Lynskey Performance Designs Peloton Road Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Peloton’s slightly relaxed geometry, longer top tube and taller head tube is made for riders who prefer to stretch out a bit and relax aboard their sleek titanium steed. An ample wheelbase is provided and the frame/fork combo easily handle tires up to 28c for smooth rolling a wide variety of terrain.

• Certified Aerospace Grade 3Al/2.5V straight gauge titanium tubing
  • Durable Industrial Mill finish
  • Easily accommodates up to 700x28c tires
  • Wright-style dropouts for 9mm QR axles
  • Bosses for two water bottle cages
  • Accepts 1-1/8"" fork steerer tubes
  • 68mm bottom bracket, English threading

Submitted by charles a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    light, fast and Very comfortable

Bottom Line:
Last year I rode the Triple Bypass on a high end aluminum frame and decided I needed to upgrade to something softer. The Lynskey frame is perfect. I added a few ounces in weight, but the ride is softer and more comfortable for those long days cranking up hills but is still stiff enough to get out of the saddle and rock my way up the steeper sections when I need to. My only regret with this bike is that I waited so long to step up to titanium.

Favorite Ride:   long hill climbing days

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Submitted by Froze a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    Very comfortable, stable, a better bike than the engine, priced right, made in the USA

Weaknesses:    The rider

Bottom Line:
I got my Peloton through Adrenalin Bikes in May of 2013 (not 2012 as listed below) because I wanted some options that Lynskey direct could not do, read bike setup for more detail. I don't think the 105 is a weakness at all, it represents the best component package for the money and is considered the workhorse of the Shimano line. The only weakness which I can't degrade the rating for because everyone is different was the saddle, I replaced the saddle with a Fizik shortly after I got the bike. The whole package including pedals and a bunch of accessories I ordered came to $3,100, I couldn't find anything at any LBS that even came close to this deal.

I examined the bike after I first got it and the welds were better than what I saw coming out of Asia. The bike was very easy to put together out of the box, took me about 45 minutes. After riding it now for about 4 months I can honestly say it rides better in terms of comfort and handling than any of my road bikes except a couple of touring bikes I have are a tad more comfortable but only when the touring bikes are loaded. I tested my bike against a friends Serrota TI bike and he rode mine, we both concluded that we couldn't tell the difference except mine seemed to handle a bit better, more sure footed in fast sharp turns, that may be the fork? But the Serrota cost my friend a lot more money 5 years ago then the Lynskey cost me. On hard out of the saddle sprints the bottom bracket felt stiff without a hint of flex of the chain rubbing on the front derailleur like some of my steel bikes do. On long rides of over 100 miles the bike was very comfortable, I did have an issue with shoe comfort but that wasn't a fault of the bike. The bike does not make you feel tired or beat up after a ride like aluminium or even carbon fiber bikes I've had or tried.

I struggled with the idea of spending so much money for a bike because I'm not a racer, I'm an old guy in my 60's, but after riding it all these months I'm glad I got it. I use to race and I know this bike can be raced on easily while not beating you up like a full on race geometry frame would do. Titanium is a lifelong material unlike the two main frame materials found on the market today, it won't rust, crack, corrode, delaminate, or smell bad in warm weather. I like the headbadge, it's classy and classic looking at the same time, I also liked the decals, their simple without being over imposing like the billboard bikes you see a lot of today. I've gotten several comment out on the road about my bike, one guy even talked to me for about an hour as we rode about the bike.

Talk to the people at Lynskey, their very nice people there, or go to Adrenalin if you want more options at order time they were also very nice. You won't be disappointed in purchasing this bike or one other Silver series, if you want a slightly more aggressive geometry then look at the Breakaway, or if you want a cross or touring bike then look at the Viale. I'm actually considering when I do go touring cross country to sell my touring bikes and getting the Viale instead, but that's a ways down the road yet.

Congratulations to Lynskey and his team for making a titanium bike that more people could afford and enjoy!!

Favorite Ride:   anywhere the wind takes me

Purchased At:   Adrenalin Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Test rode two friends bikes who have Titanium bikes, a Motobecane and a Serrota, got to ride these for quite a few miles, later when I got the Lynskey we all rode each others bikes and we all leaned towards the Lynskey as the overall winner.

Bike Setup:   105 silver (not the typical black) components, with Ultegra rear derailleur, Cane Creek 110 headset, Shimano R500 silver wheels, Enve 2.0 fork, Fizik Aliante saddle, Speedplay Frog pedals, Lezyne Road Drive pump and water bottle cages.

Submitted by Simon Fisher (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2013

Strengths:    Very comfortable ride. Suitable for commuting or bunch riding on the weekends. Very well finished frame, with very neat welds and nicely finished. The decals are understated but prominent enough. The bike handles high speeds very well and is stable and predictable on descents with no high-speed wheel wobble experienced yet. The frame is extremely price competitive, and it will suit bike builds from recreational rider gruppos using 105 to Dura Ace/Athena to SuperRecord/Rival to Red. As with all Ti frames, the unpainted stock- standard version supplied by Lynskey looks superb and is a real head turner.

