Lynskey Performance Designs R230 Road Bike

4.94/5 (103 Reviews)

The Lynskey R230’s competition-tuned tubeset delivers smooth power transfer and confidence-inspiring steering. Its semi-compact geometry offers lots of stand over and the bi-axially ovalized down tube boosts bottom bracket stiffness for enhanced power transfer. By curving and ovalizing the seat stays the R230 is fantastic balance of comfort and performance that will go long and fast with ease.

Submitted by David Speck a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2015

Strengths:    Comfortable, Light, Compliant Ride over harsh terrain, Strong long lasting frame, Customer Service

Bottom Line:
This is for the newer 2015 R240. I just purchased this bike (with the Ultegra 6800 groupo) a little over a month ago. What can I say except "WOW" When someone told me this bike could change my life as far as riding is concerned I was somewhat skeptical. But it was not a lie. This bike really did change my riding life for the better. I was riding an older aluminum frame, and I had long thought my next bike would be carbon fiber. A friend talked to me about titanium, and trip an hour away to Adrenaline Bikes sealed the deal. Titanium has all the benefits of carbon with none of the faults. I'm very much an amateur rider. So, much so that my typical avg mph on my normal route was 13mph, My first rides on my Lynskey and I was hitting 15mph avgs...And doing it comfortably. My old bike was a little less forgiving over cracked and bumpy pavement, and the geometry was more aggressive towards racing. The R240 soaks up bad terrain and I don't feel like my back was rattled to death.

I am now a customer for life with Lynskey. Which shouldnt be hard considering the longevity of their product!

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Bike Setup:   2015 Lynskey R240 with Ultegra 6800 Group set. Mavic Kyserium Elite Wheels, Continental Gator Skin Tires.

Submitted by Jim Richards a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2015

Strengths:    very light and strong, beautiful welding, comfortable geometry, great support from Lynskey, traditional threaded bottom bracket

Weaknesses:    a little pricey, the new 3D decals are not inspiring,

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new 240, my 2nd titanium road bike - the first one I have owned for 10 years. At first glance the tapered headtube and curved seat and chainstays caught my eye. The downtube is also ovalized at the headtube and the bottom bracet.
Overall the stiffness is excellent thanks to the overbuilt BB shell. Descending on the 240 is so smooth I thought I was going much faster than my actual speed. I was able to set up for corners without being bounced around due to the rock-solid 27.2 Ti seatpost. The frame is comfortable for century rides yet very fast and responsive and the flats and climbs.
Lynskey hit the jackpot with this model - the perfect bike for mixing it up on the weekend yet comfortable for long fast recreational rides. The quality and attention to detail will allow this bike to last a lifetime.

Bike Setup:   mavic SL wheels, Ulltegra components

Submitted by RON MEANS

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2015

Strengths:    great design, well constructed, the frame is a work of art, flawless welds and craftsmanship. Great value with Shimano Ultegra 6800 build. solid feeling ride, it makes my carbon Trek feel like a cheap toy.

Weaknesses:    not enough local bike shops with inventory to try before you buy.

Bottom Line:
Overall i couldn't be happier with my purchase or the bike itself. I feel this is a lifetime purchase and will still be worth alot when i pass it on to my grandkid(my boy doesn't ride). It is the talk at every ride, all my riding buddies want to ride it is the only downside.

Submitted by Bob Burns a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2015

Strengths:    Comfort! I finish longer rides with less pain in the rear and numbness in the hands.
Smart geometry with tallish headtube
27.2 seatpost size
Threaded bottom bracket
Great customer service from Lynskey
Will last forever
Seems as speedy as anything else I have ridden.
Puts a smile on my face!

Weaknesses:    Titanium is not cheap, but Lynskey’s are a good value for Titanium. If you wait until the end of the year, like I did, Lynskey has some great closeout prices.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of a 2014 R230 bought in January of 2015.

I like a fast bike, but grew tired of bikes with punishing rides and handlebars dropped extremely low. I own a 1995 Litespeed Ocoee that is as good as the day I bought it, so when I thought of replacing my frame, I thought of titanium. Lynskey seemed the best value and was a like a cousin of my Ocoee.

I had the advantage of taking most of the parts off my old bike, so I have been able to do a nice comparison between a 7-year-old, stiff-as-heck Aluminum/Carbon Cannondale and this bike. The R230 is far more comfortable and I cannot say it feels any slower. I like this bike for fast 20-milers, but have also been enjoying some longer rides and look forward to my first century on this bike. Long distance and back-to-back rides are more comfortable and my usual butt-bone pain is gone.

I like to say the geometry on this bike is “smart”. It is race-like, but more forgiving and realistic for the everyday rider. I set up this bike with about a 1.5” seat to handlebar drop, which allows both moderate comfort and allows me to use the drops more often than my older bike. The tall head tube helps achieve this set up. One features that I did not expect to like so much was the compact geometry. It gives me much more confidence when out of the saddle and riding rougher terrain due to the improved stand-over. The BB is a tad lower than my old bike, so it is a bit more comfortable at stoplights.

I also like that this bike has a standard threaded bottom bracket, 27.2 seatpost and other features that made it compatible with many of my existing components, including an old Syncros Ti seatpost I had collecting dust.

There are lighter frames on the market, but the weight difference is not significant enough to go to a punishing frame that won’t last long. Still, the combination of the R230 frame and light Lynskey #1 Carbon fork was about the same as my old Cannondale SystemSix Frame and fork. Plus the frame is not where weight weenies really save the grams.

I plan on this being the last road bike I buy and intend to ride it for the next 20-plus years.

Favorite Ride:   Southern Ingham County, Michigan

Purchased At:   CRC - I do not recom

Similar Products Used:   1995 Litespeed Ocoee (similar only because it is titanium)

Bike Setup:   Lynskey #1 Pro Carbon fork, Sram Rival, Mavic Aksium wheels, Chris King headset, Syncros Titanium seatpost, Selle Italia Flit flow saddle, Continental GranPrix 4000s II 25c tires, Eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by yakfishet

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2015

Strengths:    Review for R240
Comfortable, nice handling, good all around platform thus far

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
Replaced my defy advanced frameset with the r240. Bar was set pretty high for me by the defy. 240 does not disappoint: it still allows for a comfortable but efficient position, buttery smooth, a little sharper handling than the defy but far from nervous. Very quiet ride...this is the first metal road bike i've had in over a decade..the silence is nice

Similar Products Used:   98 schwinn peloton 853, 03 kestrel talon, 05 aegis victory, 13 giant defy advanced