Litespeed Teramo Road Bike

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Frame Material: 3Al/2.5V titanium
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Satin
Pedals: Not applicable
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Pro

Submitted by imcgraw a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    Ride quality and handling. The frame is lively and responsive. It is not the stiffest frame in the world but gives back what it takes (it is not a noodle either). As a seated cliber, it just purrs up climbs (especially with the compact FSA cranks). I can spin quite comfortable on climbs up to 16-even 18% whilst maintaining a decent cadence. When I do choose to stand, the bike feels lively, particularly in sprints. The frame also handles great and corners very confidently. I can push this bike into corners faster than my old aluminiu bike and always come out feeling like I could have gone harder.
The quality of the frame's construction is amazing. Welds are absolutely perfect. Even though this is Litespeed's cheapest frame the quality still there. Tubes are oversized and shaped to improve performance. Looks great with a modern / classic appeal(although there are too many stickers - I removed one on the top tube to show off the titanuim).

Weaknesses:    When I first received the bike I had a few creaking issues. Realised that there was problem with the carbon fork (HP Signature) and some imperfect facing on the BB and HS tubes of the frame. I contacted Bicycle Exotica (Australian Litespeed reps) who were very helpfull, replacing the fork (for an HP Pro)and compensating for the trouble re having to get the frame properly faced.

Also, I have had spokes come loose on the rear of the Super Sphere wheel set (straight pull spokes). Not a big issue, but these wheels did require a few early re-trues and tensionings (have been fine since however). Finally, have found the QR levers on these wheels don't clamp perfetly and were also found to be the source of some creaking noise (inspite of tight adjustment). I swapped for Shimanos and the noise disappeared.

Bottom Line:
NB. This is for 2006 model.
Overall, very nice bike. Have made some upgrades which further improved performance. Overall, a beautiful ride and sweet handling bike. I had some initial problems but I was well supported in resolving them.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Exotica

Similar Products Used:   The closest ride I can compare this to is a steel Tommassini I raced in the 1990s. Although I'd say the Teramo is a little stiffer and about 3kg lighter (as a whole bike) the ride and handling has some similarity to a well made steel frame.

Bike Setup:   Standard 2006 build Dura Ace, 105 brakes, Super Sphere wheels and Gossamer cranks). Upgraded to Ti stem and Kestral carbon bars. weighs in at approx 8kg.

Submitted by sungchang a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Strengths:    Great Ti ride and feel for under $2k
Compact Geometry - for my short legs
Great finish/looks
Loves to climb
Solid componentry

Weaknesses:    None at this time.

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted a Ti ride. When an opportunity came to buy a 2005 leftover Litespeed Teramo under $2k, I jumped on it. The components were stock, Ultegra 10 drivetrain with FSA Compact crank, except for the wheelset. I got a Mavic Openpro with Ultegra hubs instead. After delivery, I swapped out to Thompson seatpost and Fizik Aliante saddle. As for looks, the satin finish isn't as good looking as the brushed finish of the higher end Litespeeds, but it's growing on me. As I have short legs, the compact geometry of Teramo is an awesome benefit to me.

Since this is my first road bike, I don't have a basis to compare with other types of frames/bikes. My initial impression of the ride was that bike rode very well, and it loves to climb. It seem to absorb the road chatter pretty well, but still keeping me alert. The handling seems quite precise, but I have not yet come down steep declines to check how lively it is. As an added benefit, coming from Shimano's Dual Controller (mountain bike), the STI was an easy transition, and Ultegra 10s shifting is quite precise. My initial road test were with 05 Litespeed Firenze and 04 Lemond Arrivee. Although I really liked the way Firenze (the other Litespeed sub $3k Ti) felt, I am gld that I chose the Teramo.

All in all, I would highly recommend

Favorite Ride:   Any Ride

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Westwood Cycle, NJ

Similar Products Used:   2005 Litespeed Firenze
2004 Lemond Arrivee

Submitted by mtnroad a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    ti frame under 3K
solid components
clean look with satin finish

Weaknesses:    shimano (stock) is less precise than campy, don't feel like dropping the cash to upgrade

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a 2005 Litespeed Teramo. The new frame is a great step up from last year, a complete satin finish. Looks really clean. The components are decent, shimano ultegra, cane creek, mavic equip, all stock.

The only upgrade was saddle, sell italia max flite gel, and handlebars (ritchey pro) Based upon personal preference only.

Bike ride very well both climbing and descending.

Shifting took some getting used to, came from "campy" so shimano took some getting used to (not as precise and solid feeling as "campy")

I've only ridden it for a month now but it's a great upgrade from my '99 "chevy" vega (univega).

I'd recommend to anyone looking to spend under 3,000 on a ti frame with decent components.

The MSRP for 2005 is 2,795 which is 500 higher than last year. Maybe the price of ti is going up???? I didn't pay that thankfully.

Favorite Ride:   any climb

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   litespeed sienna, 2004 (didn't like the carbon stays) buddy had problems where the ti meets the carbon didn't want to risk having the same problem. also didn't want to drop the cash even when told his problem was isolated

Bike Setup:   stock, except seat and handlebars

Submitted by Spinner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    Great Ti ride. Shaped, coldworked tubing. Excellent power transfer. Light frameweight.

Weaknesses:    Saddle seemed uncomfortable, although I didn't really give it a chance (my LBS deducted it from the bike's cost and I put on an Arione).

Saddle would eventually slip back no matter how tight I made the seatpost, so I upgraded to a Thompson Elite Setback.

Bottom Line:
(Note that the puchase price includes an upgraded wheel set).

With the introduction of the Firenze and the Teramo, Litespeed appears to be trying to capture the more affordable end of the Ti market. After riding for 12 years on Cannondale 2.8 frame, I was ready for an upgrade, and the Firenze looked to be just the ticket. I tested a Firenze one size two small, and it felt sweet. But the prospect of a $2000 Ti Litespeed appears to be catching a lot of riders' attention. These frames are in such hot demand that my LBS said it would take three months to get one in my size. In order to not loose a customer, they offered me a deal on a Teramo that was in stock. One test ride later, it was mine.

The Teramo, which is also new for 2004, is the next step up in Litespeed's Ti lineup. It's actually the least expensive Litespeed that incorporates shapped cold worked tubing found in the higher end Litespeeds. The frame is compact, although in my size (L), the top tube is only slightly slopping.

The forward half of the frame is painted, while the aft half is "satin" which is kind of a raw Ti look. The satin finish on my frame is darker than what appears on Litespeeds website and in their catelog. Some might miss the shiny look of a brushed finish, but I think the Teramo looks just fine. The paint job is flawless. Most importantly, the welds on the Teramo are absolute perfection.

I'm quite pleased with the bike's ride characteristics. I do mainly hilly rides, and I can say that the Teramo is a bike that loves to climb. When accelerating, the Teramo gives that little surge that I've felt in nice steel frames. The bottom bracket is quite stiff--I haven't induced any front derailleur rub (except once climbing in an extreme cross-over gear). Although I still feel the road, vibration is much less than my old Al frame. Although the Teramo lacks the carbon seat stays that are becoming so popular, Litespeed makes up for it with the Teramo's vibration dampening curved seat stays. In terms of handling, the bike is somewhat lively. You have to watch what you're doing on descents. But it takes curves very well.

In summary, I highly recommed the Teramo. It's a relatively affordable way to access the technology that goes into Litespeeds more expensive frames.

Favorite Ride:   Hilly back roads.