Weaknesses:    None detected yet. I would prefer to have the head badge machined into the head tube than to have it affixed to the exterior. That is just a personal preference of a stylistic nature.

Bottom Line:
I bought and used the Lynskey Peleton frame (size M/L) to build up my commuter bike (with Ultegra and Fulcrum Quatro wheels). The ride on the Lynskey Peleton is similar to the Lynskey Cooper 2011 which I also own (size M/L too). The Lynskey Peleton is fairly good at minimising road buzz and it is comfortable. The frame is stiff but not overly so and it tracks well with no discernible understeering or oversteering. There is no sensation of any loss of power from the pedals through to the wheels through the cranks and bottom bracket, so hills aren't so daunting. For identical frame sizes between my 2 Lynskeys, the Lynskey Peleton has a nearly 3 cm longer wheelbase, so it is quite stable. I think this bike would best suit riders who want it for longer Gran Fondos or commuting purposes, but the bike would certainly not be out of place on group rides. If you are contemplating buying it, put on the best possible groupset your money can buy because the frame won't disappoint in terms of carrying it well. This frame would definitely suit a first-time Ti owner. While I am a devoted Ti buff, I highly recommend the Lynskey Peleton as it won't disappoint. Congratulations to Lynskey Performance Designs for conceiving a nicely designed and executed frame at an affordable price point.

Favorite Ride:   Just riding it is fun!!!

Purchased At:   Lynskey Performance

Similar Products Used:   Lynskey Cooper 2011.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra; Fulcrum Quatro wheels; Ritchey 100 mm stem; Lynskey seatpost. Weight is 8.2 kg. The unadorned frame weighs 1.3 kg.

Submitted by Wayne

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2013

Strengths:    This is a great frame set, one worthy of upgrading to higher level components. Still, for $2,200, the whole package is very good as is. (It would make an excellent first road bike.)

Weaknesses:    Wheel set is heavy -- the Aksium upgrade is well worth the expense. Decals should be seen as temporary -- no more permanent than are price tags. I'm having them removed, leaving only the Lynskey head badge.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike at Roaring Mouse Cycles in San Francisco (great shop!!!) while on vacation. (I'm enough of a bike snob that I won't rent the "shopping cart" bikes available along the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf, but that's a personal issue.) I ended up loving this frame so much that I am upgrading it significantly. I have already installed Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels and the ENVE 2.0 fork (at Roaring Mouse Cycles). Shipping to my LBS (Outspokin' in Columbia, SC -- another great shop!!!) where I will have Dura Ace 9000 installed (Brian, the owner of the shop, is THE bike expert in our part of the world). With a few cockpit changes thereafter, this bike will be a sub 16.5 lb. bike. I know this is supposed to be a "comfort" bike, as far as road bikes go, but the Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels make it super fast. Long story short: I am glad I found, and was able to try out, the Lynskey Peloton.

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Independent Fabrications Planet X (steel), Colnago World Cup, Specialized Roubaix.

Submitted by Kyle Forrest

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    Affordable ti frame, US made, unconditional lifetime Warranty? Sounds like a bargain to me!

Weaknesses:    105 groupset? not really a weakness but to some maybe

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike up a few days ago from a LBS to have something a little less aggresive than my Tarmac, and its definitely a really great ride! I'm not going to gripe about the seat, it isn't bad, but l can't stand when someone complains about a stock seat. Change it if you don't like it! I plan on upgrading it to Sram Rival in the future, but the 105 is nice, and its ALL 105, which is a nice touch. It has a nice upright feel for longer rides without feeling too relaxed. And to top it all off, its made in the USA? come on now, you'd have to be nuts not to appreciate a ti frame made in the US for less than 4 grand. Nice marketing move by Lynskey, and I'll be happy to say ill be riding this for a very long time.

Sportscaster mispronouncing the whole peloton!

I'm not sure who this douche is on the microphone with Bob Roll announcing the Criterium Du Dauphine but if I hear him say "Alessandro DiMarKEE" one more time, I don't know if I'll be able to control myself.Read More »

Converting 99 Schwinn Peloton to 1" threadless carbon fork & headset...

I am somewhat new to wrenching on headsets and forks. I have a wonderful 99 Schwinn Peloton 853 that came with an aluminum fork. Since there's already documented issues with the JIS crown race/ISO headset, and I'm tired of quill stems anyways, I'm thinking of just converting altogether to thread ... Read More »

Peloton mag - Free digital subscription

free subscription to the digital version [url=http://www.pelotonmagazine-digital.com/pelotonmagazine/?u1=PAL12]Peloton[/url]Read More »

The truth about doping in the pro peloton

Well, at lease we know what happened now... [url=http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/usadas-armstrong-reasoned-decision-full-text_256618]USADA’s Armstrong Reasoned Decision full text[/url] you can read the affidavits on the USADA's homepage at usada.org (they are actually more in ... Read More »

The truth about doping in the pro peloton

Well, I guess we finally know what happened: [url=http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/usadas-armstrong-reasoned-decision-full-text_256618]USADA’s Armstrong Reasoned Decision full text[/url] You can read the associated affidavits on the USADA's homepage at usada.orgRead More »