Lynskey Performance Designs R255 Road Bike

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

The Lynskey R255 is comfort, handling, quickness, durability and lightness combined into one package. Built with a 3/2.5 seamless triple butted tube set that ensures a quick pace and a head tube angle that provides precise handling, the R255 is sure to keep you riding with a smile no matter the distance.

Within the realm of our Pro and Sport series, the R255 is the only non-shaped, fully round tube model that we offer. So many of you asked us to build that classic riding and looking, relaxed geometry, elegant frame, and we listened. Tire clearance for a 28c tire was also on your wish list, therefore the R255 should be the new bike to check all the boxes.

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2015

Strengths:    500 miles so far. The bike handles precisely and is very responsive to rider input. Ultegra groupset is sweet. Relaxed geometry means more upright position, which works well for me..The bike is precise yet very smooth; the most noticeable difference between this bike and my last bike, which was high-end carbon fiber, is that my entire body does not feel beat-up when I finish the ride. I now only get tired legs! Great customer service from Lynskey. Great customer service and fitting from Redbeard Bikes Brooklyn, NY. Overall, I am very pleased.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Great bike

Submitted by Ken Bauer

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2015

Strengths:    It's a beautiful frame. The geometry is more relaxed than on my prior bike, so I sit up straighter, which is much better for the bulging discs in my neck and low back. It climbs well, it tracks well, and it is very stable at 50 mph on curvy down hills. I had it built with the S&S couplers, and I haven't noticed any effects on stability or handling due to the couplers.

Weaknesses:    Due to the more relaxed geometry, it's a little slower than my prior bike, which was also Ti, but I don't really need to go 55+ mph down hill.

Bottom Line:
So far, I love the bike. I haven't ridden a century on it yet, but my neck and back always feel better after riding the R255 than they did for a comparable ride on my prior bike, which I also loved. After 1,000s of miles on my old bike, which I also loved, my spine doc told me to limit my riding because of the pressure on my bulging discs. Instead, I bought a recumbent and the R255. The R255 is much more fun to ride, especially up hills.

Submitted by Brian Coles

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Strengths:    I am 62 years and have owned and ridden carbon, steel and Ali bikes this is the best. Suggest you amticipate what your needs will be in say 10 years from now and realise that this bike will suit that purpose. Other reviews re smooth reonsive etc are correct and I won't bother to repeat.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
Great if you are in the UK I suggest a trip to Fatbirds in Norfolk is worthwhile. They have a good range of Ti bikes to try and are very friendly and knowledgeable. I have no connection with the shop other than getting them to build up a bike for me.

Submitted by Mcarver49 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2015

Strengths:    It is a beautiful frame, especially if you have an eye for the classic bicycle. As many have said, it is a very smooth ride. I've had aluminum, steel, and carbon and titanium is really the best ride, close to steel but subtlety better. While not weight-weenie light, it is light enough for everyone but the pro racer. The Pro Carbon fork is very stable. We have big mountains out here in the West and I have had it up to 50 mph and felt stable. Customer service is awesome! It is satisfying to talk directly with the manufacturer and to own a made-in-USA frame.

Weaknesses:    I've only had the bike a few weeks and have yet to find any weaknesses. I am still considering if the Lynskey saddle is a long-term component but so far it is fine. I am still learning how to keep the titanium polish!

Bottom Line:
All-in-all it is a great bike. I don't need the race geometry anymore as those days are over. It is a wonderful bike for riding the long miles comfortably and quick. It's smoothness and stability are what I needed and it fits the bill. Unless I learn of a rich uncle this will probably be my last bicycle and I'm expecting it to last a long time as the manufacture is high-end.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey R255, UItegra Compact 11-32, Pro Carbon fork, Speedplay pedals

Submitted by MK - Vermont

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2014

Strengths:    Beautifully crafted frame.
Wonderful ride.
Great value depending on group
Nice personal interaction with Lynskey

Weaknesses:    saddle that came with the bike needed to be updated as expected.
That's about it.

Bottom Line:
I like what another reviewer said about "smooth as silk". The bike just feels smooth and ready, uphill or down. Much more stable downhill than my previous carbon, BB30 bike and absolutely feels better climbing as well.
Looks gorgeous to me - elegant rather than flashy - and as noted above, just beautifully crafted, by American craftsmen!
I also had a wonderfully personal buying experience working with the people at Lynskey and my local dealer - Gene Bell, a real afficiando and craftsmen who runs a little shop, Belgen cycles in Richmond,VT if anyone is buying their Lynskey in New England.