Lynskey Performance Designs R255 Road Bike

4.93/5 (14 Reviews)

The Lynskey R255 is comfort, handling, quickness, durability and lightness combined into one package. Built with a 3/2.5 seamless triple butted tube set that ensures a quick pace and a head tube angle that provides precise handling, the R255 is sure to keep you riding with a smile no matter the distance.

Within the realm of our Pro and Sport series, the R255 is the only non-shaped, fully round tube model that we offer. So many of you asked us to build that classic riding and looking, relaxed geometry, elegant frame, and we listened. Tire clearance for a 28c tire was also on your wish list, therefore the R255 should be the new bike to check all the boxes.

Submitted by the night owl

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2017

Strengths:    I own a bunch of bikes, the one titanium in my stable, an Eddie Merckx Titanium, was getting a little long of tooth. I'd been pretty pleased with the Merckx so I decided to go with the same people (the guys who started Lynskey owned litepeed when my Merckx was built). Mine is custom built with a long top tube due to my very long torso and a longer head tube to protect the bone spurs in my neck. It also sports a level top in the manner that the good Lord intended. The workmanship is flawless, I didn't realize a ti bike could be this beautiful. They no longer make the R255 but I understand that the 265 is essentially the same bike with curved stays. Being a purist, I'm glad to own the 255. Mine is equipped with an Enve 1.0 fork, dura ace 7900 (2nd generation 10 speed) and hand built wheels which are Mavic open pros built over the group set 7900 hubs. It's a very classic bicycle and even has a Brooks B17N saddle. I truly love steel bicycles, owning a Reynolds 753 Paramount, a Serotta Nova Special, and a Guru New Steel. I always believed that the best bicycles were built out of steel, preferably lugged. That is until I finally allowed myself to fall in love with this bike. This Lynskey is quite simply the best bicycle I've ever owned. The bike is incredibly comfortable, but unlike carbon, it retains much, maybe even most, of the road feel that you get from high quality steel. I don't like to spend much time with both hands off the bars, but this bike's tracking gives me the comfort to ride hands free. The bike sports a geometry that you can quite literally sit in all day, but there's plenty of response when decide it's time to jump. I weigh 220 and there's no sign of bottom bracket flex in a hard standing climb. The best endorsement I can offer is that I've always enjoyed switching bikes every few days and never ride the same bike an extended period. Until now! I've been exclusively on the Lynskey for 2-3 weeks now and don't see that changing anytime soon

Weaknesses:    Like someone else said, weakness? I haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
This Lynskey offers impeccable construction, unbelievable comfort and plenty of performance. There's no doubt, it's beautiful to boot. The mechanic at the local shop where I bought it (I believe they're totally online now) calls it the Rolls Royce. That fits, but it's got plenty of performance built in as there is no way that this bike is a plodding limousine. And if you're like me and something a little different from what everybody else has fits your personality, this is truly the bike for you.

Submitted by L Utley

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2015

Strengths:    Impeccable craftsmanship. Exquisite welds. Amazing compliant ride qualities and very comfortable. Above and beyond customer service is the norm. They have set the bar very high when it comes to service and they deliver. As for the bike itself, its just plain beautiful to look at. It is also still a rarity amongst the group rides and major Gran Fondo events so, it draws attention in an understated elegant manner.

Weaknesses:    Really? Weaknesses? None whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
A fabulous all day long distance workhorse that is superbly comfortable. Yet, when I need to jump on it or stand to hammer up a steep grade....it responds confidently and with vigor. Descending at speed, it feels like it is on rails and instills a true sense of confidence as I carve my line. Build includes: Lynskey Ti Seat Post, Lynskey Pro Carbon Fork, Full Dura Ace 9000, Zipp 30's, Zipp Carbon Contour SL Bars and Zipp Carbon Stem. Flirted with other looker frame sets out there recently but quickly came back to my senses. There is nothing better out there. You would have to pry this Lynskey from my cold dead hands before I'd ever let it go.

Submitted by Greg V a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2015

Strengths:    I have 200 miles on my new R265. It is definitely faster than the Roubaix Sport and Trek FX 7.7 (on which I put drop bars). It glides better - probably because of the Mavik wheel set - and it is easier to ride uphill. I find myself cruising along about a mile per hour faster than on the previous bikes, and my average MPH on rides has increased. I am 62 and got back into bicycling late last year. I have recently completed two 50+ mile rides, which would have been more difficult with my older bikes. The Ultegra cassette and 11 gears seems to provide more choices in the speeds that I ride - from 15.5 to 20 mph. I have ridden 1,000 miles this year, and will probably ride another 500 this fall.

Weaknesses:    Having never ridden another $4,000 bike, I can't comment on weaknesses. As a matter of fact, I can't comprehend a weakness of the R265.

Bottom Line:
For comparison purposes, I test rode an upper level Tarmac when test riding the R265. For the type of riding that I do, solo 20 to 25 miles after work and a longer ride on weekends, I really enjoy the geometry and feel of the Lynskey. I am totally satisfied with my new bike, and will be selling the others.

Purchased At:   Tom's Pro Bikes

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra, Mavik Aksium Elite wheels

Submitted by Peter Sidell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2015

Strengths:    I decided I wanted a great bike that would also be tolerant of the poorly maintained roads of the mountains in western Sonoma county.
I added hydraulic disc brakes and the sram red grupo to the mix and couldn't be more satisfied.
The bike does a great job smoothing out the patched potholes of the Sonoma county roads.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a little heavier than carbon.

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased I made the decision to switch from carbon to titanium and believe the r265 was the ideal choice for me.

Purchased At:   0nline Lynskey

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2015

Strengths:    500 miles so far. The bike handles precisely and is very responsive to rider input. Ultegra groupset is sweet. Relaxed geometry means more upright position, which works well for me..The bike is precise yet very smooth; the most noticeable difference between this bike and my last bike, which was high-end carbon fiber, is that my entire body does not feel beat-up when I finish the ride. I now only get tired legs! Great customer service from Lynskey. Great customer service and fitting from Redbeard Bikes Brooklyn, NY. Overall, I am very pleased.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Great bike