Leopard Cycles DC1 Road Bike

4.96/5 (26 Reviews)

The Leopard DC1 road bike. The former Canadian road champion called it a “cornering cannon”. The DC1 descends on rails and is a top race machine that does very well on rough roads and even dirt trails. Unique chain stay design offers exceptional dampening for such a stiff bike. Tube-to-tube construction Tapered head tube and steerer Frame weight: 870 gms (54cm top tube) 5 star stiffness and 4.5 star comfort 12K weave finish.

Leopard Cycles DC1 Pro Review

We tested the DC1 model which is an aggressive frame that shaves off the grams but not the performance. At 870 grams, this one was very light while sporting big tubes. The build looked first rate as we couldn’t find any imperfections in construction at all. The frame as unpainted and the carbon weave was there for all to see. We started pedaling and it was a hoot. Acceleration was dynamic and alive. Continue reading →

Submitted by Trevor

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Very stiff laterally, but comfortable and compliant ride.
Accelerates like a rocket
Lightweight and agile
Floats up climbs
Accurate and precise handling characteristics. Very confidence inspiring in crit corners and a range of descents.

Weaknesses:    For what you are buying this frame for, it has no weaknesses. The geometry is aggressive, but it is designed to be fast and have sharp handling. I recommend an M1SL from Leopard if you need a slightly less aggressive geometry, but still want a stiff and phenomenal bike.

Bottom Line:
Awesome all around bike. Very stiff laterally, but maintains a comfortable and compliant ride. This bike accelerates like a rocket and floats up the climbs. Abandoned my S-Works SL3 tarmac after riding the DC1. The handling of the DC1 is second to none. I am generally a moderately cautious descender while outside of races, but this frame makes me want to push it during training as well as racing. I have about 10k miles on the frame since Nov '12 and absolutely love the thing. No issues and the bike continues to be rock solid.

Submitted by Joshua Carling

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2013

Strengths:    super stable front end, stiff bottom bracket, great power transfer, very responsive while climbing. This bike is built for racing.

Weaknesses:    Bike is built for racing must be happy with aggressive position.

Bottom Line:
owner of the company deals with you directly and is a wonderful guy that will help you whenever he can.

Submitted by Chuck Hutcheson

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    Has remained stiff despite many 400 mile weeks, foul weather and a crash.

Weaknesses:    I wish I had gotten a different color. White just doesn't work for me. Next time!

Bottom Line:
Well, now that I have had my DC1 for six months, I feel I can write a review from experience. I have had many race seasons where bikes were provided for me, and this has been my first that I had to procure one myself - so naturally I wanted a bike that can withstand the abuse of training, possibly crashing, and still hold stiff and responsive enough to compete in the domestic 1,Pro peleton. The DC1 has carried me through (thank God!). I train on many dirt and gravel roads and the DC1 has remained stiff - I wish I could say the same about my wheels! Here is a photo of the first race I used my DC1 in, this is the final sprint between myself and current US Pro National Champion in Fast Freddy Rodriguez in late February: http://someoneisalwaysfaster.tumblr.com/post/44011899823/inch-by-inch-fast-freddy-nipped-by-charles

Submitted by Jon Christensen

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    This is a great bike. I consider myself an all arounder in cycling, from sprinting to breakaways and climbing. The Leopard is there for me every race. It works great for me on climbs from the 18 mile climb of Mt Hamilton to the short and steep hills of Berkeley, it also is great for criteriums eating up the 8 corner crits like they are nothing, and are great for flying through the last corner and delivering you to the finish in first! This is a superb bike that performs better and costs less than all of the other top of the line bike brands,

Weaknesses:    I have ridden/raced thousands of miles on it so far and I have nothing to complain of.

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike for a great price.

Submitted by Jarret

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light
Quick and nimble through big descents and in tight packs
Stiff but not unforgiving in the long hauls
Quick and comfortable up climbs that are long or short and snappy
Solid geometry
Race proven
Great customer service - Dean Peters is awesome!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I love it. Recently upgraded from a Look 585 ultra. Great bike but i love the fit/feel/responsiveness of my Leopard. My favorite part is clicking up two gears in the last corner and stomping those last 200 meters. I feel like one with my machine across the line with the pack BEHIND me! I would highly suggest the DC1 for anyone who wants to step into a performance machine. I am a racer and love it for the performance it gives me but i could see myself cruising or group riding this bike as well. Great price for the performance. Support Bay Area and local business. Excellent customer service. Wealth of knowledge about racing/health/fitness and riding in general.