Litespeed Vortex Dura Ace 10 Speed Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Continental Grand Prix 3000

Submitted by Jay Cahow

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    Light Weight, Responsive, Stiff, Good Looking, Won't Rust, Free Repair and Reconditioning

Weaknesses:    Top Tube Vortex Decal Wears Off, Litespeed Head Plate Fell Off, Cracked Rear Dropout, Expensive Price

Bottom Line:
Bought mine in 97 and have loved it ever since. I have well over 50,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Replaced the original 1" threaded fork with a threadless Time Featherlite right after getting the bike and swapped stock 9 speed setup for 10 later. Handles fine, I have never experienced the wobble others talk about. Climbs up the steepest hills no problems. My friend bought a Voretx in 98 on my recommendation and still rides his as well. My frame cracked at rear drive dropout after 10 years but was fixed for free (they buffed entire frame, replaced all decals, replaced Head Plate for free). Only negative for me is my 1" head tube as the 98 models forward have 1.25" head tube. My frame is from the original Litespeed company so I can't compare to later 2000 models. Just love my bike!

Submitted by Sam

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2012

Strengths:    Light and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None noted yet.

Bottom Line:
I have a 97 Vortex and have ridden over 15k miles on the frame. I am 6’ 1” and at my lightest I was a svelte 230 at my heaviest 290. Most of my miles are from west Texas. I have not put many miles on the frame in the last 4 years, but I have not had any “cracking” of the frame welds. In stressing the frame I have taken train tracks and cattle guards at speed and always felt solid on this frame. I do agree that the geometry is aggressive and you have to pay attention. I have not had to request any warranty work on the frame as yet, but I am looking at sending it in to have it refurbished and new decals applied. I will update this post as to the customer service as I go through this process.

Submitted by Conrad Brazzel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Weaknesses:    the Litespeed warranty

Bottom Line:
Great bike to ride until the frame cracked at the down tube and head tube juncture. This happened within 2 years of riding. Litespeed repaired it and the frame cracked in the same place again. The Lite speed warranty committee refused to honor the warranty. The claim "the frame has lived it's life".
What happened to the "Lifetime warranty"?
Very upset with this company.
This will be the first of many letters around the web.

Purchased At:   RocknRoad cyclery

Submitted by Orestes a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    Dont have to worry about the paint, strong, fairly light, and good looks.

Weaknesses:    Wobble at high speeds, Costumer Service stinks, Lite speed refuses to correct the problems.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I got it on sale over the net from a great store. However, I have experienced the famous wobble at high speeds with or without Aero-Wheels. I have not even tried to contact costumer service because of the experience that my friend Gonzalo had with his Tuscany where they are very rude and willing to honor the lifetime warranty(his downtube cracked). By the way, I bought the Vortex on his advice. Based on reviews here, I see that a lot of people have experienced the wobble and bad costumer service. I will never buy a Litespeed again.

Favorite Ride:   Homestead Bayfront Marina

Purchased At:   Mike's Bicycle Cente

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Orca

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 10 spd,Mavic Kysirium and Cosmic

Submitted by Richard Pynn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2009

Strengths:    Good fast bike. Durable..until. Excellent climbing bike. Bladed seatstays are a mixed blessing - they add some flex that adds power since they are flat - but I can flex the rear wheel into the brakes sometimes. I loved the bike - hate the company.

Weaknesses:    Pricey. Especially considering the customer service & warranty issues above. Uncalled for. A Mercedes price means Mercedes service if anything ever - ever - goes wrong. Walmart warrants their bikes better, really !

Bottom Line:
Great bike....until. With 35,000 miles on it, we found a huge crack in the downtube that went through the weld and into the head tube, 40 miles into a 42 mile ride. Downtube crack was 2/3 of the way around. I bought a lottery ticket that night because the thing was seconds away from splitting in half with me on it at speed. I was very lucky that day even though I did not win the lottery. I see on here a lot of complaints about customer service & warranty repairs at Litespeed- that's why I am writing. It will take 3 months to get my bike back, they want to charge me $200 for replacing the stickers, with fright & all I'm out $400, for a clear mfg defect. Should not have cost me a dime. The bike has never been wrecked or even fallen over. Customer service is rude and arrogant (Todd - that's you). They don't care. I don't think they even ride bikes. The happy ending is that I got a loaner frame from a great bike shop (JTRG above) a Cannondale SuperSix and the Litespeed will be on EBay if I ever get it back from the Wall Street Bankers at LiteSpeed. I'm falling more in love with the Cannondale by the day.

Favorite Ride:   40-50 & hilly