Marinoni USA Piuma Road Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Columbus Spirit road frame, customisable.

Submitted by EatsFats a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2013

Strengths:    Confident ride, fairly light for the price. Good cornering

Weaknesses:    Is not super light or super stiff as the best carbon fibre frames.

Bottom Line:
I walked into the store looking for another bike. Eventually came out with this one. For the price, it is similar weight to many carbon fibre bikes, but this one felt right. It felt like part of me when I was riding.
For the price I could get a custom or semi-custom Marinoni or a stock, off-the-shelf bike in carbon fibre or aluminium, but this felt right. After a couple of years, this is definitely been a durable ride, no complaints really.
The stock saddle was the biggest let-down, way too fat & padded. Swapped it out immediately for a decent Fizik. The tires are a bit of a low point too, but passable. Swap them out to reach full potential. (The wheels are fine). It will never hit the super-light category as you're always about 500g off the lightest carbon frames, but my steel Piuma weights in at 8.5kg with bottle cage, pedal, computer. Ready to ride, so none to shabby and I don't worry about durability, plus it's a bit of a sleeper so may not catch attention of the thieves.
One thing about this bike that does better than others... it corners really, really well. I can brake super late and just lay it down and take a corner and it feels like it is glued to the road. I lean over at angles that I never thought possible with my prior rides.
I did notice that it is less stiff, more "springy" than similar price carbon machines. When you go for all out sprint, there is a slight lag and then it seems to spring forward at speed. The carbon bikes seem to jump immediately. I cannot honestly say it is slower or faster, but the lag is noticeable. (I guess similar to turbo lag? :-) you can feel it, but doesn't mean it will be a slow accelerating car).
No regrets about getting this one. Highly recommended, honestly if you're looking at this price range, even the carbon bikes are same weight, so why not get something a bit more durable and in you choice of colours and even geometry.

Submitted by Bertrand a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, light, attractive. One of the best and cheapest custom frame alternatives out there.

Weaknesses:    After two years, none.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame two years ago. I dialogued with Luc at Marinoni to customize it. The transaction was very pleasant and easy. For about $900 Cdn I got a customized frame, painted from a choice of 40 colours, with my name on the top tube. After two years I still love this thing. It will be with me forever!

Favorite Ride:   Saanich

Purchased At:   Straight Up Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Steel Bianchi, steel Bertrand, aluminum Motobecane LeChamp SL, Specialized Roubaix.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, FSA cranks, DT Swiss wheels and hubs, Ritchey WCS stem and bars, Thomson seat post, Selle SMP Glider saddle.

Piuma road from Calabasas

How hard is this climb? Is the descent tricky? Also does it go to PCH?Read More »

Marinoni Piuma Ti or Serotta Legend Ti

I am considering a custom Marinoni Ti or Serotta Legend. Has anyone ridden a Marinoni Ti? Any feedback would be appreciated. If all things were equal, which they are not, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Serotta but with Dura Ace it cost @$7900.00 US - Marinoni with Dura Ace @$6500.00 Cdn - a big diff ... Read More »

My Marinoni Piuma - Built!

I posted my new Marinoni as a frame a couple of weeks back, and I've finally gotten it built up. I thought I'd post a few pics. Before anyone gets started....I know, I know! the red Conti tires have to go!! Other than that, it's a good build. Dura Ace drivetrain, brakes. Ksyrium Elite Wheels, ... Read More »