Masi Special Road Bike

Steel frame and fork, Shimano 105, Ultegra RD, Truvativ compact crankset.

Submitted by D Wardy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Super comfortable, responsive on the break, and great handling for downhills.

Weaknesses:    The triple set up is a little heavy, but so am I-when I lose around 20 pounds I can start complaining about the 2-3 extra pounds on my bike ;)

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a second road bike for winter riding and found this one on craigslist one morning and had to check it out. I went and looked at the bike and pretty much bought it on the spot. It has a mix of components (105 shifters & derailleurs, FSA triple cranks, SRAM cassette, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Carbon fork), but the set up is really smooth. The key on this bike is how comfortable a ride it is-I love the steel bike frame ride so much I have rode this more than my 'summer' road bike over the last few months (a Specialized Allez with all Utlegra 10speed double set-up).

I have told many friends about this bike I have become an instant fan of the Masi bikes. Super handling on down-hills; very responsive on a break; and amazing for long rides.

Favorite Ride:   Pill Hill from Sellwood going North

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Scattante XRL, Specialized Allez, Kestrel all Carbon, Masi Speciale fixed, Bianchi Veloce, Centurion Elite.

Bike Setup:   2007 Masi Speciale all steel frame; Shimano 105 shifters, derailleures (F&B); FSA triple comp cranks; SRAM cassette; Carbon forks & seat-post; aluminum stem & bars; Vuelta Zerolite wheel-set; conti-gatroskin tires.

Submitted by FatBat a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    Forgiving steel ride, predictable handling, Ultegra rear derailleur, somewhat traditional look to frame.

Weaknesses:    Stupid carbon-wrapped aluminum seatpost. Weights about 3 lbs more than similarly-spec'd aluminum bike, but cyclists who want steel won't make that a top priority.

Bottom Line:
Why has roadbikereview.com not updated the review form to cover any bike newer than 2007? And why can't a reviewer distinguish between the Speciale and the Speciale CX when trying to post?

2009 Masi Speciale 105. This is not the Speciale CX cross/touring bike. This is purely a road bike, and 2010 model is just called Speciale. Weighs just over 21 lbs for 56cm frame.

I prefer this bike's steel ride to similarly-priced aluminum bikes from Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale. Also, not able to spend more than 2K for a carbon bike, and no intentions on racing, so I went with this bike for the ride and the looks (lugged fork, ruby red).

Favorite Ride:   hilly backroads

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheelworks

Similar Products Used:   Masi Speciale CX is completely different. Weighs 24.5 lbs for 56cm frame, ready for racks, more of a touring bike than a cross bike.

Bike Setup:   Replaced "pretend" carbon seatpost with Thompson aluminum post.

Nova Special X tire width

I have a circa 1990 Nova Special X and was wondering what the widest tires were that I could put on it. I bought it new around 1990 and still have the original Dura Ace components installed. It's been sitting around for a number of years and I want to get it going again and use it as a general purpo ... Read More »

Chavanel special paint SL4

What do you think about the color scheme of the Chavanel Tour de France Birthday SL4? [url]http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/539461/tour-de-france-bike-sylvain-chavanel-s-specialized-tarmac-s-works-sl4.html[/url] Personally I do like it a lot!Read More »

Need special tires for rollers?

Going to sell my trainer and pick up a set of rollers. Do you need trainer tires like on trainer for rollers? I had rollers years ago and never heard training tires or had issues with regular road tires my rollers.Read More »

My CIOCC SL Special restoration, picture heavy.

So I found a real bargain on a Ciocc SL Special recently. I stripped her down, cleaned her up and went from this: [URL=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/pete2528ca/media/5B75AF38-10A5-4412-BE0B-E7A2F567F837-557-000000279B428418.jpg.html][IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/pete2528ca/5B75AF ... Read More »

Special Pads for Carbon Wheels and Adjustment

I got a great set of Chinese carbon wheels on ebay and installed a new cassette and installed yellow pads for carbon wheels. This is on my Sirrus Limited and the brakes are squealing every time I stop. My pads are angled so the front of the pad contacts first. This was no problem with the stock D ... Read More »