Lynskey Performance Designs R230 Road Bike

4.94/5 (100 Reviews)

The Lynskey R230’s competition-tuned tubeset delivers smooth power transfer and confidence-inspiring steering. Its semi-compact geometry offers lots of stand over and the bi-axially ovalized down tube boosts bottom bracket stiffness for enhanced power transfer. By curving and ovalizing the seat stays the R230 is fantastic balance of comfort and performance that will go long and fast with ease.

Submitted by Bob Burns a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2015

Strengths:    Comfort! I finish longer rides with less pain in the rear and numbness in the hands.
Smart geometry with tallish headtube
27.2 seatpost size
Threaded bottom bracket
Great customer service from Lynskey
Will last forever
Seems as speedy as anything else I have ridden.
Puts a smile on my face!

Weaknesses:    Titanium is not cheap, but Lynskey’s are a good value for Titanium. If you wait until the end of the year, like I did, Lynskey has some great closeout prices.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of a 2014 R230 bought in January of 2015.

I like a fast bike, but grew tired of bikes with punishing rides and handlebars dropped extremely low. I own a 1995 Litespeed Ocoee that is as good as the day I bought it, so when I thought of replacing my frame, I thought of titanium. Lynskey seemed the best value and was a like a cousin of my Ocoee.

I had the advantage of taking most of the parts off my old bike, so I have been able to do a nice comparison between a 7-year-old, stiff-as-heck Aluminum/Carbon Cannondale and this bike. The R230 is far more comfortable and I cannot say it feels any slower. I like this bike for fast 20-milers, but have also been enjoying some longer rides and look forward to my first century on this bike. Long distance and back-to-back rides are more comfortable and my usual butt-bone pain is gone.

I like to say the geometry on this bike is “smart”. It is race-like, but more forgiving and realistic for the everyday rider. I set up this bike with about a 1.5” seat to handlebar drop, which allows both moderate comfort and allows me to use the drops more often than my older bike. The tall head tube helps achieve this set up. One features that I did not expect to like so much was the compact geometry. It gives me much more confidence when out of the saddle and riding rougher terrain due to the improved stand-over. The BB is a tad lower than my old bike, so it is a bit more comfortable at stoplights.

I also like that this bike has a standard threaded bottom bracket, 27.2 seatpost and other features that made it compatible with many of my existing components, including an old Syncros Ti seatpost I had collecting dust.

There are lighter frames on the market, but the weight difference is not significant enough to go to a punishing frame that won’t last long. Still, the combination of the R230 frame and light Lynskey #1 Carbon fork was about the same as my old Cannondale SystemSix Frame and fork. Plus the frame is not where weight weenies really save the grams.

I plan on this being the last road bike I buy and intend to ride it for the next 20-plus years.

Favorite Ride:   Southern Ingham County, Michigan

Purchased At:   CRC - I do not recom

Similar Products Used:   1995 Litespeed Ocoee (similar only because it is titanium)

Bike Setup:   Lynskey #1 Pro Carbon fork, Sram Rival, Mavic Aksium wheels, Chris King headset, Syncros Titanium seatpost, Selle Italia Flit flow saddle, Continental GranPrix 4000s II 25c tires, Eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by yakfishet

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2015

Strengths:    Review for R240
Comfortable, nice handling, good all around platform thus far

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
Replaced my defy advanced frameset with the r240. Bar was set pretty high for me by the defy. 240 does not disappoint: it still allows for a comfortable but efficient position, buttery smooth, a little sharper handling than the defy but far from nervous. Very quiet ride...this is the first metal road bike i've had in over a decade..the silence is nice

Similar Products Used:   98 schwinn peloton 853, 03 kestrel talon, 05 aegis victory, 13 giant defy advanced

Submitted by MK a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2015

Strengths:    Ride, customer service (lynskey direct) quality, looks.

