Lynskey Performance Designs Helix Road Bike

4.81/5 (27 Reviews)

Optimum performance and advanced frame technology make the Helix rise above the rest. The Lynskey pioneered Helix tubing technology, with its unique spiral shape, creates a remarkably light, stiff and stable platform. Built around competition geometry for aggressive riding, the frame utilizes a Helix down tube, top tube and seatstays which resist torsional forces and impart excellent stability, precise handling and a power to the pedals that will no doubt remind you why you chose to start riding in the first place.

Submitted by 425bulldog a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2015

Strengths:    Awesome bike. Way more bike than I'll ever need.

I always get complements on it where ever I ride. Not a lot of them on the road so people always do a double take.

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket is noisy and total garbage.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike but annoyed with customer service at Lynskey.

I purchased a complete assembled bike from the Lynskey website in April 2015. (2015 Helix with the Force 22 group). Day one mile one the bottom bracket had a creaking sound every time the crank goes around. Annoying for a $6k bike with zero miles on it.
I'd also likely have a local shop build the bike if I did it again. That way I'd have someone local to help trouble shoot it right out of the gate. Lynskey kind of threw the parts together and didn't do a great job of QC on the assembly. The bike, frame, were all perfect just things were not adjusted properly and the bottom bracket wasn't pressed in right.
I've been in and out of the local bike shop about 5 times now and each time they've taken apart the crank, added / removed spacers, grease, torqued bolts, trying to do the cheap fixes. Next will be to remove the bottom bracket and replace it was one that is a little higher end. Hopefully that will fix the problem and it's not an issue with the frame.
My simple warning is the bottom bracket supplied with this package is garbage. It's the cheapest of the cheap and has no business on a $6k bike. It's made noise from day one. Michael at Lynskey said to take it to a local shop and they would reimburse me for the shop time to get it fixed. Sent the receipt for $25 and never got the response back from Lynskey or check in the mail like Michael promised.

Regardless of the $25 bucks and $150-200 I need to spend to get a proper bottom bracket this bike is awesome.
Love the way it climbs, handles etc. Definitely a great bike for the money and once it's fully dialed in I'm looking forward to many years of riding on this frame.

Purchased At:   Lynskey Direct

Submitted by Eric a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2015

Strengths:    Only had the chance to do a short ride. The first thing I noticed is that it responds instantly to every pedal stroke.... will add to this review after a few longer rides.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
So far, so good.

Similar Products Used:   2014 Masi Evoluzione MRI, 2008 Bianchi 928, 2012 Focus Izalco Team

Bike Setup:   force 22 gruppo, mavic ksyrium, fsa cockpit

Submitted by Pete Sabin

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2015

Strengths:    Stiffness, smooth ride, SRAM Red 22, aesthetics, great sales/support process.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found so far.

Bottom Line:
I received my 2015 Helix with SRAM Red 22 grupo last week and have had the opportunity to ride it a few times now. In short, it's fantastic! It's not quite as light as a similar carbon frame, but at 6'1" and 220 lbs I just don't like carbon bikes. I've destroyed one carbon frame already and the stiffness of them translates into a lot of vibration that I can feel robbing me of forward momentum. Not so with the Helix, the Ti frame absorbs rough Tucson roads with ease. I'll be pedaling without much effort and look down at my computer to find that I'm going 3 mph faster than I thought I was. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoying this bike!

Submitted by Ron urris

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2015

Strengths:    Very stiff and a smooth ride.

Bottom Line:
I have a Giant Advance TCR SL with Campy Super Record 11. Under 15lbs. A great riding bike. Best I have ever been on.
Then I built the Lynskey Helix with SRAM Red 22 with Fulcrum Racing Zero's. Came in around 16 lbs. You can't put it in words or explain how this thing rides. Something about how it response to everything you give it. Climbs like you have a motor. I ride 4000 miles a year so comfort is a major key for me. This is a dream bike. I wish I had it 5 years ago. People have ask me what king of training I did over the winter because of my performance difference. Well it is about the bike. Don't hesitate, you will see what we all are saying. The only bad news is, I had to spend the money and buy my wife a Lynskey. Guess what same response.
Ride safe, what ever you ride.

Submitted by John

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2015

Strengths:    Ride quality
Quality of workmanship
Overall appearance

Weaknesses:    Nothing that I can find.

Bottom Line:
I picked up this frame during the year end clearance sale after asking all sorts of questions to Michael through the instant messenger on the web page. Every time I had one of my picky questions, he had an answer that I couldn't find fault with.
Bought the frame as a "I'll build this up later" type project. Within 3 weeks I broke down and built it up. The frame alone just looked too amazing to just leave for a "some day" project. I stripped down another bike and built it up full Ultegra with an Enve fork and a set of wheels I had. I knew how everything else felt on other bikes. What I was not prepared for was the way that bike handles. I came back from my first ride with a dumb grin that I couldn't shake loose.

Rides like a dream. Accelerates like a bullet. Climbs like a billy goat. And descends like its on rails. Zero high speed shimmy that I have been able to find.

Odd part. I have a 15lb carbon bike that climbs great. This bike is 3 lbs heavier and climbs like its 10lbs lighter. I haven't ridden any of my other road bikes since I got this. And have even sold a couple. Best feeling bike I have ever owned.

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!