Lynskey Performance Designs R230 Road Bike

4.92/5 (79 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Lynskey R230’s competition-tuned tubeset delivers smooth power transfer and confidence-inspiring steering. Its semi-compact geometry offers lots of stand over and the bi-axially ovalized down tube boosts bottom bracket stiffness for enhanced power transfer. By curving and ovalizing the seat stays the R230 is fantastic balance of comfort and performance that will go long and fast with ease.

Submitted by Jeff Robinson

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Comfort, comfort, did I mention Comfort?

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike in the world, but to be honest, since buying the Lynskey, weight no longer seems to be something I worry about.

Bottom Line:
When the frame was delivered, it really stood out. The finish is excellent and it just looks so different to everything else, standing out in the sea of carbon!

My only disapointment was the weight, it came in heavier than the stated weight. My medium came in at 1.55Kg. I hasten to temper this, by now saying the weight is irrelevant, as having riden the bike for 6 months, I see no difference in the times taken to get up climbs on my regular routes, in some instances where the roads are poorly surfaced, I got quicker.

This brings me onto the big strength of this frame, its comfort. I live up in the lake district and we have what I call apple crumble roads, you know the ones, like who ever laid the tarmac, forgot to put the roller over it!

I also have a Willier Le Roi, frame weight about 900g, riding over these surfaces on this bike is not a comfortable experience, the lack of comfort means I can't keep the power on as much as I can on the Lynskey and it shows in the times on these poor quality roads.

At the end of a long ride, I find myself feeling so much better, my arms back and indeed legs feel so much fresher, its like the vibrations I feel on the carbon bike just pass out the side of the titanium frame.

The riding position is great, I'm the wrong side of 40 now, so really appreciatethe slightly more raised front end, it's no slouch, make no mistake, push this frame and it will respond, the short chain stays make it great in the climbs, and it decends like a demon, again the shock absorbing properties of the frame inspire confidence. I have it paired with a set of Easton's top of the range forks, wonderfully stiff, but again very comfortable.

I think i'd sum it up by saying, if you are a mere mortal, doing the odd sportif and Sunday club runs, this should feature on your list, what it gives up in weight to the carbon frames, it takes back in it's ability to speed over rough roads and leave you feeling fresh and hungry for more.

The life time crash replacment policy is a great bonus, this is a frame for life and I'm afraid my poor old carbon bike is now resigned to a life of hanging on the wall, I bought this as a training bike, but I just use it for everything, six months on and I'm still even going in and looking it over, it just looks so dammed Good!

I'm a convert!

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2014

Strengths:    Very light and nimble. Climbs like a champ. Extremely precise handling. A very forgiving ride. Excellent build quality.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
My R230 came direct from the factory (i live 90 mintues from the shop). It was a major upgrade from beloved Lemond Tourmalet. I am amazed at how responsive the handling is. The ultegra 6800 makes clmbing a pleasure and the superb handling makes the downhills exhilarating fun.

Submitted by shelby

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2013

Strengths:    The brush finish looks great, the bike has a high
quality feel.

Weaknesses:    none .

Bottom Line:
I've had my R230 for about a 4 weeks now and loving it, I live in the DC area that has lots of bike trails and with the R230 watch out here I come with the legs and now the bike to make all the carbon fiber biker` s move to the right this thing make you want to go fast and I'm 49 years old
but with the R230 move like 29, Lynskey take this thing back before I hurt my self .
what a great bike.

Submitted by Rick Giddish a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Good Quality welds, various frame sizes to choose from, made in the USA in my home state, a lifetime frame, replaceable rear derailleur hanger

Weaknesses:    Wished decals lasted longer and were not so expensive to replace

Bottom Line:
I have had my frame for over a year and put about 4000 miles on it. I ordered it with the ENVE forks and considered several Lynskey frames before choosing the R230 frame. It is the perfect bike for me - and I will keep it for as long as I ride. Carbon frames come and go but a Ti frame from Lynskey is a lifetime ride....
Frame is much more supple and transmitts less road vibration than the aluminum frame I had before. This is a great bike for doing longer rides with a comfortable riding position.

Favorite Ride:   Roan Moan

Purchased At:   Factory

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1.5

Bike Setup:   Sram Force, Zipp 404 Wheels, Enve forks, Enve Stem, Zipp handlebars, Conti 4000s tires, Lynskey seatpost, Selle Italia SLR seat, Cane Creek Headset, Chris King Bottom Bracket, King Titanium Bottle cages

Submitted by Leicagr8

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Strengths:    Understated, very comfortable, reasonable weight and really well built. Better made than all other Ti beasts of a similar price and when it's this good, there seems little point in paying more for Moots, Seven et cetera.

Weaknesses:    Nothing but wish I'd gone for the etched logo rather than the slightly delicate transfers.

Bottom Line:
Superb. Go for the Enve 2.0 forks and I like the Lynskey seat post (recently upgraded with an Enve head and now looking even better). Just upgraded to Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels (really good) and there's nothing left to change now! I thoroughly recommend BikeLab Richmond - excellent service.

Lynskey R230 review

This review is for the Lynskey R230 titanium road bike. I probably should start with a little about me. I’m 54, 5’9” and 155 pounds. I was 212 on the 50th birthday. I’ve been riding for just under three years. I’m doing between 4-5k miles per year. My first bike was a Giant Defy Advanced 1 and it wa ... Read More »

Carbon or titanium seatpost on Lynskey R230

Greetings to you all, I am in the market to upgrade my seatpost on my R230. I am currently using a Thomson Elite in black but am looking at either an ENVE seatpost or the new Lynskey Ti post with the ENVE head on it. The cost is about the same for both items but I'd like people's opinions on ... Read More »

Thoughts on torelli vs control tech fork combo on lynskey r230

Hello all, Long time lurker first time poster. I am purchasing a r230 lynskey ti road bike. It will have the torelli handlebar with a choice of either control tech or torelli full carbon forks. Do you guys have any opinions on what I should place on the bike? The other components on the bike ... Read More »

Painted Lynskey R230

My Cervelo has been sold via Craigslist, so now its time to begin my next dream build. What do you Ti lovers think of the beauty?Read More »

Lynskey R230 Sizing?

I have been riding a new Lynskey R230 since about Feb. I love the bike, but just recently dicsovered a crack in the chainstay tube. I dropped the bike off at the shop yesterday to return to Lynskey (hopefully that all goes smoothly). I have no idea if they will replace the tube or give me a new f ... Read More »