Masi Evoluzione Road Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

Our amazing Evoluzione Apex features the same Total Overdrive System as the rest of the Evo line, and with SRAM’s Apex group, it’s quite possibly the ultimate bike for the long distance rider looking for a lightweight and efficient partner for all-day long adventures. The Apex group, with WiFLi (Wider, Faster, Lighter) gearing means you can now ride up hills that used to require a triple crankset. It’s a ground breaking bike for riders who want the best performance possible without a price or weight penalty.

Submitted by Joe a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    Rides/handles well
Good for sprinting
Looks great

Weaknesses:    Heavier frame/fork (like most bikes at this price).
Stock wheels: Mine had Mavic CXP-22 rims, they come out of true easily and are heavy (-0.25 stars value/overall).
Apex gearing: No need for a 32 in the rear, I switched to an 11-25 rear cassette (-0.75 stars value/overall).
White bar tape gets dirty easily.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike if you are just getting into road racing, like the feel of carbon frames, and are not too much of a weight weenie. Especially if you get a good price. Upgrade to a high modulus frame (Masi or other brand) if you are a weight weenie or plan to race seriously...

That being said the engine (i.e. your fitness) will take you a lot farther than a lighter bike. I can keep up with riders on Tarmac pros and Madone 5's and drop rich kids with bikes much too expensive for their lack of fitness.

This is a good bike for the price and it seems to perform similarly to other bikes in this price range. The frame feels great and sprints well. Apex shifting works, although it is not as smooth as something higher up the range like force/ultegra. The real lows are the apex 11-32 gearing and the stock wheels on the '11 model. If you are buying a carbon bike there is no need for a 11-32 gearing; you are basically never going to use the 32 in a race setting, and the 28 is still overkill with a compact crank. I suggest replacing that with an 11-25/26/27 cassette. The stock wheel set (mavic cxp-22 for my model) come untrue quite easily. I have upgraded wheels (rol race sl) and only use the original rear wheel for my indoor trainer.

That being said, you get what you pay for and with a few upgrades I am happy with my bike! It looks and feels great, and I have had no problems with it.

Favorite Ride:   Wednesday Worlds!

Similar Products Used:   Caad 10: rougher feel, but may be a better value if you can take it.

Bike Setup:   2011 evo apex
rol race sl (awesome wheel set)
fizik antares saddle
shimano 105 cassette (11-25)

Submitted by Shaun C a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Firstly I was fortunate to buy new at half price. As my first carbon frame and first new bike ever I was pretty excited. Previous road bikes have been too small but the 59 cm Masi fits perfectly.
It took me a few days to work out SRAM shifting but now I don't notice any difference to 105. The cabinet frame soaks up bumps and accelerates like a rocket.
At a budget bike I have had no problems except for the wheels which is constantly needing to be trued.
I regularly crack KOMs on Strava such is the speed of the bike.. I have numerous other bikes which can't compare to the times I get on the Masi. Great BB, handling and internal cables means it takes on bikes at least twice the cost (make that 4 times the price since I got mine half price).
I now wonder why my TT bike is so slow and am thinking I need to upgrade to full carbon.
The Masi CX also looks like a big winner for commuting and may well be my next bike. Just got to clear one out of the garage first.

Weaknesses:    Mavic wheels seem to buckle often but could be harsh treatment on harsh roads and bike paths here in Australia.

Bottom Line:
get one. They even look good and regularly get sideways admiring glances from cycling obsessed individuals trying to see what the hell just overtook them. Or they are just walking past and trying to read the brand.

Submitted by Ed a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2012

Strengths:    BB30, available with SRAM Apex, lively carbon road feel, geometry is both responsive and stable

Weaknesses:    More pricey option may be a tad stiffer

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with the look of the bike at the 2011 HHH. What attracted me was the price of a Euro-style bicycle with "budget" componentry in the form of SRAM with a BB30 set-up. The ride of the bicycle is typical of carbon with a fair amount of shock-dampening, but with a liveliness not felt with many other frame brands. I have ridden over a dozen bicycles, and I have not encountered a bicycle with the handling confidence of this one. This is one of the funnest, fastest bikes I have ridden.

Favorite Ride:   carless

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   from Masi

Similar Products Used:   Murray, Schwinn, Cannondale, GT, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Serotta, Bianchi, Leader

Bike Setup:   Apex with Force cranks, carbon handlebar, specialized saddle & upgraded wheels

Masi Evoluzione Apex 2012

I'm thinking of buying last years Masi Apex with all SRAM components. I'm getting 25% off the MSRP which works out ot be about $1632 all in. I ride long distance on good roads and love hills. Is this the right bike for me? I'm willing to spend anywhere from 1600-2200 and I want a carbon bike. This d ... Read More »

new Masi Evoluzione HMC build

so after getting outbid (while distracted by dinner) last night on a brand new Ridley Damocles ($810.):( , today, on my B-day I win this Mazi Evoluzione. I wonder if it's the same frame as the Ribbles and the Pedalforce RS3? A frame that's re-branded and sold by different company's? At any rate th ... Read More »

2011 Masi Evoluzione

I'm usually pretty immune to hawt bikes but this one got my attention tonight at the races. (warning huuuuuge photo) [url]http://www.infernoracing.org/equipment/[/url]Read More »

Masi Evoluzione

I have narrowed down my choices to the Masi Evoluzione APEX or the Specialized Roubaix Elite. Anyone have thoughts or opinions on the Masi?Read More »