Lynskey Performance Designs Helix Disc Road Bike

As hydraulic road disc brakes become reality and available to the masses, what better model than our flagship Helix super road frame to offer in this new version? All the performance that you've read about with our Helix'd tubeset, tapered/integrated head tube, PF30 BB and now beautiful plate dropout with elegant and light disc brake tabs. We will offer a Di2 upgrade option which will simply have the addition of holes for internally routed Di2 cable. Whether you choose Shimano Di2 or Sram Red Hydraulic, the new 2014 Helix disc is certain to leave all those other bikes in your garage feeling jilted.

Submitted by Roy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2015

Strengths:    Looks Superb, Unique and Awesome riding experience

Weaknesses:    expensive to build, if you are a little bit meticulous on your bike set up.

Bottom Line:
I came from Cannondale Caad 10 with a good riding experience as my first road bike, then moved S works Allez with Dura Ace 9000 group set and Roval CLX 40 as my wheelset. Can't complain with my S-works but I just can't stand with the braking sounds with the rim brakes. So I decided to gamble with Disc Brake, fortunately, my option is Lynskey Helix. after few miles of riding experience. I just truly feel in love with performance, looks and the ability of the Ti to absorb vibration from the terrain.

100% Lynskey helix disc 2014 is a new deal on all weather road bike and best in the business in delivering outstanding Ti bikes in the market. As evidence by owning cove hummer ti ltd edition build by Lynskey.

Submitted by wtchoe

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2014

Strengths:    SUPER STIFF but comfortable
Responsibly light

Weaknesses:    Unimpressed by cable disc brakes so far -- go hydro!

Bottom Line:
To ease my recent transition into the 40s, I decided to put together a new bike. I LOVE my Lynskey R340, built with Campagnolo Super Record and Zipp 303s. It’s light, lively but stiff, and drop-dead gorgeous. Given the magic they infused into that frame, I came back for Lynskey’s latest-and-greatest Helix Disc to create a bike that would hopefully take me into my 50s. I built it up recently with Campy Super Record/OverTorque and Wheelbuilder Zipp 303s with Chris King R45 ISOs.

To be honest, I had some doubts. The whole Helix principle did not make sense to me and I objected to the Helix “look” almost on principle, preferring the purity of the R340’s tube profiles. But I dove in based on the outstanding reviews of the non-disc Helix series.

My reservations were quickly forgotten when I pulled the frame out of the box. The frame is GORGEOUS is person, and even more so when built up. The flat pictures really don’t do the frame justice. The way the light comes off the tubes makes it look quite muscular in a way that no carbon frame can replicate. The new tapered head tube with the integrated headset cups is elegantly seamless as well.

My ML frame (bright brushed/etched) weighed 1723 grams without the seatpost collar and bolts, and the Enve RD fork weighed 430 grams uncut. Even so, the entire bike weighed 7930g/17.4lb with an aluminum cockpit and relatively heavy aero wheels (no pedals). One could easily drop another 200-300g with a carbon cockpit and lighter wheelset, so it’s quite possible to build this into a responsibly light sub-17lb bike. Not bad for a basically indestructible frame with the extra weight inherent to a disc brake setup.

Most important, how does it ride? This thing is ANVIL-SOLID. I thought the R340 was stiff, but the Helix definitely takes it up to 11. The front and BB simply move as a single unit. You push, it goes – the surprisingly immediate connection to the rear wheel becomes especially apparent during climbs. I’ve only hit about 30mph so far, but I can’t imagine descending will be an issue with a frame this tight. Yes the ride is a bit stiffer too, but it still has that titanium feel and remains smoother than the best carbon bikes I have ridden.

So I ended up with an indestructibly light, comfortably stiff, uniquely gorgeous bike. It looks and rides like nothing else. I may not understand this Helix alchemy, but it simply works. I could easily stay with this bike for the next 10+ years, and could see passing it along to my kids.

A few technical notes: The pads on the TRP Spyres stink. The EBC Golds are much better. Even so, braking with the cable disc setup seems no better than a good rim system. Definitely go hydro – I can’t wait until Campy comes out with theirs. I also have a BB creak with the Campy PF30 OverTorque BB, and will install a King Ceramic PF30 BB tonight.