Lynskey Performance Designs R230 Road Bike

4.94/5 (97 Reviews)

The Lynskey R230’s competition-tuned tubeset delivers smooth power transfer and confidence-inspiring steering. Its semi-compact geometry offers lots of stand over and the bi-axially ovalized down tube boosts bottom bracket stiffness for enhanced power transfer. By curving and ovalizing the seat stays the R230 is fantastic balance of comfort and performance that will go long and fast with ease.

Submitted by Ken Horii

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2015

Strengths:    I was not used to a taller head tube, but as a consequence ride without any spacers and the height is perfect and stiffer with the stem "slammed". The shaped tubes provide enough efficient stiffness for racing, but the fact that it is titanium and the curved seat stays and top tube shaping make the bike comfortable. Just as many have observed: efficiently stiff but also compliant for long rides or rougher roads. It is also beautifully crafted- welds and overall finish is excellent.

Weaknesses:    I have only had my bike built up and riding for about a month. If I were a serious racer I would be concerned about the weight (which is not unreasonable but of course not as svelte as carbon) but as an occasional club racer and fast road rider on mixed surfaces, this frame works fantastically. The weight penalty of ti over carbon is obvious, but unless you are a Cat 1 or 2 racer, is about the only weakness this frame possesses.

Bottom Line:
-Comfortable on long rides over rough roads.
-Stiff enough to race- efficient- no flex due to shaped tubing.
-Superbly assembled and finished.
-A bit extra weight is only a penally if you want a sub 15 lb racing machine.
-With Campy Record 10 spd carbon group set, Eurus wheels and carefully selected finishing parts my bike is just over 16lbs with pedals.
-I have owned 2 Litespeed frames- this R230 is stiffer and better built.

Submitted by Terry Westerman

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2015

Strengths:    Sharp looking bike and a great ride. Will last me a long, long time. Lynskey has a great website with chat feature to answer all your questions. Very friendly people!

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
I spent several weeks reviewing my options before purchasing the Lynskey R230 road bike frame. The folks at Lynskey were very patient with my endless stream of questions. (The chat feature on their website is fantastic!) This was my first build and I had a ton of questions. The bike is finished and is a dream machine...at least for my skill level. Enve fork and SRAM Force 22 group. I have a full riding schedule this year of club rides, MS Bike and the Hincapie Fondo to name a few, and can't wait put a bunch of miles on this bike.

Submitted by Hedley

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2015

Strengths:    Ride quality, build quality, visual appeal. Finishing touches are excellent - including monogrammed rear brake bridge.

Weaknesses:    Very few, and minor. I'm not that into the stickers. Sorry, couldn't really find much else I would change.

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to give Lynskey a great big shout out. I bought a R230 last year and built it up with a spec list of individually chosen components. This is without a doubt the best bike I have ever owned, and ever will own. I now have no compulsion whatsoever to buy another bike, because riding this one gives me so much pleasure and enjoyment. First big ride (165km) I got off at the end feeling like a million bucks. I'm sure part of this is an increase in fitness, but there were none of the issues of doing the same distance on a "hard work" bike. I love it.
The local bike shop who did the build for me liked it so much they took some pictures - you can check them out here, although you guys see these bikes every day so probably don't get as wound up as a lot of us Aussies when we see another one !
Thanks for building great quality, beautiful to look at, fantastic to ride and thoroughly awesome frames.
If I do ever buy another bike, it will very likely be another Lynskey

Submitted by Stuart a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2015

Strengths:    Very well made. Does everything well. Subtle understated beauty.

Weaknesses:    Can be expensive, if you're not patient enough to wait for a good deal.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden off and on since 1990. I've had all kinds of bikes over the years, and used to work as a mechanic in a

shop. So, I have a pretty good history of cycling under my belt.

About 8 months ago I returned to road riding after a number of years involved in other sports. I didn't have a bike

at the time and I wasn't sure if I would be back into riding "whole hog", so I decided to test the waters first by

buying a used bike off Craigslist. That bike was a pretty generic carbon job with very run of the mill components

(Campy Centaur / Sram Rival) and very basic 2000g wheels.

The problem with that bike was the frame was too big and the geometry was too aggresive for my 46 year old body to

adapt to. It caused neck pain, in addition to just feeling "off". Still I soldiered on as best I could.

