Lynskey Performance Designs R255 Road Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The Lynskey R255 is comfort, handling, quickness, durability and lightness combined into one package. Built with a 3/2.5 seamless triple butted tube set that ensures a quick pace and a head tube angle that provides precise handling, the R255 is sure to keep you riding with a smile no matter the distance.

Within the realm of our Pro and Sport series, the R255 is the only non-shaped, fully round tube model that we offer. So many of you asked us to build that classic riding and looking, relaxed geometry, elegant frame, and we listened. Tire clearance for a 28c tire was also on your wish list, therefore the R255 should be the new bike to check all the boxes.

Submitted by P.S. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2014

Strengths:    (1) very light and stiff; (2) titanium (durable as steel but much lighter); (3) made in America; (4) reasonably priced compared to other high-end Ti frames; (4) round tubes & nearly level top tube = good looks and clean lines; (5) makes riding fun!

Weaknesses:    (1) tire clearance is better than on racier bikes, but still fairly limited - 28 max on rear; and be careful about fork and brake selection if you want to run a tire any wider than 25 on the front

Bottom Line:
This bike is really fast, responsive, and stiff for a "comfort" bike. Riding position is fairly aggressive, even though chain stays are a bit longer and head tube is a bit higher than on a typical racing bike. The rear triangle is surprisingly stiff and the wheelbase is only longish, so there's not a lot of shock absorption on rough pavement, especially with skinnier tires. But the bike climbs very efficiently and is a blast to ride. For me (rapidly approaching AARP membership), this is a "go fast" bike ideal for weekend rides up to 60 miles. At 70-80 miles I start to feel it in my shoulders and neck and to wish I had cushier tires. This is not a complaint about the bike, just about getting older, and I could get the bars higher with a different stem. The aesthetics of this bike deserve special mention. It looks great, especially painted. Tubes are round and slightly larger than what you see on a steel bike. Top tube is not radically sloped, just a bit, and the decals are modest/minimalist. Looks like a road bike should look. Not overly precious or retro, on the one hand, and not plastered with flashy logos and advertising, on the other. In choosing this bike, the main competition was: (1) more expensive (Seven, Moots); (2) carbon (Specialized Roubaix); or (3) not as light and zippy as I wanted (Rivendell). Very happy to get a frame built in the U.S.A., as well.

Submitted by James Whitaker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2013

Strengths:    Completely bomb proof. Smoother than silk yet stiff and very responsive. Made in the USA!!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Without a doubt the riding bike I've ever been on. I wanted a titanium bike because its a little different. Then I called Lynskey and realized that I can call and talk to Don or whoever, whenever. Can't do that with specialized, cannondale etc. then I realized how custom they can be, you get exactly what you want. All that is great but falls short of the performance and ride of the bike. It is the best and it is timeless! Thank you Lynskey and everyone that has helped me in this process.

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace, enve fork, 3t bars, Chris king hubs and headset, thomson masterpeice seat tube, thomson stem, Stan's ztr alpha 400 wheels, speedplay pedals

Submitted by Rod Hewlett

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Strengths:    Light, stable, climbs well, and absorbs vibration extremely well.

Weaknesses:    Seat post clamp should be stainless steel with a stainless steel hex bolt - stripped the aluminum set-up.

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike and very good value for the quality and materials.

Submitted by Olivier Sels a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is very comfortable, fit is very good if you are not a pro racer and want to spend long days in the saddle or ride comfortably, looks are great and timeless and as it is titanium you have the durability! Possibility to put 28 mm tires in the frame. Did I mention the welds!

Weaknesses:    Non found yet

Bottom Line:
Bought this frame after riding with a R230 52cm bike (test bike in our shop) during quite a lot of rides in Belgium (where I live): 300 km and 400 km brevet and Liege-Bastogne_liege classic. Although the R230 is a wonderfull and comfortable bike, it was still too long for my riding style. So with my 1m80 length I was riding a 52 cm frame to feel comfortable after 24 hours in the saddle. Come late 2012 and the introduction of the R255 with a much shorter top tube for a given seat tube size and timeless looks. So now I am riding a 56 cm frame (which looks much better according to me compared to the seat height when I was riding the R230) and the position is great. Only did about 300 km on it yet, but first impressions:

- climbs very well
- feels as stiff as the R230 which you would not expect looking at the section of the downtube on the BB area (non ovalized)
- very comfortable so looking forward to doing brevets with this bike (did the Oude Kwaremont - max 11% on a 1600 m cobblestone climb - from the Tour of flanders and was able to shake of a lot of lighter carbon race bikes)
- very beautifull (according to al the guys around me)

So as mentioned above: this is not a pure crit racer (look for Lynskeys R340 or 440 if that is your cup of tea), but it is a very fast bike for people that love to ride looooooooong or just want to be in a comfortable position.

Purchased At:   Fietsen Koen, Belgiu

Similar Products Used:   Lynskey R230 and R340, steel Thorn Brevet randonneur bike

Bike Setup:   2013 SRAM Force WiFLI groupset, R45 ceramic hubs from Chris king, Chris King headset and BB bearings, Sapim CX ray spokes, DT Swiss R450 rims and Ritchey WCS cockpit and Ritchey Pro carbon fork. USE titanium seatpost and Brooks Proffessional titanium saddle. 8,2 kg in this configuration. With a 'normal' saddle it weighs just under 8 kg.

Submitted by Olivier Sels a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Weaknesses:    Non found yet

- climbs very well
- very beautifull (according to al the guys around me)

Purchased At:   Fietsen Koen, Belgiu

my new Lynskey R255

This past Saturday I picked up my new Lynskey R255. Full Ultegra groupset, mavic aksium wheelset, Specialzied Toupe saddle, Conti-GP 4000S tires, Cateye Stealth 10 computer ect....only put 80 miles on it and love it! I also have a Bianchi Infinto so the fit is just right! :) [ATTACH=CONFIG]27 ... Read More »