Lynskey Performance Designs Helix Road Bike

4.78/5 (18 Reviews)

• Store Price

Optimum performance and advanced frame technology make the Helix rise above the rest. The Lynskey pioneered Helix tubing technology, with its unique spiral shape, creates a remarkably light, stiff and stable platform. Built around competition geometry for aggressive riding, the frame utilizes a Helix down tube, top tube and seatstays which resist torsional forces and impart excellent stability, precise handling and a power to the pedals that will no doubt remind you why you chose to start riding in the first place.

Submitted by Douglas Gardner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    Performance, fit, comfort, stability - Matches my riding style perfectly. The right bike for A/BB group rides and the occasional century.

Weaknesses:    Version prior to 2013 may not accommodate 25mm tires

Bottom Line:
I took delivery of my new Helix a few weeks ago from Just Riding Along Bike Shop in Laytonsville, MD and I couldn't be happier with the bike and the service I received. Coming from a carbon race bike I had some concerns about stiffness but I needed to boost comfort for my longer rides. Travis, from JRABS, knows my riding style and current bike so he pointed me toward the Helix. Researching Lynskey and checking with Travis' Lynskey customers confirmed this was the right choice for me. Of particular use were the reviews by Pez Cycling News from a few years ago and the ti shootout article in Bicycle Quarterly from this past winter.

Here's a picture of my bike: "http://www.pinterest.com/pin/365143482258948575/"

The resulting bike and build have been nothing short of excellent. I don't think the fit and performance could be any better matched to me even if I had spec'd a custom frame. Seat is nicely centered on the post and my preferred bars are right where they should be without unsightly stacks of spacers. I've lost no performance, gained comfort, and ride measurably faster. It feels like I'm in tune with the bike and can put more power into it without beating myself up. This is truly transformational. Thank you crafting such finely tuned machine.

Favorite Ride:   Montgomery County Ag Preserve

Purchased At:   Just Riding Along Bi

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cervelo

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Chorus, Enve 2.0 forks, Thomson Elite X2 stem, Thomson Elite seat post, American Classic 420 rims, Deda Zero bars, Fizik seat, Ultegra pedals

Submitted by Ry

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Combination of frame geometry and straight bladed forks makes turning and cornering razor sharp.
I have an extremely bad neck and back from a motorcycle wreck, and the smoothness of the ride is amazing.
Feels like nothing I've ever ridden before. This is what I imagine nights with Giselle must feel like.
Best of all, when sprinting up hills out of the saddle, my previous cf bike would hop and skitch all over the place.
Not so with the Helix. Rear wheel stays firmly on the steet. Simply amazing feel.

Weaknesses:    Huh?

Bottom Line:
Thanks, United Airlines, for killing my carbon frame.
Otherwise I never would have gotten this beauty.

Submitted by EK a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    - exceptional craftsmanship
- timeless looks
- great customer service & advice

Weaknesses:    Quality comes at a price.

Bottom Line:
The Helix demonstrates what happens when people do what they love, rather than do what they're told. Craftsmanship is exceptional. Ride quality is outstanding. No road buzz, and very laterally stiff when its time to sprint or bridge.

Buy one. And take the advice of the Lynskey team when it comes to key build items like headset, fork & seatpost. Remember, you're making a long-term investment, not buying a carbon bike made in some other corner of the world, where all you're left with in a few years are the components that were bolted to it.

Build it up yourself if that's your thing. I did, and it deepened my appreciation for what the Lynskeys have created.

Then fit it and forget it...you'll feel like you've been riding the Helix for years.

One cautionary note: the headtube angle/fork rake may result in low-speed contact between your toes and the front wheel. Only an issue if you're buying this bike to ride around in parking lots. At speed it hasn't fazed me.

Favorite Ride:   Horseshoe Bay

Dura ace/ultegra compact groupset
Krysrium wheelset

Submitted by cidney

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    The frame is solid and indestructible yet is able to cushion the potholes on the road. The fork is lightweight and smooths out the ride. The bike goes fast.

Weaknesses:    The company. According to their website, they have a scale in which you need to decide according to your height and weight which size frame you need. According to their scale I would take a Medium frame. I bought the frame and it is a good frame, but it is TOO BIG for me. I contacted the company to make an exchange, it was past the 60 day warranty, yet this company will do nothing to make things right. BEWARE if you purchase anything from this company. They do not take care of you the consumer yet make it seem that they do. When you need new decals BEWARE, they told me it would cost me $50. after I spent over $3,000. Go figure

Bottom Line:
The product is good, but the business practices of this company are terrible. Be careful when doing business. I reported them to the BBB and they have yet to respond.

Submitted by Donovan Jones a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2013

Strengths:    One of the best frames full stop, but what makes this better than most is the beyond reproach attention to detail and customer service from the Lynskey team

Weaknesses:    Only wish I could have had one of these years ago, but its worth the wait

Bottom Line:
A stiff ride but is not as harsh as carbon, have done 200km plus rides and the geometry still allows you to be comfortable. All the power transferred into the pedals is evident in the responsive handling of the bike. If you want a bike that lasts, is not made out of plastic and comes with world wide support from the guys that make the frame look no further. Donny from Lynskey is the man, 100% customer satisfaction all the way.....already thinking about another lynskey for the stable....keep up the good work.