Lynskey Performance Designs R255 Road Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

The Lynskey R255 is comfort, handling, quickness, durability and lightness combined into one package. Built with a 3/2.5 seamless triple butted tube set that ensures a quick pace and a head tube angle that provides precise handling, the R255 is sure to keep you riding with a smile no matter the distance.

Within the realm of our Pro and Sport series, the R255 is the only non-shaped, fully round tube model that we offer. So many of you asked us to build that classic riding and looking, relaxed geometry, elegant frame, and we listened. Tire clearance for a 28c tire was also on your wish list, therefore the R255 should be the new bike to check all the boxes.

Submitted by Ken Bauer

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2015

Strengths:    It's a beautiful frame. The geometry is more relaxed than on my prior bike, so I sit up straighter, which is much better for the bulging discs in my neck and low back. It climbs well, it tracks well, and it is very stable at 50 mph on curvy down hills. I had it built with the S&S couplers, and I haven't noticed any effects on stability or handling due to the couplers.

Weaknesses:    Due to the more relaxed geometry, it's a little slower than my prior bike, which was also Ti, but I don't really need to go 55+ mph down hill.

Bottom Line:
So far, I love the bike. I haven't ridden a century on it yet, but my neck and back always feel better after riding the R255 than they did for a comparable ride on my prior bike, which I also loved. After 1,000s of miles on my old bike, which I also loved, my spine doc told me to limit my riding because of the pressure on my bulging discs. Instead, I bought a recumbent and the R255. The R255 is much more fun to ride, especially up hills.

Submitted by Brian Coles

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Strengths:    I am 62 years and have owned and ridden carbon, steel and Ali bikes this is the best. Suggest you amticipate what your needs will be in say 10 years from now and realise that this bike will suit that purpose. Other reviews re smooth reonsive etc are correct and I won't bother to repeat.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
Great if you are in the UK I suggest a trip to Fatbirds in Norfolk is worthwhile. They have a good range of Ti bikes to try and are very friendly and knowledgeable. I have no connection with the shop other than getting them to build up a bike for me.

Submitted by Mcarver49 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2015

Strengths:    It is a beautiful frame, especially if you have an eye for the classic bicycle. As many have said, it is a very smooth ride. I've had aluminum, steel, and carbon and titanium is really the best ride, close to steel but subtlety better. While not weight-weenie light, it is light enough for everyone but the pro racer. The Pro Carbon fork is very stable. We have big mountains out here in the West and I have had it up to 50 mph and felt stable. Customer service is awesome! It is satisfying to talk directly with the manufacturer and to own a made-in-USA frame.

Weaknesses:    I've only had the bike a few weeks and have yet to find any weaknesses. I am still considering if the Lynskey saddle is a long-term component but so far it is fine. I am still learning how to keep the titanium polish!

Bottom Line:
All-in-all it is a great bike. I don't need the race geometry anymore as those days are over. It is a wonderful bike for riding the long miles comfortably and quick. It's smoothness and stability are what I needed and it fits the bill. Unless I learn of a rich uncle this will probably be my last bicycle and I'm expecting it to last a long time as the manufacture is high-end.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey R255, UItegra Compact 11-32, Pro Carbon fork, Speedplay pedals

Submitted by MK - Vermont

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2014

Strengths:    Beautifully crafted frame.
Wonderful ride.
Great value depending on group
Nice personal interaction with Lynskey

Weaknesses:    saddle that came with the bike needed to be updated as expected.
That's about it.

Bottom Line:
I like what another reviewer said about "smooth as silk". The bike just feels smooth and ready, uphill or down. Much more stable downhill than my previous carbon, BB30 bike and absolutely feels better climbing as well.
Looks gorgeous to me - elegant rather than flashy - and as noted above, just beautifully crafted, by American craftsmen!
I also had a wonderfully personal buying experience working with the people at Lynskey and my local dealer - Gene Bell, a real afficiando and craftsmen who runs a little shop, Belgen cycles in Richmond,VT if anyone is buying their Lynskey in New England.

Submitted by P.S. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2014

Strengths:    (1) very light and stiff; (2) titanium (durable as steel but much lighter); (3) made in America; (4) reasonably priced compared to other high-end Ti frames; (4) round tubes & nearly level top tube = good looks and clean lines; (5) makes riding fun!

Weaknesses:    (1) tire clearance is better than on racier bikes, but still fairly limited - 28 max on rear; and be careful about fork and brake selection if you want to run a tire any wider than 25 on the front

Bottom Line:
This bike is really fast, responsive, and stiff for a "comfort" bike. Riding position is fairly aggressive, even though chain stays are a bit longer and head tube is a bit higher than on a typical racing bike. The rear triangle is surprisingly stiff and the wheelbase is only longish, so there's not a lot of shock absorption on rough pavement, especially with skinnier tires. But the bike climbs very efficiently and is a blast to ride. For me (rapidly approaching AARP membership), this is a "go fast" bike ideal for weekend rides up to 60 miles. At 70-80 miles I start to feel it in my shoulders and neck and to wish I had cushier tires. This is not a complaint about the bike, just about getting older, and I could get the bars higher with a different stem. The aesthetics of this bike deserve special mention. It looks great, especially painted. Tubes are round and slightly larger than what you see on a steel bike. Top tube is not radically sloped, just a bit, and the decals are modest/minimalist. Looks like a road bike should look. Not overly precious or retro, on the one hand, and not plastered with flashy logos and advertising, on the other. In choosing this bike, the main competition was: (1) more expensive (Seven, Moots); (2) carbon (Specialized Roubaix); or (3) not as light and zippy as I wanted (Rivendell). Very happy to get a frame built in the U.S.A., as well.

R255/Peloton fit question

R255/Peloton fit question I am 179cm (5' 10.5") tall, 85cm (33.5") inseam,relatively long arms, and currently weigh 200lbs. I have looked at the geometry charts and see the M/L frame looks like the right fit without being able to get on the actual bike. Any of you with similar dimensions have ... Read More »

Lynskey R230 or R255

Hello I am interested in people's opinions on the respective merits of a Lynskey R255 compared with an R230. I'm currently riding a Giant Defy Advanced and am looking to upgrade to a Titanium. I'm 48, unfit but building fitness slowly. I don't see myself racing seriously but like long rides. I ri ... Read More »

Just ordered a new Lynskey R255 Ti bike

Lynskey is having a sale on their bikes. I received 35% off my total order. Couldn't beat that, so I added some upgrades to sweeten the deal! Item Sku Qty Subtotal 2014 R255 with Ultegra 6800 / Sram Force 22 / Dura Ace 9000 Natural Titanium or Painted Finish? Natural Titanium Finish ... Read More »

my new Lynskey R255

This past Saturday I picked up my new Lynskey R255. Full Ultegra groupset, mavic aksium wheelset, Specialzied Toupe saddle, Conti-GP 4000S tires, Cateye Stealth 10 computer ect....only put 80 miles on it and love it! I also have a Bianchi Infinto so the fit is just right! :) [ATTACH=CONFIG]27 ... Read More »