Bottom Line:
About me: 32, 5'8" 145-150lbs, 3-5 20-50 mile rides a week. I love climbing.
After years of being on steel and carbon I decided to use this winter to build a project bike. After months of research and looking at everything from a Trek Emonda to a Pegoretti, I decided on a Lynskey. I was curious to see if the ride of titanium could live up to the hype that I had read. Lynskey was having a winter sale so I felt the price was right to take the leap. Over the winter I switched out my Ultegra 6800 group from a Tarmac and added an Enve fork to the R230.
All I can say about my first ride is that titanium is where its at. I have never felt so 'in' a bike instead of riding 'on' a bike. The characteristics of this bike made me feel like I was locked in. The first ride I did on the R230 was on a 30 mile loop I know well. It involved two climbs, one averaging around 10% and the other steeper but shorter at 12%. It climbed beautifully, as well as my Tarmac. The bottom bracket is stiff enough for me but I'm not a big guy. On the flats it kept a solid 20-22mph pace and was smooth over the chip seal roads. I could feel the road but it was muted enough to not 'feel' the road at the end of the ride, if that makes sense. I have never felt this good after this ride on any other bike. The ride quality of titanium is everything I have read. The welds on the frame are neat and clean. I went with the matte finish, nothing fancy just a sturdy looking bike. The weight is hovering around 16.5lbs. Light enough for climbing but heavy enough for going back down. If you are on the fence about titanium, I'd say go for it. I feel like I have a bike that will last. Lynskey makes a solid bike and I had a very solid experience ordering from them.

Favorite Ride:   Anything hilly

Purchased At:   Lynskey direct

Bike Setup:   R230 frame(2014), Ultegra 6800 group, 3T bars,stem, post. Selle Italia seat.

Submitted by Ken Horii

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2015

Strengths:    I was not used to a taller head tube, but as a consequence ride without any spacers and the height is perfect and stiffer with the stem "slammed". The shaped tubes provide enough efficient stiffness for racing, but the fact that it is titanium and the curved seat stays and top tube shaping make the bike comfortable. Just as many have observed: efficiently stiff but also compliant for long rides or rougher roads. It is also beautifully crafted- welds and overall finish is excellent.

Weaknesses:    I have only had my bike built up and riding for about a month. If I were a serious racer I would be concerned about the weight (which is not unreasonable but of course not as svelte as carbon) but as an occasional club racer and fast road rider on mixed surfaces, this frame works fantastically. The weight penalty of ti over carbon is obvious, but unless you are a Cat 1 or 2 racer, is about the only weakness this frame possesses.

Bottom Line:
-Comfortable on long rides over rough roads.
-Stiff enough to race- efficient- no flex due to shaped tubing.
-Superbly assembled and finished.
-A bit extra weight is only a penally if you want a sub 15 lb racing machine.
-With Campy Record 10 spd carbon group set, Eurus wheels and carefully selected finishing parts my bike is just over 16lbs with pedals.
-I have owned 2 Litespeed frames- this R230 is stiffer and better built.

Submitted by Terry Westerman

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2015

Strengths:    Sharp looking bike and a great ride. Will last me a long, long time. Lynskey has a great website with chat feature to answer all your questions. Very friendly people!

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
I spent several weeks reviewing my options before purchasing the Lynskey R230 road bike frame. The folks at Lynskey were very patient with my endless stream of questions. (The chat feature on their website is fantastic!) This was my first build and I had a ton of questions. The bike is finished and is a dream machine...at least for my skill level. Enve fork and SRAM Force 22 group. I have a full riding schedule this year of club rides, MS Bike and the Hincapie Fondo to name a few, and can't wait put a bunch of miles on this bike.

Lynskey Sportive vs Lynskey R230

First I must state that, the Lynskey R230's description on its website "the ideal frame for the spirited enthusiast or club rider looking for a road frame that’s equally at home on a century and at the start line" exactly fits what I am looking for. However, having watched various videos by Lynskey ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 or R255

Hello I am interested in people's opinions on the respective merits of a Lynskey R255 compared with an R230. I'm currently riding a Giant Defy Advanced and am looking to upgrade to a Titanium. I'm 48, unfit but building fitness slowly. I don't see myself racing seriously but like long rides. I ri ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 or Lynskey Helix - Which Titanium bike

Hi I'm interested to hear people's opinions about these 2 bikes. I want a great general purpose bike that is not going to be found wanting depending on which direction i end up taking.Having said that, Long term, I see myself riding longer distance events rather than criteriums. I'm 48, 195 pds/8 ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 review

This review is for the Lynskey R230 titanium road bike. I probably should start with a little about me. I’m 54, 5’9” and 155 pounds. I was 212 on the 50th birthday. I’ve been riding for just under three years. I’m doing between 4-5k miles per year. My first bike was a Giant Defy Advanced 1 and it wa ... Read More »

Carbon or titanium seatpost on Lynskey R230

Greetings to you all, I am in the market to upgrade my seatpost on my R230. I am currently using a Thomson Elite in black but am looking at either an ENVE seatpost or the new Lynskey Ti post with the ENVE head on it. The cost is about the same for both items but I'd like people's opinions on ... Read More »