Leopard Cycles L1 Road Bike

Leopard L1 Carbon Frame and Fork

Submitted by Gezza a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort/Compliance while still being incredibly responsive. Great looking frame - so distinctive when compared to other spaceship style frames out there these days.

Weaknesses:    Frame was delivered without proper headset or matching cable guide...but nothing that couldn't be sorted (fault of seller not Leopard I believe).

Bottom Line:
excellent frame with fantastic styling. Uber cool bike. Matched it with my own components (Ritchey WCS bars, stem etc, Fulcrum racing 3 wheels and SRAM Force drivetrain) and did not expect it to work this well together. really pleased and much easier & comfortable than other bikes I've ridden (especially for the price)

Favorite Ride:   Sydney Harbour to Northern Beaches

Purchased At:   Westernbikeworks

Similar Products Used:   Scott CR1

Submitted by Ben VanWye a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    Fit, handling, road feel, nice paint job.

Weaknesses:    The carbon handlebars have nice ergonomic flat grips in between the brake hoods, but in the drops my (large) hands were a little cramped and got numb during criterium turning

Bottom Line:
The Leopard L1 is light, responsive, and sharp looking. Based on advice from the tech guys at the shop in San Francisco I opted for Easton Tempest II wheels to go with both a triathlon/TT set-up and a swap out road set-up as well. It's an excellent combination. To save money I spec'ed Ultegra since the bike comes standard with a carbon crank. I chose a compact crank coupled with a cluster with an 11 tooth small cog - which I recommend. At 6'3" and 200 lbs I need a frame with a 62 cm seat tube and something longer than the standard 59 cm top tube found on other bikes. The Leopard geometry is exactly on target for me, with a 61 cm top tube and a choice of stem lengths. I've had four road bikes, and this is the best yet.

Favorite Ride:   Leopard L1

Purchased At:   Leopard website

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1200, EPX 303, Airborne Zepplin, Cervelo P2k

Bike Setup:   Ultegra derailleurs and brakes, Leopard (FSA?) compact carbon crank, Leopard (FSA?) bar and stem, Fis'ik Airione saddle, Thompson Masterpiece seatpost, Easton Tempest II wheels, Michelin Pro Race tires

Submitted by John Skog a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Strengths:    Price and components. The wheelset is bulletproof! After 3000 miles, still haven't had to true them.

Bottom Line:
Within 15 minutes of delivery, I had my new CL1 assembled, adjusted and ready to ride. After a 5 mile warm-up, I began a century ride that was just awesome. The bike performed extremely well and was admired by many!

Favorite Ride:   Leopard

Purchased At:   Leopard Cycles

Similar Products Used:   A quantum leap above my Specialized Allez.

Bike Setup:   Piece of cake

Submitted by justridekp a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    Unsurpassed customer service, customized component package, price, geometry fits me like a glove, amazing paint job, smooth ride, solid handling on descents

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
Whenever I'm in the market for a new anything, I research my options to death. My search for a new ride kept bringing me back to the Leopard website. Yeah, it was the gallery of amazing paint jobs that first drew me in...but I eventually went with the Leopard based on geometry, components, price and money-back guarantee. I have not been disappointed! First of all, they guys were happy to work with me on some adjustments to my order. They ordered in some Ascent II wheels for me and also a Terry seat that they didn't usually carry. Although I did have to wait a week or so while they sent back the fork to the paint shop because they weren't happy with the match to the frame (and hey, I'm impressed with that kind of QC), the bike arrived ready to roll and just as sweet-looking as the gallery frames. Rode it a few times and realized the stem was a little long for me so the guys swapped it out for me. I had also opted to go with a compact crankset and realized after a month that it just wasn't working for me. This, of course, was my mistake but Leopard readily swapped out the compact for a traditional. I can't think of anywhere else you'd get this kind of customer service! I love the semi-compact geometry, comfortable ride, responsive handling, everything already mentioned in previous reviews. The Leopard ergo carbon handlebars are extremely comfortable and I have a hard time riding my old bike with standard bars now.

Purchased At:   Leopard Cycles