur, ultegra rear, bontrager race lite wheels.

Submitted by willtre a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Ride quality. Fit. Value (I got a killer close-out deal after the Trek/Lemond divorce). Beat out every other bike I tested.

Weaknesses:    Greg Lemond (heh).
I'll be glad when it's time to replace the tires with some better ones.
The seat has way too much padding, but it's not uncomfortable. Someday I'll replace it.

Bottom Line:
I really love this bike. The 62cm fits me perfectly (I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs). It's my first carbon bike. I was intending to go with steel, but fell in love immediately when I test rode it. Takes the sting out of rough roads yet it's not mushy or noticeably flex-y. Climbing out of the saddle is very satisfying...gives you back everything you put into it. Corners and handles great at any speed. Frame material aside, it's the geometry of this bike that is so great. I like the long head tube and laid back seat tube angle. I only have to a use a couple of spacers to make the 'bar height 'just right.' After I replaced the 90mm 17-degree stem with a 120mm 7-degree stem it was perfect.
The bottom bracket and/or cranks creaked for the first couple of months until I finally got fed up and disassembled and re-greased everything. Now it's as solid and silent as a rock. The 105/Ultegra components are a joy to use. Shifting is smooth and positive. All in all a very responsive go-fast bike that's also extremely comfortable for long rides. I like the understated graphics, too.

Favorite Ride:   Hurricane Ridge, Port Angeles, WA

Bike Setup:   Still all stock except for the stem.

Lemond Versailles vs. Cannondale 613?

haven't been able to test either of them out yet, but will soon. Basically, one of these will be my first road bike purchase and I'm trying to size up the two in terms of how good of a deal they are. I've been reading tons of reviews online about each, but I still don't know and I was hoping to get ... Read More »

Get Brand New ::Versailles T Womens 1,899-AUD

[B] Owned by Mr.TARRON ROWAN and located in Shop 1, 48 Maryborough St Bundaberg South, Queensland 4670 Australia. Peddler Bicycle Centre go to Asian regional market place since 1993 and go to International market place since 1995 Peddler Bicycle Centre want to introduce to worldwide that we hav ... Read More »

LeMonde Versailles or Pinarello F3.13?

I'm wondering what would be my better option. I can but the LeMonde Versailles with105 running gear for $2300 or a Pinarello F3.13 with campag veloce running gear for $2500. I am just getting in to bikes and will be using the bike for commuting/training. Maybe working towards group rides/longer stuf ... Read More »

2007 Lemond Versailles or 2005 Buenos Aires? Both new

After trying to learn as much as I could from reading (a lot of it on this forum - thanks!) and visiting 4 LBS to try out several bikes I'm down to choosing between a 2007 Lemond Versailles or 2005 Buenos Aires? Both are new and almost the same price. Initially the Versailles seemed to be more co ... Read More »

2006 Lemond Versailles...what is a good price?

I'm considering a purchase of a new 2006 Lemond Versailles from my LBS. They will sell it to me for $999. Does this seem like a good price? As reference, this bike is a steel/carbon spine with 105/Ultegra mix. Any input is appreciated. Thanks...Read More »