Lynskey Performance Designs R230 Road Bike

4.93/5 (90 Reviews)

The Lynskey R230’s competition-tuned tubeset delivers smooth power transfer and confidence-inspiring steering. Its semi-compact geometry offers lots of stand over and the bi-axially ovalized down tube boosts bottom bracket stiffness for enhanced power transfer. By curving and ovalizing the seat stays the R230 is fantastic balance of comfort and performance that will go long and fast with ease.

Submitted by Philip Carson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth, beautiful, classy, and plenty stiff enough for anything I can throw at it. After riding a carbon frame for a decade, the first thing I noticed was that the ride is quiet and not "rattling".

Weaknesses:    The titanium Enve seat post is fine- if you get the instructions. Lynskey should include instructions when it ships the product.The frame is slightly heavier than a carbon frame, but I just need to lose one pound of body fat to even it out.

Bottom Line:
I expect this bike to last me a lifetime. No disappointmets at all.

Favorite Ride:   Golden BC

Purchased At:   Lynskey website

Bike Setup:   Bought frame only, built up with my own Ultegra 6800 groupo and wheels. I went for the matte finish with no decals, so whatever is not matte grey is black. It has a nice sleeper look, or maybe velo-batman.

Submitted by Chris C. Decatur, GA. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2014

Strengths:    I think the first thing that needs to be mentioned is the people at Lynskey are knowledgeable and great to work with. I've had nice bikes before but the organization was not nearly as user friendly as Lynskey Performance and to me that's a very important part of the equation. I've had the bike about a year now and I love it. I'm a heavier rider at 220 lbs and this bike works really well for me. It's pretty darn light for a large frame and it's very stable descending and cornering and very comfortable for long days in the saddle. It's a great all around frame and I'm really pleased with the quality. This frame definitely deserves the high praises it keeps getting in the reviews.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
These days there are many choices for manufacturers and frame materials. I chose Lynskey because of their history and reputation, and because it's an American made product. I would choose them again because I had a great experience with them and I’m happy with the product delivered. I chose titanium because I like the ride quality it delivers and it basically lasts forever.

Similar Products Used:   Serotta Legend Ti

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 9000

Submitted by Karen Cassells

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Strengths:    I rode a high end carbon fiber cycle prior to the purchase of the R230. I thought I was in heaven until I purchased my R230. This is the smoothest, most wonderful riding machine I have ever owned. I have increased both my speed and my miles since the purchase.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm a recreational rider but I pack on the miles. Don Erwin from the Home Office, where I made my purchase, guided me through the process. I needed to transfer components to the new R230 frame and he made the experience painless. He spoke with my bike shop to keep all the details straight. I would suggest any female rider, to call and you'll feel comfortable and confident with your purchase.

Submitted by Jason Scholz

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2014

Strengths:    Remarkable value, handmade in USA, a ton of reference material, great customer support...I could go on.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet. To get this level of performance you have to spend $$, and this bike outperformed others I tested that were more expensive.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 46 year old endurance and pleasure cyclist. After riding aluminum frames for most of my life, I wanted to build my dream bike. I tried a lot of carbon frames and while they were nice, they felt sterile to me. I decided that a titanium frame would suit my needs, and after two months of research I chose the R230. Absolutely the best investment I have ever made. I beat three personal bests the first week I had it. If you're in the market for a high end frame, do yourself a favor and check out Lynskey, you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Bike Setup:   R230 ML frame, Lynskey pro carbon fork, full Ultegra 6800 group.

Submitted by Paul a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth ride. The R230 absorbs the energy from lots of bumps in the road where we ride. The R230 frame is well suited to my body frame and height. Cool factor... none of the people I ride with own a Lynskey. They were impressed. Lifetime warranty. Help I received when purchasing the bicycle from Jim's Bicycle Shop in Cincinnati. Jim's introduced me to Lynskey. Glad they did!

Weaknesses:    Price…but since I could transfer my components (Shimano Ultegra) from my cracked carbon bike frame to the Lynskey R230, it didn't hurt quite so bad! That said, my investment in the Lynskey is well worth it.

Bottom Line:
I love my Lynskey R230. The first time I took her out for a shakedown cruise, 15 minutes into the ride I was literally smiling at the comfort of the ride. The R230 is designed really well for me. I am tall, 6' 2" and have a lower back injury that I deal with. It handles well on the downhills and is good on climbs. I felt great after each subsequent ride. Looking forward to the first long excursion.

I did not anticipate purchasing a new bicycle. I thought I had bought a bike nine years ago that I would have until I leave the planet. But my carbon frame cracked and I mourned. But I'm smiling again. My Lynskey R230 is a dream bike.

I did a lot of research. My wife said I spent more time on buying this bike than I did buying a car. I like the fact that it's American made in Tennessee. I live in Kentucky so we're neighbors. (have to admit I am a UK fan) I liked the Irish/English heritage of the Lynskey Family (planning a trip to Ireland for 2015) and I like supporting a family owned business.

The Lynskey video's are great too!

Glad to be part of the Lynskey family of riders.

Lynskey Sportive vs Lynskey R230

First I must state that, the Lynskey R230's description on its website "the ideal frame for the spirited enthusiast or club rider looking for a road frame that’s equally at home on a century and at the start line" exactly fits what I am looking for. However, having watched various videos by Lynskey ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 or R255

Hello I am interested in people's opinions on the respective merits of a Lynskey R255 compared with an R230. I'm currently riding a Giant Defy Advanced and am looking to upgrade to a Titanium. I'm 48, unfit but building fitness slowly. I don't see myself racing seriously but like long rides. I ri ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 or Lynskey Helix - Which Titanium bike

Hi I'm interested to hear people's opinions about these 2 bikes. I want a great general purpose bike that is not going to be found wanting depending on which direction i end up taking.Having said that, Long term, I see myself riding longer distance events rather than criteriums. I'm 48, 195 pds/8 ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 review

This review is for the Lynskey R230 titanium road bike. I probably should start with a little about me. I’m 54, 5’9” and 155 pounds. I was 212 on the 50th birthday. I’ve been riding for just under three years. I’m doing between 4-5k miles per year. My first bike was a Giant Defy Advanced 1 and it wa ... Read More »

Carbon or titanium seatpost on Lynskey R230

Greetings to you all, I am in the market to upgrade my seatpost on my R230. I am currently using a Thomson Elite in black but am looking at either an ENVE seatpost or the new Lynskey Ti post with the ENVE head on it. The cost is about the same for both items but I'd like people's opinions on ... Read More »