I then decided I should try something in my actual correct size and with a more relaxed geometry. I found a 2013

Specialized Roubaix on Craigslist for a very good price.

The Specialized was better. The position was better, it fit properly and it was

generally pretty comfortable. But, after several months on that, I felt kind of uninspired by it. Even though it's

pretty light and stiff, it's just sort of blah.

I started reading up on the new generation of Ti frames and decided that was the direction I wanted to go in. I patiently trolled Ebay and other classifieds until I spotted a 2010 R230 size medium frame being

sold along with a headset, carbon fork, and seatpost. The owner was willing to take $1175 for the whole

package, which works out to about $900 for just the frame. Can't beat that!

I built the frame up with the parts off bike #1 and have now been riding it for the last 3 weeks as much as possible.

This is just a great, great frameset.

It does everything so well. It's light, stiff, supple, solid, well made and beautiful. Even built up with well below

average parts, it rides wonderfully. I will eventually have all the best stuff on it, and can't even imagine what a

joy it will be then.

I don't care what anyone says about the weight of a carbon frame vs titanium (or any other material). The difference

in weight between this frame with the lightest possible build and a carbon frame with the lightest possible build will

be on the order of 12 - 14 ounces.

Anyone who says that means anything better be a pro racer with 4% bodyfat. I liken posers whining about 12 ounces on a bike frame to the people who say they'd prefer a Nissan GTR over a Ferarri 458 because the Nissan has a lateral G rating that is .02

higher. That's the spew of a numbers dork who couldn't get either car (or either bike) anywhere near the limits enough to see the

difference.

What's more, do you know what those extra 12 - 14oz means? It means that if you wreck (and anyone who rides near their limits probably will eventually) there's a good chance a carbon bike is either going to get ruined, or leave you wondering what damage may have been done. A good titanium frame is much much more likely to survive unscathed. I'm not talking about the bike falling over in the garage like a lot of retro grouches claim will comprimise carbon. Let's not be ridiculous in that direction either. I mean a good old fashion 25 mph, lay it down, wheel tacoing, road rash wreck. Something like that *is* going to be a problem for a lot of carbon jobs.

This frame just the right geometry and build / attributes for an all around bike. Not full on race aggresive, but also not "old man" upright style like the Roubaix. It's right in the middle. This means it is equally at home taking fast corners, sprinting up over rolling hills, coming down at 45+ mph or just casually tooling along at 12mph. It does it all with poise and confidence. It's not going to be the ride you'd want in a crowded high speed crit, but it was not designed for that. It also won't be as stiff at the absolute hammer limits for a 180lb+ sprint monster, but I'm not one of those. Refer back to the bit about the GTR vs the Ferarri if this concerns you.

I am reluctant to use adjectives like "alive" to describe this frame and another like "dead" to describe my carbon bike, but if I was forced to describe them, then it would be with words along those lines.

On top of everything else, the bike has a subtle understated elegence and beauty. The vast majority of riders don't really know what they're seeing when they look at it. Everyone is so used to seeing huge carbon tubes with garish decals all over them. Those will get you noticed, no doubt... If that's important to you. They'll get you noticed as a poser much faster if you don't ride well.

My Roubaix is now up for sale, and the money I get back for that will go for the first round of upgrades on the R230. I'm thinking some Dura Ace carbon clinchers, and the rest will go in the fund for an eventual group swap to Sram Red or Campy Record. What a bike that will be!

Purchased At:   Used from private pa

Bike Setup:   Campy Centaur / Sram Rival Group.
Pinarello F3 Wildcat wheels (these are slightly better than junk).

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2014

Strengths:    Climbs well, descends well and is very comfortable (ENVE 2.0 Fork is a great complement to this frame)

Weaknesses:    Not as light as carbon frames

Bottom Line:
After reading all these reviews, and having owned numerous high end titanium (and a few carbon) frames, I had extremely high expectations for this frame. I'm happy to report that so far it has exceeded all of them. It is very responsive climbing (which was noticed by my riding buddies right off the bat) and also descends like "its on rails". And... at the same time it is very comfortable and with the "etched" graphics and the beautiful welds it is really cool looking and draws comments everywhere.

The ENVE 2.0 fork is a terific complement to this frame. The fit of this large frame is perfect for my 6' tall proportions.

Best ride I have owned. Highly recommend to anyone who appreciates fine craftmanship and is looking for a great all around ride.

Favorite Ride:   Tidepools