Lynskey Performance Designs R230 Road Bike

4.94/5 (93 Reviews)

The Lynskey R230’s competition-tuned tubeset delivers smooth power transfer and confidence-inspiring steering. Its semi-compact geometry offers lots of stand over and the bi-axially ovalized down tube boosts bottom bracket stiffness for enhanced power transfer. By curving and ovalizing the seat stays the R230 is fantastic balance of comfort and performance that will go long and fast with ease.

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2014

Strengths:    Climbs well, descends well and is very comfortable (ENVE 2.0 Fork is a great complement to this frame)

Weaknesses:    Not as light as carbon frames

Bottom Line:
After reading all these reviews, and having owned numerous high end titanium (and a few carbon) frames, I had extremely high expectations for this frame. I'm happy to report that so far it has exceeded all of them. It is very responsive climbing (which was noticed by my riding buddies right off the bat) and also descends like "its on rails". And... at the same time it is very comfortable and with the "etched" graphics and the beautiful welds it is really cool looking and draws comments everywhere.

The ENVE 2.0 fork is a terific complement to this frame. The fit of this large frame is perfect for my 6' tall proportions.

Best ride I have owned. Highly recommend to anyone who appreciates fine craftmanship and is looking for a great all around ride.

Favorite Ride:   Tidepools

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Serotta, Trek, Litespeed, Merlin, Spectrum, Calfee

Bike Setup:   SRAM Force 22 group with compact gearing. ENVE 2.0 fork. Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheels with 25c Conti Gran Prix tires. Ritchey post, stem, handlebars and Speedplay zero pedals

Submitted by Dennis

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2014

Strengths:    Stability, predictability, craftsmanship, durability, and comfort

Weaknesses:    Pricey & heavier than carbon. Needs a more modern BB housing and head tube.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2014 R230 frameset.

I built it up with DA7900 group, Enve 2.0 fork, HED Ardennes SL wheelset, and Ritchey carbon cockpit and seat post.

This is a fabulous frame set for club rides, centuries, gran fondos, and multi day tours. Handling is fantastic, especially in long, fast descents. Tracks rock solid with no tendency to be "nervous" or wander. I've had several other quality road bikes, but none have handled as well as the R230. I've ridden several very hot, very bumpy centuries this season, and have not gotten beat up or saddle sore. The comfort is outstanding.

It climbs very well -- better than any of my previous bikes -- but I think it would be better yet with a more modern bottom bracket housing and tapered headtube, like the R350. But, it is a great all around bike and I'm not complaining.

As equipped, it weighs in at 15.2 without the pedals, which I think is respectable for a small non-carbon frame build.

The welds are flawless and the bare frame is a work of art.

Submitted by Scott Haman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth. Going over tar and chip roads is like going over a freshly paved bike path. SMOOTH. I was expecting an improvement, but the experience was surprisingly smooth. I used the same wheels/tires on a steel bike before the R230. After receiving the R230, I put the same wheels/tires on the bike, and the ride was vastly superior. This must come from the frame or seatpost, or most likely, the combination of the two... I'm 37 and ride about 100 - 200 miles/wk. So I'm looking forward to saving some and wear and tear on my body as I approach 40.

Fast. I wanted this frame, out of the Lynkskey family, because I didn't want to sacrifice performance for comfort. Mission accomplished. I'm very happy with how the bike climbs and how the bike handles.

Packaging. Ordered via website. They know what they are doing when they pack these bikes for shipment. Kudos to Lynskey.

Weaknesses:
Customer service. Placed at least 10 phone calls, following my online order through Lynskey.com, to keep tabs on production and ship date. Took 4 weeks from order to ship out. The burden was always on me to follow up, and when I didn't, things didn't move along on their own.

At the end I was told the bike would be complete and ship on a Wednesday. The following Monday (no bike) I call, and am told the bike was completed the prior Wednesday but has been sitting in the shipping department...and would ship out that day. WTF. Nice people, but I expect better.

Bottom Line:
Went from a steel frame with 105 group, which I enjoyed....to the R230 with Ultegra. It made me a little uneasy spending so much a bike, but I suspect that feeling will fade over time as the miles pile up.

Great bike!

Purchased At:   lynskeyperformance.c

Bike Setup:   Lynskey R230 M frame, Ultegra 6800.

Submitted by Philip Carson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth, beautiful, classy, and plenty stiff enough for anything I can throw at it. After riding a carbon frame for a decade, the first thing I noticed was that the ride is quiet and not "rattling".

Weaknesses:    The titanium Enve seat post is fine- if you get the instructions. Lynskey should include instructions when it ships the product.The frame is slightly heavier than a carbon frame, but I just need to lose one pound of body fat to even it out.

Bottom Line:
I expect this bike to last me a lifetime. No disappointmets at all.

Favorite Ride:   Golden BC

Purchased At:   Lynskey website

Bike Setup:   Bought frame only, built up with my own Ultegra 6800 groupo and wheels. I went for the matte finish with no decals, so whatever is not matte grey is black. It has a nice sleeper look, or maybe velo-batman.

Submitted by Chris C. Decatur, GA. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2014

Strengths:    I think the first thing that needs to be mentioned is the people at Lynskey are knowledgeable and great to work with. I've had nice bikes before but the organization was not nearly as user friendly as Lynskey Performance and to me that's a very important part of the equation. I've had the bike about a year now and I love it. I'm a heavier rider at 220 lbs and this bike works really well for me. It's pretty darn light for a large frame and it's very stable descending and cornering and very comfortable for long days in the saddle. It's a great all around frame and I'm really pleased with the quality. This frame definitely deserves the high praises it keeps getting in the reviews.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
These days there are many choices for manufacturers and frame materials. I chose Lynskey because of their history and reputation, and because it's an American made product. I would choose them again because I had a great experience with them and I’m happy with the product delivered. I chose titanium because I like the ride quality it delivers and it basically lasts forever.