Marin Mountain Bikes Venezia Road Bike

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Frame Material: 7005 aluminum w/carbon seat stays
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Blue/Gloss Silver
Pedals: Alloy, Toe Clip and Strap
Tires: 700 x 28c Kenda Road

Submitted by Jeff Edgar

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2015

Strengths:    Strength of frame and wheels, I weigh about 250 lbs.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat isn't very comfortable, especially on 100 mile plus days.

Bottom Line:
I put on 600 miles this past summer on the Stihl Tour des Trees, across WI. Varied road surfaces, from gravel to smooth pavement, to denture shattering city streets. Did well in high winds, heavy rain and hail. The bike put up with all of that and more, while keeping up with more expensive rides.

Submitted by Joe Zane a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride, super agile, very light. Great stiffness/ride characteristics. Fantastic geometry. This frame should probably cost more.

Weaknesses:    The stock wheels suck.

Bottom Line:
I do a bunch of road races/rides and have found this bike to be fantastic. I put a couple hundred miles a week on the bike and love it. I'm 5'6" and have the 52.5cm frame. I have a Trek 2.1 in Seattle but I live in both Seattle and SF and I have the Marin in SF. I like both of them but actually prefer the Venezia even though the Trek cost me nearly 1.5x as much. The stock wheels were pretty crap though.

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2012

Strengths:    Frame's lifetime warranty, the ride, and comfort

Weaknesses:    Entry-level parts; but, the sky is the limit with upgrades no matter what level.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. I have ridden many different bikes with high end parts and frames. All I can say is this bikes performs great. I feel like it's shifting is very comparable to 105. It rides like a full carbon bike. Sure you can pay hundreds more for higher end parts; but, if you are a recreational rider who enjoys exercise and the outdoors then this is the perfect bike.

Submitted by beardguy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Descends quickly, simple, great geometry (2005 model, the new ones are weird).

Weaknesses:    stock saddle became uncomfortable after around 4,000 miles. Spokes broke on my alex wheels (alex's fault not marins, and I am not fat).

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is a little heavy, but it is fast, climbs well, and isn't too expensive so it can get rained on! I had a much nicer bike, but I got rid of it because I liked this bike much better. I've rode nearly 10,000 miles and all the components are still running strong and the frame is still in great shape. The Alex wheels absolutely sucked so I put 105 wheels on, and now I have the perfect bike.

Favorite Ride:   RAMROD

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tarmac

Bike Setup:   mostly stock. Sora 8 speed components, 105 wheels, Specialized Toupe Saddle.

Submitted by homesickelian a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth ride for aluminum. Pretty bike! (bright blue)that stands out from the rest.
Flexibility to upgrade, since the frame is so nice. (mainly carbor seat stay)
Everything is stock except for the rear wheel because a wipe out. Everything has lasted well.

Weaknesses:    2 things: Wheels are not that great and the stock brake pads are terrible, but last forever.

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike everywhere, as much as possible. I have worked it pretty hard as a city rider and it's been awesome.
Guess what? I paid 750$, do I expect awesome components? no, you get what you pay for so why would you complain about Sora and Tiagra components.
I mean the frame is awesome enough to have a carbon seat stay for that price. Marin has shifted the style and look since the 2005. Mine is not as "comfort oriented with the top bar no sloping up. Either way, I can say Marin's frame quality seems great! The welding is so well done and not sloppy looking. (which I hate when it is)

Purchased At:   REI