Lynskey Performance Designs Helix OS Road Bike

4.95/5 (20 Reviews)

The Helix OS takes our signature Helix tube set and adds current component design elements to create one of the most exciting road race frames for 2013. By adding a SRAM Pressfit 30 bottom bracket to this frame (which requires BB30 cranks), we have increased stiffness for maximum power transfer. We have also increased the headtube diameter for more responsive handling and to accept a Cane Creek 110 ZS 44mm headset. Our proven Pro Competition geometry can be found on this top level race frame allowing for an aggressive riding position. The combination of these features make the Helix OS the pinnacle of our road racing lineup.

Submitted by Steve Blenkinsop

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest, but that's not why you buy.

Bottom Line:
Just built my Helix OS 2013 frame with full ultegra groupset. Used Wheels Manufacturing BB and shims.
God it's quick!
Mops the floor with my carbon Kuota and it's lighter!
First ride after building and a test 5 miles. 110 mile Tour of the Peak in Derbyshire, UK. 12,500 feet of ascent. The bike is better than me. A great day with a great friend on a great bike.

Submitted by Allen E. Pohren

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Great ride and a bike that smooths out the road. I love the looks of my Helix OS and I have many second looks at the frame and the nature of the tubes. Most people can't believe how you could possibly make tubes in the shape that they come in for the Helix.Going down hills at higher speeds this bike feels solid under you and the front end isn't loose like some bikes I have ridden.

Weaknesses:    The only weekness would be the weight of the bike frame.

Bottom Line:
Excellent Bike that I could recommend to anyone!

Submitted by Arkaine.BB a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff, durable, excellent geometry, markable feeling of road, good looking.

Weaknesses:    little bit weight, 1.65kg frame only....

Bottom Line:
When I finish assembly of my bike, first timing ridding, my though was this is what I want.

1. Geometry is excellent. Suitable for Agressieve ridding
2. High efficiencies of force transfer, very direct.
3. Excellent stiffness during ridding. Can not feel any deform during acceleration.
4. Most highlight point is that during tuning, my feeling was that the bike is like paste on the ground, very stable.
5. road feel. I just wanna say, it's like you running on the road. One thing also markablenis that the Enve 2.0 is very suit for this frame.

If the priority of you choosing a bike is performance and durability, helix the perfect one.

Bike Setup:   helix OS frame
Easton EC90 bar and ea90 stem
Campagnolo group set
Campagnolo shamel ultra wheel set
SMP.....

Submitted by SamT a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent stiffness, response, versatile geometry, endless options, timeless beauty with a different twist to the mainstream. Fast and nimble, critty frame. Huge huge pride of ownership without being shouty or fashionable. You've got to see it in the flesh to appreciate it!

Weaknesses:    Mmmm, this is being picky, perhaps weight by current standards (mine, bare, came in at about 1.6kg for my Large Helix OS Di2 model, but I was brought up Columbus SLX and TSX vs Reynolds 753, preferring efficiency and reliability over weight alone) but in this frame, you are buying over-engineering for the long haul. Either way, it is considerably lighter than most steel frames and for the size on par with a "good" alloy frame. I consider carbon frames too fragile to compare, based my current experience so far. Blink and another crack appears for whatever reason. Needless to say, I no longer trust carbon and keep my carbon content to a minimum, particularly on key structural parts. At times, it can feel a little stiff in the front end, if using Enve 1.5 tapered forks (which I am due to my distrust of carbon)

Bottom Line:
So here it is, approaching forty, 1.89m/6'2.25" and currently about 90kg, down from 110kg (might have something to do with being a carbon killer). I am not going to pretend to be pushing a gazillions watts of power because I don't use power meters and therefore have not got a clue what I put out. However, I have not raced since the late eighties and really only ride for fitness now, still pretty heavy on the gear though. I have owned quite a few nice bikes over the last twenty five years including some really nice custom steels (Ottadinis, Mercians), Italian top end alloys (Colnago Dream), Trek Madones, Cannondale Supersixes, loving most of them. However, I love the art of framebuilding and the metalwork. For me plastic bikes seem a bit soul-less and their performance deteriorates with every turn of the cranks, as the fibres gradually loosen within the resin under strain. It's pretty much inevitable. (Yes, I also know of metal fatigue or should i say "I have heard of it"). Anyway, it took me while to eventually arrive at this bike and even now I still like looking at other nice ti brands like Passoni, Crisp, Baum and Moots because I really admire the skill, material beauty and creativity which these frames possess. But would I swap my Helix OS Di2 (bright brushed and etched graphics) for one of those? No, why would I? Pay more, for less? It seems to me that Lynskey offer the best value for money in the ti frame industry. So far, I am still in awe of this one, I just can't seem to get sick of looking at it. There is just so much detail to admire, most of it seemingly having tangible purpose (yes aesthetics do count in there too) along with a good clean contemporary geometry. Oh yes and it rides pretty darn well to boot.....rock solid, none of this wibbly wobbly titanium nonsense I might have read about in the past. To me at least, it feels and looks pretty special...

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere with no cars, trucks and with smooth silky roads, usually around hometown in France...

Purchased At:   Primera Bournemouth,

Similar Products Used:   Various, see review summary

Bike Setup:   Set up with Enve 2 1.5" tapered forks, Cane Creek 110 int/ext headset, Deda Zero 100 DMP stem, bars, USE Alien ti seatpost, Selle Italia SLR XP saddle, Fulcrum Racing RRS Ultratorque Chainset, Ultegra Di2 transmission and levers, Ultegra Carbon SPD-SLs, Tune seatpost clamp, Fulcrum Racing Zeros with Dura-Ace cassette and the awesome TRP r979eq brake calipers...Bang tidy!!

Submitted by ol a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing comfort. Super responsiveness and stiffness. Strength and longevity.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none. Honestly if I could fault it I would.

Bottom Line:
This is my 5 th titanium bike and now 15 th bike overall. I just sold my r340 just so I could have the very best in the Lynskey helix os. Just for the record my mate who bought the r340 absolutely loves it. Hardly rides his Trek madone 5.2 any more.
I can truthfully say that the helix to me represents the holy grail of bikes. What do I mean by that? Well basically the helix has the amazing responsiveness of my colnago eps plus the beautiful ethereal ride that titanium is famous for. The front end stiffness is incredible. Bottom bracket does not budge. The bike can easily be compared to BMW M3. Just beautiful and comfortable when cruising and an absolute beast when the throttle goes down. The workmanship is certainly up there with Moots which I also owned. Anyone who is thinking about a top end carbon should definitely consider this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Bright Victoria

Purchased At:   Bike pro Burwood.