Lynskey Performance Designs Helix Road Bike

4.79/5 (19 Reviews)

Optimum performance and advanced frame technology make the Helix rise above the rest. The Lynskey pioneered Helix tubing technology, with its unique spiral shape, creates a remarkably light, stiff and stable platform. Built around competition geometry for aggressive riding, the frame utilizes a Helix down tube, top tube and seatstays which resist torsional forces and impart excellent stability, precise handling and a power to the pedals that will no doubt remind you why you chose to start riding in the first place.

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    Craftsmanship is second to none. Perfect welds by artists.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
My "dream bike" Lynskey Helix is not only a work of art, but so much fun to ride! Clearly it is built to go fast, but the motor is still improving. I am strictly a recreational rider but after seeing a Helix frame knew it was for me. We bought the frame and fork from Lynskey, and set it up with Shimano Ultegra 6800, eleven speed compact group set. The wheels are Shimano Ultegra, as well. We used a Thompson seat post for a bit of flexibility and durability. The one upgrade we did was put a Dura Ace crankset for more stiffness. I have only had my Helix for about 1600 miles but cannot find a thing about it I do not love. Yes, it was expensive, but it is my dream bike and is worth every penny, uh, dollar! Thank you David Lynskey for crafting such a wonderful work of cycling art.

Submitted by Douglas Gardner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    Performance, fit, comfort, stability - Matches my riding style perfectly. The right bike for A/BB group rides and the occasional century.

Weaknesses:    Version prior to 2013 may not accommodate 25mm tires

Bottom Line:
I took delivery of my new Helix a few weeks ago from Just Riding Along Bike Shop in Laytonsville, MD and I couldn't be happier with the bike and the service I received. Coming from a carbon race bike I had some concerns about stiffness but I needed to boost comfort for my longer rides. Travis, from JRABS, knows my riding style and current bike so he pointed me toward the Helix. Researching Lynskey and checking with Travis' Lynskey customers confirmed this was the right choice for me. Of particular use were the reviews by Pez Cycling News from a few years ago and the ti shootout article in Bicycle Quarterly from this past winter.

Here's a picture of my bike: "http://www.pinterest.com/pin/365143482258948575/"

The resulting bike and build have been nothing short of excellent. I don't think the fit and performance could be any better matched to me even if I had spec'd a custom frame. Seat is nicely centered on the post and my preferred bars are right where they should be without unsightly stacks of spacers. I've lost no performance, gained comfort, and ride measurably faster. It feels like I'm in tune with the bike and can put more power into it without beating myself up. This is truly transformational. Thank you crafting such finely tuned machine.

Favorite Ride:   Montgomery County Ag Preserve

Purchased At:   Just Riding Along Bi

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cervelo

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Chorus, Enve 2.0 forks, Thomson Elite X2 stem, Thomson Elite seat post, American Classic 420 rims, Deda Zero bars, Fizik seat, Ultegra pedals

Submitted by Ry

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Combination of frame geometry and straight bladed forks makes turning and cornering razor sharp.
I have an extremely bad neck and back from a motorcycle wreck, and the smoothness of the ride is amazing.
Feels like nothing I've ever ridden before. This is what I imagine nights with Giselle must feel like.
Best of all, when sprinting up hills out of the saddle, my previous cf bike would hop and skitch all over the place.
Not so with the Helix. Rear wheel stays firmly on the steet. Simply amazing feel.

Weaknesses:    Huh?

Bottom Line:
Thanks, United Airlines, for killing my carbon frame.
Otherwise I never would have gotten this beauty.

Submitted by EK a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    - exceptional craftsmanship
- timeless looks
- great customer service & advice

Weaknesses:    Quality comes at a price.

Bottom Line:
The Helix demonstrates what happens when people do what they love, rather than do what they're told. Craftsmanship is exceptional. Ride quality is outstanding. No road buzz, and very laterally stiff when its time to sprint or bridge.

Buy one. And take the advice of the Lynskey team when it comes to key build items like headset, fork & seatpost. Remember, you're making a long-term investment, not buying a carbon bike made in some other corner of the world, where all you're left with in a few years are the components that were bolted to it.

Build it up yourself if that's your thing. I did, and it deepened my appreciation for what the Lynskeys have created.

Then fit it and forget it...you'll feel like you've been riding the Helix for years.

One cautionary note: the headtube angle/fork rake may result in low-speed contact between your toes and the front wheel. Only an issue if you're buying this bike to ride around in parking lots. At speed it hasn't fazed me.

Favorite Ride:   Horseshoe Bay

Dura ace/ultegra compact groupset
Krysrium wheelset

Submitted by cidney

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    The frame is solid and indestructible yet is able to cushion the potholes on the road. The fork is lightweight and smooths out the ride. The bike goes fast.

Weaknesses:    The company. According to their website, they have a scale in which you need to decide according to your height and weight which size frame you need. According to their scale I would take a Medium frame. I bought the frame and it is a good frame, but it is TOO BIG for me. I contacted the company to make an exchange, it was past the 60 day warranty, yet this company will do nothing to make things right. BEWARE if you purchase anything from this company. They do not take care of you the consumer yet make it seem that they do. When you need new decals BEWARE, they told me it would cost me $50. after I spent over $3,000. Go figure

Bottom Line:
The product is good, but the business practices of this company are terrible. Be careful when doing business. I reported them to the BBB and they have yet to respond.

23mm rims and Lynskey Helix

Anyone here run 23mm rims (with 23mm tires) on their 2012 or earlier Helix? It is an awesome bike but just wondering about the clearance between the nondrive chainstay and tire before ordering some 23mm rims. ThanksRead More »

Buy a Vamoots CR or keep my Lynskey Helix?????????

OK, I know this is the Moots board. I own a Psychlo-X that I love. I smile every time I ride it. I'm on the fence about selling my Lynskey Helix and getting a Vamoots CR. I cannot keep both bikes. I would have to sell the Helix to get the Vamoots. Please help.................Read More »

Lynskey Helix OS and tapered fork question.

Hello Folks. I just have a question for any lynskey owners who are running a tapered fork on their road frame. I have just purchased a helix os with a enve 1.5 tapered fork which needs an external bearing cup assembly on the bottom of the headtube. By installing the external cups on the headtube t ... Read More »

Ridley Damocles too stiff for 172 pnd. 6ft 1. Helix?

I have not bought a bike in a long time I see Pro sprinters have raced this bike. I ride my road bike like a CX bike at times(a few min. of goofing around). I ride in all weather and terrain. Competitive Cyclist is trying to talk me into a Ridley Damocles. I am looking for something more comforta ... Read More »

Metallurgist-twisting a 3/2 ti tube like Lynskey helix. Salesmanship or practically?

Doing what they do with the tubes at Lynskey on the helix, is it good for us or marketing for him? I spoke with another Ti Co. And they say twisting the tube weakens the tube. Thank you.Read More »