Leopard Cycles M1SL Road Bike

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

The Leopard M1SL road bike. Our flagship machine comes with a relaxed road geometry with unique tubing and taller headtubes. Ideal for any type of riding; criteriums, long road races, or grand fondo’s. Endorsed by discriminating enthusiasts and seasoned professionals, including the 1984 Olympic road champion, Alexi Grewal. Monocoque, carbon dropouts Tapered headtube Frame weight: 840 gms (54.5cm top tube) 4.5 star stiffness with 5 star compliance.

Submitted by Tyler Roberts a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2013

Strengths:    Light, stiff, agile, handles very well, smooth ride, good price.

Bottom Line:
This was my first carbon road bike that I have purchased, and I have to say that the bike is more than what I could ever have hoped for. Since the frame is light and agile, it is almost effortless to navigate any turn or technical course. I like the fact that it rides very smoothly, which is nice when you're racing or riding for a long period of time. I am appreciative of the cost to quality proportion, in the sense that you get more for your dollar than you would from other companies. I am very satisfied with this product and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a well-rounded bike.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with hills

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000, Giant TCR2, Cervelo Soloist Aluminum, Cervelo S1

Bike Setup:   Shimano 6700, FSA K-Force compact crankset with 180mm crank arms

Submitted by S Dowdy a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    Very quick bike - firm, strong and light with great handling and smooth ride. Sharp looking frame. Very high Quality for price.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I purchased this 2009 bike from a former California Webcor racing team mechanic in Boulder, CO.. It was a spare frame that he built out with good components and I have used for Triathalons and Road rides around Colorado. My neighbor who rides +$10K bikes and does mountain climb racing is very impressed with my Leopard bike. I am surprised there are not more dealers handling this bike in Colorado, as it is far superior in weight and handling compared to other bikes I tested from top dealers in the area. I would highly recommend this frame and service for parts from the Leopard Cycle Company has been outstanding.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Dillon Colorado

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez

Submitted by Tom Judson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2013

Strengths:    Great value. The bike climbs well and corners great. Customer service is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Just the rider.

Bottom Line:
My M1SL is my second Leopard (after an M1). The M1 was my first CF bike. Before that I had been riding custom steel frames. What a change! Although I really liked the M1, but the M1SL is a huge improvement. It's lighter, stiffer, and looks much cleaner. Leopard Cycles has great customer service. I called yesterday to order a spare derailleur hanger, and they shipped it today. I have been spending several weeks in the Pyrenees and the Alps each summer for the past 5 years. My M1SL climbs great and descends like it is one rails. I hope to be in the market for a new bike next year, and another Leopard is near the top of my list. I plan on keeping my M1SL as a training bike.

Similar Products Used:   Leopard M1, custom built Cyclops steel bike.

Bike Setup:   SRAM Red with a Quarq power meter.

Submitted by T Stanis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2013

Strengths:    Fantastic Value. Climbs like a mountain goat. Very stable cornering. Comfortable ride for long days in the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Not as stiff as some of the competition (CAAD9, Scott Foil).

Bottom Line:
I bought the Leopard M1SL after trying Cannondale, Scott, Specialize and Trek. The M1SL is a fantastic bike. It's light as a feather. The first time I climbed Kings Mountain Rd on this bike I set a 1 minute PR vs. my previous (albeit heavy 21lb aluminum) Cannondale Synapse. I will say that the bike is not as stiff as some of the sprinter bikes like the Scott Foil. Coming over from my old relaxed geometry bike, I saw no improvement in power transfer (measured with PowerTap) when cranking up short efforts < 30 seconds. On the other hand, the ride on the M1SL is MUCH smoother then those stiff as steel sprinter bikes. While this bike has a race geometry I actually feel more comfortable on it then I do on the Synapse.

The bike is also very tough. It has been through 2 heavy crashes without any frame damage.

The other great thing about this bike is the geometry. Other bikes offer geometry where even with a slammed -17 stem you're still flying a sail. This bike allows for you to get low and fast if you want, or put in some spacers and have a more comfortable ride.

The handling on the bike is very predictable and reassuring. I'm a pretty nervous/poor descender, and this has improved my descending dramatically. I have never had any wobble or understeer. I've also ridden it on dirt and it does as well as you would expect with 23mm tires.

There is a bit of toe-overlap with the front wheel, but it has never caused me any troubles.

The sizing is a bit different then it might appear. I actually ride the size Small even though I'm 5'10". The guys at Leopard have a good understanding of what will fit you, so email them and discuss it, don't just look at the top tube length.

Favorite Ride:   Big Basin State Park (HWY 236)

Purchased At:   direct